G26 or XD9SC?

This is a discussion on G26 or XD9SC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to this forum and have been spending time looking through a lot of threads,and have seen a lot of love given to the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: G26 or XD9SC?

G26 or XD9SC?

I'm new to this forum and have been spending time looking through a lot of threads,and have seen a lot of love given to the G26.I've had my SA XD9 Service for a year now(my first handgun,btw),and love it.I'm thinking about an XD9SC for carry.I'm also considering a single stack 9mm,but that's probably a different thread.How does the G26 and XD9SC compare when it comes to everyday carry?Are they basically the same gun,just different mfrs?

2. Remove Ads

cmb
    I do not have either, but do admire both. I would say your XD9 is similar in size to G19. XD's have grip safety slightly different ergonomics, so I am sure there are differences. To me the 26 and sc are just smaller versions if that is what you want. If your looking thin and light there are other options for that. If it were me, I would carry the larger guns, a couple ounces in weight, >1" in height and length, nothing in a good rig and suitable clothes, and the capacity is increased 50 - 60%.

While I prefer the G26, they are very similar. Since you already have an XD Service, I would look at the XD SC. I bought a G26 to accomodate my G19. I can share holsters, mags and ammo. Just makes sense.

I just realized that is the first time I've ever recommended an XD!

I like the G-26 a little better personally. While I carry one occasionally I prefer its big sister the G-27 in .40. Both are good guns but glock reliability is hard to beat.
    Kimber Ultra CDP 2
    Sam Andrews Macdaniel 2 holster
    Sam Andrews Monarch Rig
    Glock 27 backup weapon
    S&W 642 .38 airweight
    NRA member

I own and shoot both the G26 and the XD9Sc and have nothing bad to say about either one. In my hands both have performed well with neither having encountered any trouble of any kind.

I have never been able to feel comfortable with the Glock Safe Action system. Therefore my choice for concealed carry is the XD with the grip safety. Purely a personal choice based on personal comfort.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Having handled both and owning one (Glock-26), I prefer the Glock-26.
    My EDC is a Kimber Ultra.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

So....should I actually post anything here on this subject? Or does my reputation precede me?
    G26

Both are fine firearms. Go with the one you are most comfortable with that feels good in your hands and shoots well. You can't miss which either one so don't sweat it.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

I am bias, but think about this. You are already used to the grip angle of the SA. The Glock is more angle (one reason I dont like it). Put both in your hand and see how they feel. Safeties, XDs cant be beaten. As far as reliability, I would say they are on par with each other. My vote is for the XD, naturally.

Pick them up and feel the balance of them. The XD is very ill balanced IMO. The Glock has many more parts and accessories readily available and is overall more rugged in my opinion. Go with the 26 you wont be sorry.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

The Glock 26 and XD9 SC are fine pistols. I have fired and owned both. However, as one already has noted, I feel an additional safety factor with the grip safety on the XD. For open carry it makes no difference to me, but for concealed carry where the pistol is still hidden away among clothing, it does makes a difference to me.

Because you already have the XD 9 Service Model, the XD9 magazine will fit the XD9 SC with the extender collar adapter which comes with the XD Gear on new sales (or about $10.00 for the collar purchased separately).

Since you already own an XD9 I would go with the XD9 SC same magazine, same feel, same controls.

One thing you may want to consider is Glock's have a 22lr conversion unit, where XD's do not, I am not sure if you can get it for the Glock 26, but 22lr ammo is a lot cheaper than 9mm and 22lr make a fine starter gun for new shooters. I just bought my daughter a Glock 17 with the 22lr conversion unit, once we get the basics down, I can change it back to 9mm for her. I wish Springfield or someone made a 22lr conversion unit for the XD.
    Semper Fi

Thanks for the replies.I think Glock makes a fine pistol,and I was very close to buying a G19 when I decided on the XD.As some pointed out,the grip angle and the grip safety sold me on the XD.I wanted to keep an open mind when considering which subcompact to get,so that's why I asked.Now I'm considering single stack vs double stack.....
    Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Heres what I shot with my G26 today at the range.
    It was at 15 yards with 115 gr. FMJ. shooting free hand ,standing.
    I think the XD9SC that my friend let me shoot a few weeks ago
    will do about the same , so no matter what you go with I think you
    will be happy.

Attached Images
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelxd View Post
    I'm new to this forum and have been spending time looking through a lot of threads,and have seen a lot of love given to the G26.I've had my SA XD9 Service for a year now(my first handgun,btw),and love it.I'm thinking about an XD9SC for carry.I'm also considering a single stack 9mm,but that's probably a different thread.How does the G26 and XD9SC compare when it comes to everyday carry?Are they basically the same gun,just different mfrs?

2 completely different firearms with totally different features.
    If you like the XD9, it's likely you'll like the XD9SC. I wasn't big on my XD9 years ago, but it was a gen1. Like my XD9SC as does my wife. I also have a M&P9C that's slightly thinner than the XD, nearly identical in length (some things to not like on XD and M&P). The main feature you'll like about the XD over the Glock is that you must actuate the grip safety on a XD to rack the slide, great idea but one that could create a problem for defensive carry should you ever need to chamber injured.

As for the G26, it's a Glock. If you've ever owned or fired one, you know what Glocks are about...rapid defense deployment.

The problem I mention is this: You've not chambered a round, but a magazine is inserted. A situation occurs that causes you to be injured, possibly on the ground, possibly able to use just one arm, or maybe an injured back that is allowing movement in one arm but the hand is weak. The XD will require proper actuating pressure on the grip safety to work a one-handed chamber across an edged surface, pant leg, thigh, belly, or what ever you find that will aid in chambering. The Glock will be able to be chambered in akward grip positions, whereas the XD will not.

This is not a typical problem for the CCW'er, but the one-handed chambering is something that LEO's are often taught in the event that just such a scenario occurs.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links