Inexpensive Starter pt 2 - end result

This is a discussion on Inexpensive Starter pt 2 - end result within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, so taking everything in the previous thread into account, and going in prepared to spend more than the originally planned $300, I went to ...

Thread: Inexpensive Starter pt 2 - end result

Ok, so taking everything in the previous thread into account, and going in prepared to spend more than the originally planned $300, I went to Fuquay Gun & Gold (Thanks, Pirate!) yesterday to see what I could find that both my wife and I would be happy with. I had decided that if I found something that would serve the double purpose of carry and practice, I would get it, but I was primarily looking for a target gun bigger than a 22.

There was a pretty good variety for a wide range of prices. I glanced over some of the .380's, but was more interested in the 9mm's. We found three that were fairly small, and, surprisingly, right in the price range I was originally looking at! We rejected one fairly quickly - my wife's hand didn't fit it well. The remaining two were a Taurus and a Kel-Tec, almost the same size. After quite a bit more consideration, we finally selected the Kel-Tec - PF9. We both liked how it felt better than the Taurus.

Today, we took it to the range. Seems it was a pretty decent choice. My wife was OK with the recoil - a bit more than she had expected (no surprise, moving to a 9 from a 22), but not too much. The only complaint she had is that it was a bit uncomfortable for sustained shooting - the back of the grip is a bit rough, so I'm going to look into options for padding it somehow (Anyone know if there are replacement grips or similar accessories available?).

So, all in all I'm pretty satisfied. And very happy that I posted here before shopping. The advice I got led me to consider options that I had not been considering previously, and I think I made a better decision as a result. Thanks!

(BTW, I took the kids & had them shooting our 10/22. Now my son wants a Cricket! Oh, and it seems that 22LR ammo is almost impossible to find in the Raleigh area.)

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Glad you found something that works for you and the wife. I knew Clay at Fuquay Gun and Gold would take care of you. He is a straight up guy and his prices are very competative. If I were you I would go to the KTOG (Kel Tec Owners Group site and forum) since they have a lot of info and help for KT owners, including info on how to do the famous Kel Tec "fluff and buff" to smooth out your Kel Tec pistol a bit.

KTOG.Org - Kel-Tec Owners Group

As far as helping with grip I would suggest the Hogue Handall or Handall Jr. You can trim them to fit if needed and it should work well on the PF9. Clay should have them in stock and so will PDHSC in Garner. Below is a photo of one on my CW40. It help with softening recoil a bit and helps your grip with sweaty hands but it does increase the width of the grip some and this may effect your wifes grip. The Wally World in Fuquay had a lot .22lr ammo in stock last week. I also was in the one in Morrisville last week and they has .22lr also.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=654041
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Also check out the A-Grip

Nothing like a Sunday at the range with the family! Glad you've both found something that will work. I've actually said something about the Kel-Tec pistols in another thread today. I've handled some and dry fired them, and I could imagine the recoil in something so small and light in 9mm and could imagine it not really being a range pistol to put 100 rounds through in one day. 22lr ammo around these parts isn't real hard to find. Our local Wally Worlds keep getting it most of the time, and even the bulk deals like the Rem 550 round boxes, and the Winchester 330 round boxes. I know that 10/22 is fun for everybody and it's nothing to burn up a few hundred in short order. Getting the kids into shooting, safety, and fun is what it should all be about, and it's those times when we know that despite the tribulations or costs of putting it all together, we know those moments are priceless and imprint memories in our minds that won't be soon forgotten and the satisfaction of knowing we had fun yesterday or today no matter what happens tomorrow.
    If you continue to have problems finding 22lr ammo, some of us in other parts of the country would like to know. That way maybe we could start sending some CARE packages your way to see that the kids have ear-to-ear smiles every now and then. Be careful, be safe.

Congrats I hope you and your wife enjoy. Now what's next, you can't have just one. LOL!!!

Congrats on the purchase.
    Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    As far as helping with grip I would suggest the Hogue Handall or Handall Jr. You can trim them to fit if needed and it should work well on the PF9. Clay should have them in stock and so will PDHSC in Garner. Below is a photo of one on my CW40.
    The main discomfort is at the top back of the grip - the edge of the grip shoves back between the thumb & forefinger, and the hand gets a bit raw fairly quickly. Can they be trimmed to fit that high?[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Also check out the A-Grip
    Thanks - I will

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    if you are shooting the PF9 without the pinkie rest magazine extension, you will notice a bit more recoil and muzzle flip induced pain in the web of your hand. If you haven't discovered already, the finger rest extension gives you much greater control over the weapon for follow up shots, and controls muzzle flip.

surv

It's not the Glock I recommended but I am glad you found something that works for both of you. That is what is most important. Just make sure the weapon is 100% reliable with the ammo you plan to carry. I like to shoot 100+ rounds of carry ammo and another 200-300 of good target ammo before I carry a weapon. For CC may I recommend the Speer Gold dots, these are great in 9mm.
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Links