Kahr PM9 - Stainless vs Black slide

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9 - Stainless vs Black slide within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently handled a Kahr PM9 with the black finished slide. To me, the slide felt very rough and acted like it did not want ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr PM9 - Stainless vs Black slide

I recently handled a Kahr PM9 with the black finished slide. To me, the slide felt very rough and acted like it did not want to return to battery. I own a PM9 with the stainless slide and it functions flawlessly, but the slide has a much smoother feel. Has anyone else who has handled both noticed this?

VIP Member
    I've noticed this with a lot of different autos. I'm not sure if it's the finish or simply a bad fit due to mass productions. If I were to buy a new EDC auto today, it would be a Wilson Combat.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

i actually like all black slide better,but don't know why the stainless would work any smoother then the all black? mabey a lemon?

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Never tried a stainless one but I don't have any issues with the black DLC slide on my PM9.

My guess is that the blackened slide on your gritty sample would have been just as gritty if it had...been stainless. Luck of the draw, that's all.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

PM9 needs a break in of around 200 rounds. It should be smooth after that but the slide does feel very stiff when pulling back. This gun needs religious cleaning and lubricating. If are the type that does not clean your gun after every range session this probably will not be a gun for you.

I would definitely get the blackened slide since that finish is much more corrosion resistant. If you are going to carry it in your hot sweaty pocket it will be worth it. Regular stainless steel is no match for human sweat.

My best friend has a PM-9 with a black slide I have one with a stainless slide we swap guns ocassionally I did not notice any difference other than the color.

Are you talking about a nib factory finished version, or one that was refinished by someone?

If it was a factory job, I'd say it was the luck o' the draw.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Quote Originally Posted by kdydak View Post
    PM9 needs a break in of around 200 rounds. It should be smooth after that but the slide does feel very stiff when pulling back. This gun needs religious cleaning and lubricating. If are the type that does not clean your gun after every range session this probably will not be a gun for you.

I would definitely get the blackened slide since that finish is much more corrosion resistant. If you are going to carry it in your hot sweaty pocket it will be worth it. Regular stainless steel is no match for human sweat.
    Actually I've gone a couple of range sessions between cleanings without incident during break-in. The total betwen both sessions was 200 rounds but the only problem I had was caused by my thumb hitting the slide stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorflyr View Post
    Are you talking about a nib factory finished version, or one that was refinished by someone?

If it was a factory job, I'd say it was the luck o' the draw.
    NIB factory - I think. I wasn't looking to purchase (was using it to try out a holster) so I didn't ask. It almost felt like the recoil spring was weak. Of course, I wasn't looking to buy it so I didn't examine it that closely but I happened to think about it later.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    You may want to call Kahr and have them look at it. I haven't needed them but have heard they have very good customer service.

I have the black DLC on my PM-9 and have never encountered a single hiccup with it. I assume since you were handling it in a store you weren't locking the slide back and using the slide release to send it home. If you were easing the slide down, it would tend to be normal on a new gun for it to not close up completely, DLC or stainless.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

If it was NIB then it could be a lube issue. I know some guns come from the factory very very dry and my PM9 definitely needs to be well lubricated.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

Distinguished Member
    I can't accept the luck of the draw that seems to be more and more prevalant these days. Gun manufacturers are racing to stock the shelves and deliver new carry options to the market. The result....bad quality control. In a firearm, that's not acceptable. I've complained a great deal about Kahr when it comes to quality but they're not alone. Even old S&W is sending out a lot of stuff that they're getting back. We work hard for the money, so should they.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Both of mine are stainless and I thought about getting another set in the black but with most of my other guns being all black, I figured I'd go with something different. I didn't notice anything different when fondling them in the gun shop.

KCGator
    Glock 23, 26, 27, 30, & 36
    Kahr PM9, PM40, & PM45
    Springfield Armory XD9SC & XD40SC
    Taurus 85GRY2UL
    Beretta PX4 Storm SC 9mm
    Keltec P3AT & NAA 22LLR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links