Looking for Smaller All-Steel 1911

This is a discussion on Looking for Smaller All-Steel 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Who makes all-steel or all-stainless 1911 single-stacks with something like 6+1 capacity and something like a 4" barrel? I'm not finding anything and am getting ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Smaller All-Steel 1911

Looking for Smaller All-Steel 1911

Who makes all-steel or all-stainless 1911 single-stacks with something like 6+1 capacity and something like a 4" barrel? I'm not finding anything and am getting frustrated looking.

I don't want a) alloy frame, b) polymer frame, c) 'sub-compact' or 3" barrel stuff, d) Kimber, or e) Wilson Combat.

If I can't find anything meeting the above, then I see my choices as 1) P220 Compact or 2) I'll custom build a P220 Carry Elite Stainless or 3) HK45c. Options 1) and 3) I don't care for because I don't want an alloy frame, and Option 2 I don't care for because it's a lot of work and a lot of adrenaline involved in cutting up a gun. :)

Suggestions? I've suggested 6+1 mostly because I know I can tolerate a 6-round single stack grip okay, and it's short enough to make concealment reasonably possible.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Dan Wesson make a CCO that should fit the bill if it has a steel frame...

ETA it's alloy.

Springfield has a 3.5" w/ a steel frame.

Other than that I think you're up the creek.

The STI Guardian is what you want it has the 4" slide and the compact frame that holds 6+ 1. This gun is all steel.

Here you go:

STI International - Guardian

Administrator

The STI Guardian in 45

It has a Officers length frame & the barrel is 3.9" (you could blink and call that 4")

OK Adam500 beat me to it but, that was only because I was uploading the photo to our gallery rather than hot-linking to it.

Adam I deleted your original photo and added the one from our gallery into your above post.

VIP Member
    Well, it's not a 1911 but it will work. Basics; 8+1 single stack, small footprint width 1.14", reliable & super safe, solid as a tank and forged steel.
    Regards,
    Attached Images
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Well, it's not a 1911 but it will work. Basics; 8+1 single stack, small footprint width 1.14", reliable & super safe, solid as a tank and forged steel.
    Regards,

Wow Saber, like your style! H&K squeeze-cocker. Very nice. I've had my eye on one of those locally for a few months now. I'm just too cheap to buy it for what they're asking.

For 1911 all steel, you could look at the Ed Brown, Dan Wesson, STI, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk Customs, etc.
    Chances are that you'll have difficulty finding something that's not an alloy these days in a 1911 without purchasing an older one.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diverdown247 View Post
    Wow Saber, like your style! H&K squeeze-cocker. Very nice. I've had my eye on one of those locally for a few months now. I'm just too cheap to buy it for what they're asking.

For 1911 all steel, you could look at the Ed Brown, Dan Wesson, STI, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk Customs, etc.
    Chances are that you'll have difficulty finding something that's not an alloy these days in a 1911 without purchasing an older one.
    Thanks, it's going in for a new coat the next time I drive to Phoenix at Robar Industries. So, unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse, it's a keeper' for sure.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Colt makes the Commander in a SS Slide and Frame which is a 4 1/4 inch barrel. But that is an 8+1

Colt's Manufacturing Company LLC

Unfortunately it seems most of the the smaller frames assume you want light too as they seem to be marketing to the Concealed carry and so they assume light and small is where the major market is. They are right to some degree I guess.

Thanks to everyone! I would simply fumbled about until I accidentally ran across something, and it was looking like I wasn't going to get anywhere soon. Yes, I'm not attracted to 'lightweight' and sure don't like the little sub-compacts. The STI looks good--would have to do something about the two-tone ghastliness, but that's easy. Thanks--you guys got me off to a good start.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I believe the Kimber Raptor can be gotten in all steel in a 4 inch.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Administrator
    There is also the vintage chopped Detonics .45. All Stainless steel.
    Now I believe that barrel is shorter than 4" BUT, due to the unique Detonics recoil spring configuration and the bushingless barrel there are no feed reliability issues with the Detonics.
    Detonics DID solve the chopped barrel feeding problem.
    If you can find one with a few extra mags - you would be good to go on that one also.
    It's built like a freakin' tank. I owned one way back when. The rear sight is located weirdly but, who cares really.
    They do pop up on Gunbroker.

Try Sig

Sig makes its 1911 line in a variety of configurations, including an all stainless steel compact model with shorter grip and 4.2 inch barrel, weighing 30.3 ounces empty. The magazine is 7 rounds.

Link to Sig webpage for stainless compact 1911

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I believe the exact one you want is the Kimber Compact II. Check Kimbers website for this excellent gun.

It has the 4" barrel and shorter, Officers Model length 6 round grip. Beautiful gun but I sold mine to fund my Colt Delta Elite. I miss it.

Yup, a lot of Kimbers will fill the bill. Except that the OP stated no Kimbers...

Too bad too, I love my three, but I'm biased...

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo Boy View Post
    Thanks to everyone! I would simply fumbled about until I accidentally ran across something, and it was looking like I wasn't going to get anywhere soon. Yes, I'm not attracted to 'lightweight' and sure don't like the little sub-compacts. The STI looks good--would have to do something about the two-tone ghastliness, but that's easy. Thanks--you guys got me off to a good start.

Custom order from STI should take care of the two-tone if it's not your thing...you just need to request it.
    I'm seeing a lot more aluminum alloy stuff on the market these days.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links