Glocks and Safety

Glocks and Safety

This is a discussion on Glocks and Safety within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do Glocks have a higher incidence of negligent discharge then other makes of handguns..there was a article on the internet not too long ago stating ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Glocks and Safety

Do Glocks have a higher incidence of negligent discharge then other makes of handguns..there was a article on the internet not too long ago stating Glock has been sued more often for "accidental discharge" then all other gun makers combined..any truth to this?

I've personally never heard of that, they are just as safe if not safer than a lot of others.

cmb
    I utilize DAO guns all the time, I can't beleive it is any higher and have not seen anything to indicate it is. They may be the most widely known and perhaps most sold, if I make and sell 3 guns and 1 has an issue with this and Glock sells a million and only 1000 rports are in, my issues are higher.

I do know some law enforcement agancies specify trigger pull weights to 7-8 lbs (NY triggers).

While an accidental discharge can occur, the only time my guns go off in when I pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by cmb View Post
    While an accidental discharge can occur, the only time my guns go off in when I pull the trigger.
    Can't agree more. None of the Glocks that I've owned ever went off without me pulling the trigger.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    More often than not, an unintentional discharge is usually referred to as negligent because more often than not it is due to the trigger being pulled.

Glocks are no more potentially dangerous than any other modern day handgun.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Senior Moderator
    Don't read into this, I carry a Glock and am just about ready to buy another Glock. But, number of occurrances of ADs indicated by claims cannot be explained because there are more Glocks sold than other guns. The AD claim strongly indicates a large disproportion between the number of Glocks in service and ADs.

So what remains is there either has to be some reality to to the claims, or the claims are inaccurate, etc. It is interesting to note that a Glock has a fairly short, and light trigger for a DAO type action (I know it's a safe action, etc., etc.). It's interesting in discussions regarding trigger pull weights, connectors, etc., many, if not most, feel that the lighter the trigger, the more likely an unintentional discharge. For example, a buddy had some competition trigger work done on his Glock and wound up with a 2 lb trigger. Most would gasp and say that's too light for carry, but why? Well the trigger pull is too light. But what does that have to do with anything? If we don't put our finger on the trigger, how can it fire?

The point is that as we move to a lighter and lighter trigger, common sense would dictate that the chances of a 'touch' discharge goes up.

It is interesting that departments that go to heavier, longer DAO triggers don't seem to talk about unintentional discharges.

But I do believe Glocks are as safe as they need to be. I also believe we need to be aware that if we snag the trigger on anything, esp. in the process of holstering, the Glock's lighter, shorter trigger pull with no mechanical safety backup, such as the XD's grip safety, will discharge with less pressure on it than a DA with a longer, heavier trigger pull.

And to address the 'they won't go off unless we pull the trigger' - that simply isn't true. There have been any number of cases of guns discharging without a finger being on the trigger. The latest I remember was the pilot that shoved the handgun into a holster with a lock in the holster and shot a hole in the airplane.

I have read of several incidents where in the reholstering process, an obstacle came in contact with the trigger and discharged the weapon. Massod Ayood wrote of an incident with a Sig where an LEO was placing the gun in a locker and I forget the details, but the gun discharged and the LEO's finger was not on the trigger.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    Can't agree more. None of the Glocks that I've owned ever went off without me pulling the trigger.

+1 I have owned Glocks for more than 20 years......even in the dark inside my safe when there are no witnesses....they are safe.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    Glocks are no more potentially dangerous than any other modern day handgun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    But I do believe Glocks are as safe as they need to be. I also believe we need to be aware that if we snag the trigger on anything, esp. in the process of holstering, the Glock's lighter, shorter trigger pull with no mechanical safety backup, such as the XD's grip safety, will discharge with less pressure on it than a DA with a longer, heavier trigger pull.
    Couldn't agree more. Unless the trigger safety is depressed the trigger remains out of alignment (barring any mechanical failure).

Always careful when holstering, I keep my finger along side of the trigger housing until the holster takes over.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

A Glock is as safe as any other pistol out there...

However, there are some Glock operators that are unsafe, and are more likely to have a ND than others.

I use ND, because the way I see it, AD's are very rare animals.

Safety is between your ears, not a mechanical device.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

When I first joined the forum, somebody had the signature line:

"Keep your Bugger Hook off the Bang Button, and you'll be just fine."

That about sums it up.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

As with all firearms, it's a "finger" thing. I trust my Kimbers, and my Glocks equally...I do have to keep training my finger.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I saw a vid of two guys trying to make a Glock AD. After several attempts to try to make it AD. They finally had to place a cleaning rod trough the trigger guard and pull it with both hands to make it fire.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    What you are dealing with is negligent discharges not accidental discharges
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by kylebce View Post
    When I first joined the forum, somebody had the signature line:

"Keep your Bugger Hook off the Bang Button, and you'll be just fine."

That about sums it up.
    I had to quit pickin' my nose to type how funny I thought this was

Quote Originally Posted by mlomeli View Post
    I had to quit pickin' my nose to type how funny I thought this was
    Yea, boogers are a pain to get off a keyboard once they have dried!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links