Buzz and question regarding 1911's

This is a discussion on Buzz and question regarding 1911's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, as I've been looking around here after joining, I've noticed a lot of talk around the different 1911 handguns. 1st question...How many different makers ...

Thread: Buzz and question regarding 1911's

Buzz and question regarding 1911's

Ok, as I've been looking around here after joining, I've noticed a lot of talk around the different 1911 handguns.

1st question...How many different makers make the 1911? Is there one better than the other and is there one to stay away from?

2nd question...If I was looking for a sub-compact 9mm, can this be found with a 1911?

Are 1911's that good?

2. Remove Ads

the search feature will give lots of reading on members opinions. I am partial to Springfield Armory and they're EMP 9mm would fit your request for a 9mm in 1911

I regularly carry a Kimber Ultra CDP II 1911 pistol - this is the 3" barrel 1911 model from Kimber. It's one of my favorite overall pistols -- I've found it highly accurate and reliable - once you complete the 500 round or so breakin period that Kimber recommends.

b
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlomeli View Post
    Ok, as I've been looking around here after joining, I've noticed a lot of talk around the different 1911 handguns.

1st question...How many different makers make the 1911? Is there one better than the other and is there one to stay away from?
    1911 designates a specific design of a pistol, namely, anything made on the original "blueprint" style of Colt's original 1911 by John M. Browning. The caliber can be one of several.

To name just a few makers of such gun:
    - Colt
    - Springfield
    - Smith & Wesson
    - Kimber
    - Para Ordinance
    - Wilson Combat
    - Rock Island Arms
    - Browning
    - Taurus
    - Sig Sauer
    - Dan Wesson/CZ
    - Norinco
    - Charles Daily

2nd question...If I was looking for a sub-compact 9mm, can this be found with a 1911?
    Probably not, but it is possible. A sub compact might be considered to be a .380acp, which can be found. Colt has a .380acp Government model, but I am not sure its a sub compact. 9mm will come in as a compact mostly I believe. Sig Sauer now makes a Sig P238 .380acp pocket pistol that is the 1911 style.

Are 1911's that good?
    Depends on which 1911 you look at, but generally, yes!
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Tally has given you a pretty good list, There are a few high end one's missing but don't worry about them. Most of the units avaiable new are pretty good. Some like Taurus work fine but you may run into issue with customer service if you need it. I would advise to avoid Auto Ordnance that are made in West Hurley NY. The Quality control of those is poor to say the least. The newer one made in Mass. are made by Klahr and are pretty good. I would highly reccommend you follow the advise above, and goto the m1911 forum. They have sections for almost every maker and people will tell you what they think.

As for your other question finding 1911's in 9mm are hard to come by in the used market and there are only a few manufactures making them in any size. Springfield will be your best bet in a starter 1911 price range.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

Links