question about Sig P220

question about Sig P220

This is a discussion on question about Sig P220 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; does anybody know if the Sig P220 has changeable grips, im asking cause i went to one store and held one and the grip felt ...

question about Sig P220

does anybody know if the Sig P220 has changeable grips, im asking cause i went to one store and held one and the grip felt to bulky and uncomfortable, but i went to another store the other day and held one and it felt perfect.
    "When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk."

Several aftermarket grips for the P220. I'm in a pickle with my P220 SAO, but I found a slip on grip for it.

It may sound like a stupid question, but are you sure you didn't grab a double stack gun (P226) instead of P220? I shoot both guns. The single stack P220 is a lot thinner than it's double stack cousin.

There are "thin grip" stocks available for the Sigs. I haven't had the chance to feel the difference between them and the regularly supplied stocks.

PC

There are several grip options for the P220 and they all affect the way the gun feels in your hand, to one degree or another. The factory makes two different stippled polymer grips - the standard set and a slim set. Also from the factory you can get wood grips (probably the "fattest" option) or aluminum grips, which probably fall between the two polymers - I say probably because grip "feel" is subjective. Even though you can quantify measurements, it is often where the bulges in the grip fall in relationship to the shape of your hand. Aftermarket there are all kinds of grips available. From Hogue alone you have rubber, wood, aluminum (different than the factory aluminum) and G-10. Get the grip that feels best to you. HTH.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Quote Originally Posted by PeterCartwright View Post
    It may sound like a stupid question, but are you sure you didn't grab a double stack gun (P226) instead of P220? I shoot both guns. The single stack P220 is a lot thinner than it's double stack cousin.

There are "thin grip" stocks available for the Sigs. I haven't had the chance to feel the difference between them and the regularly supplied stocks.

PC
    I asked for the P220 at the gun shop, he have grabbed the wrong one to let me hold, i mean he really wasnt paying much attention, everybody that worked there was talking and cutting up, im gonna go back down there and hold it again to see. would the Sig P220 DAO have a thicker grip?

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    There are several grip options for the P220 and they all affect the way the gun feels in your hand, to one degree or another. The factory makes two different stippled polymer grips - the standard set and a slim set. Also from the factory you can get wood grips (probably the "fattest" option) or aluminum grips, which probably fall between the two polymers - I say probably because grip "feel" is subjective. Even though you can quantify measurements, it is often where the bulges in the grip fall in relationship to the shape of your hand. Aftermarket there are all kinds of grips available. From Hogue alone you have rubber, wood, aluminum (different than the factory aluminum) and G-10. Get the grip that feels best to you. HTH.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Do the grips come with the gun when you buy it?

Only one set will come on the gun.

You will LOVE the 220!!!
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

I have the P220 with beaver tail and SRT. It came with the thin grips, it fits my hand real well, I just purchased the P220 Carry Elite, that has the wood grips. They are much thicker but still fit good. I bought a set of Hogue wrap arounds that fall between the thin and the wood grips.

All three sets of grips have been on both guns, so they are interchangeable. As the above posts stated you can get a set of Alumminum grips from sig. that I am "told' are even thiner than the the factory thin grips.

The only issue that I have had, is with the thin grips, more of the slide catch lever is exposed. if I am not carryfull of my grip , my thumb will get under it and latch the slide back, not a good thing. But that is just my grip and am working on correcting that ...
    CCRIDER
    Kimber Compact CDP II, Sig 220 Carry Elite, Colt New Agent,

Sig Customer Service, Stinks!

"The more I know about people the more I like my dog."

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    SIG has more than one plastic grip thickness option for the P220, and there are the thicker wood grip panels, and I believe there have been variations of those, laminated and not. Then, there are aluminum grip panels which are REALLY thin, which were stock on the Platinum Elite. This is just what SIG has offered themselves, not counting aftermarket.

Moreover, the older "European-style" P220s, with the heel-clip magazine release system, have grips totally different from the one with the "American-style" push-button magazine release system. It is the older P220 "E" that fits my hands, so I have bought no "American" P220s. The newer ones point a bit low for me. I use P229s these days, which point for me, like the older P220 "E". Fit and pointability trump 0.052" bore diameter, and besides, my chief mandates .40 duty pistols now, anyway.

Links