Gators and hogs

This is a discussion on Gators and hogs within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No, it's not college football. A co-worker of mine recently bought a nice plot out in the middle of nowhere. He's got 5 acres with ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gators and hogs

Gators and hogs

No, it's not college football. A co-worker of mine recently bought a nice plot out in the middle of nowhere. He's got 5 acres with a nice sized pond. He's concerned about wild hogs and an 8ft gator that share his property. I'm trying to help him pick out a yard gun just in case some of his neighbors get frisky. We talked about shotguns, but it would be a little difficult to fish or mow with a shotty over your shoulder the whole time. I keep my 1911 on my hip when I'm fishing out there. I was thinking a .357 or .44 mag 6 shot revolver, 4 or 6 inch barrel. He's not a big shooter, so an autoloader might not be such a good idea, especially when being chased by a wild animal! I would think either of those calibers would be sufficient, but I've also seen a 30-06 only penetrate 2 inches into a wild boar, luckily for my dad it was the two inches over the spinal cord. Am I way off, or would this be a solid recommendation?

2. Remove Ads

Just want to clarify, this guy is not looking to kill any animals around the house (except the rattlesnakes). He just wants to make sure he has enough gun if the time ever comes that he needs it.

Why would he want to keep an 8 ft alligator in his pond? They'll attack anything smaller than them and their pea size brain doesn't allow them to learn tricks or make friends.

I believe the gator would suddenly disappear...
    Have you ever had properly prepared gator tail?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

For gators and hogs a shotgun would probably be best. Pistols aren't a good choice for either animal. A 12 ga. shotgun gives you options #4, 00, and 1oz. slug.

VIP Member
    For both hogs and gators I would recommend either a 44 or 357 mag preferably the 44 loaded with JSP bullets instead of JHP since you want penetration before the bullet starts to open up. Both hogs and gators are like politicians VERY hard headed and any headshot must be almost square to the head to penetrate, on hogs it would be preferable to make a heart/lung shot to put them down, a gator on the other hand is best stopped with a head shot. A 4 or 6 inch barrel would be fine with my preference being the 6 inch in order to get the most velocity from the round.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    I've shot a few hogs with a 44mag, but never a gator. 240gr. JSP's worked well in a 6" barrel.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Uh... Kill the hogs, Call us over and We will have some Fine fine Pork!
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

I'd say a S&W 629 Classic should join the fam...
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

kill all feral hogs, they are beyond nuisance status. they will destroy the land they roam, driving out all other wildlife.

the gator would be my major worry...a buddy of mine lost a hog dog and a very expensive tracking collar to a gator one night..bayed it on the bank of a slough and when wading over to get their dogs..the gator swam between him and his buddy with the dog in his mouth.... the hogs will go nocturnal once he starts making his presence known...

.357 or 41/44 mag. does the trick for me
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    I'd call the Fish and Game Department and have the catch and move the gator. I know they are still protected in some states, not sure about GA. The hogs would be hunted, they are destructive and can be very dangerous, especially if injured. While I would consider a handgun as a backup for them, I'd prefer a 30-30 to get rid of them.

[QUOTE=j21blackjack; I've also seen a 30-06 only penetrate 2 inches into a wild boar, luckily for my dad it was the two inches over the spinal cord.

I would say that the bullet was a squib I've shot a 250LB bore with 150gn JSP 30-06 Went through both sheilds ran a little & dropped ,Nothing wrong whith a 30-06 Or a .44 Mag on his hip
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

My buddy and I killed 3 hogs about 4 weeks ago with .357mag and .44mag pistols. Most hogs will flee from you unless they feel cornered. As for the gator get rid of him. They can be nuisance animals too and very aggressive during breeding/birthing seasons.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links