Commander size 1911's

Commander size 1911's

This is a discussion on Commander size 1911's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Are the Commander size of the Springfield, RIA,and Para more problematic with feeding and take down than the full size??...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Commander size 1911's

Are the Commander size of the Springfield, RIA,and Para more problematic with feeding and take down than the full size??

I have acompact RIA It eats everything I feed it and the takedown is similar to full size pistols except the recoild spring guide rod has a hole in it that with the slide locked open you insert a bent paper clip in the hole as you let the slide close against it so you can remove the guide rod,spring, and the barrel
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

From reading LOTS about 1911s on the boards for years, I've never heard anyone say the Commander length guns are more problematic, but I have read a lot about the shorter than Commander guns in general may be more prone to problems. My direct experience was with a Springfield Champ (there I went, shorter than 4) that I fought with for a couple of years to make run...and I'm pretty sure the short stroke and bull barrel played a part in the overall problems...but that is just ONE gun. I have a 4 inch Kimber that runs fine, but it was tuned by a pro before I ever got it and I got to shoot before I bought.
    FWIW, I don't recall a bunch of griping about the RIA compacts, they may have it figured out.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    No, Commander size 1911s basically just have a shorter barrel/slide, these are not downsided 1911's with different internals like some of the micro pistols baesed off the 1911 design. I have a lot of 1911's to play with from many different makers, and I recommend you look at the Dan Wesson CBOB pistols they are outstanding guns.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I have acompact RIA It eats everything I feed it and the takedown is similar to full size pistols except the recoild spring guide rod has a hole in it that with the slide locked open you insert a bent paper clip in the hole as you let the slide close against it so you can remove the guide rod,spring, and the barrel
    The RIA Compact and the Mid size (commander) break down differently. The mid size is exactly like a fullsize 1911, the compact uses the paperclip.

As for relaibility, the RIA has no more problems than any other 1911, May have some break in pain's but normally they operate flawlessly.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

Ive heard some isolated problems with the Springfield Champion but other than that nada. I have only ever owned Commander lengths of 1911s and have never had problems.

Never had a problem with my 4" Wilson CQB Compact or my 3" Kimber Ultra CDP II.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Most 1911 style pistols with <4" barrel & slide length feature a "dual-captured" recoil spring system. Developed by Larry Seecamp in the late 70's that recoil system is what has allowed the shorter 1911 designs to work (most of the time). As long as you stay with Commander length (we'll call it ~4") or longer you don't require the Seecamp. As for Commander vs. full-size reliability? I've never heard of it being an issue.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Administrator
    If John Moses Browning had a chance to do it all over again "way back when" the original 1911 Government Model would probably be Commander length today.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

By no means am I demeaning the Kimber Ultra CDP II --- I love mine but when I qualified for my CC permit I used the pistol and after about 100 rounds, the guide rod broke during a rapid fire drill. (The pistol now has several thousand rounds through it with no further hiccups).
    Thankfully, I brought along my Colt, Lightweight Commander and finished the qualification with not another problem!!! I carry either pistol with equal confidence!
    "Courage is being scared to death ...... but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    I can only tell you my horror story. HAD a SA Champion that woulf FTF/FTE. When it did eject it smacked me straight in the forehead. I had a local gunsmith work it over, changed mag springs and mags and still had occasional problems with it FTF and sometimes FTE. After 5 trips back and forth to SA for repair, yep they added the stupid GR to it, it ran with ball but still occasionally would not feed HP's I had lost all confidence in it's reliability. Sold it for a loss not counting the 1000+k rds. of ammo I wasted breaking it in.

I personally would not own one again. I spoke with Mr. Wolff from Wolff springs and he stated the chopped .45's were prone to problems due to the increased slide velocity and EVERYTHING being in time. My 19 year old SA Standard feeds everything and has never been a problem except when shooting over a hundred LSWC's and the bullets hanging up on the feed ramp from the lead build up.

I know there are great ones out there but the extra inch does not make enough of a difference for carry, concealment or firing for me to ever buy another chopped 1911 from any maker.

It (the 5") was my carry gun for 19 years and I got a great deal on an H&K P7 PSP that is the most accurate, fastest firing pistol I've ever had the pleasure of carrying. Ammo costs were also drove part of my decision to swap out platforms. The old 5" 1911 is now my bedside weapon, which I have total faith in.

JMHO
    Last edited by Sportsterguy; August 21st, 2009 at 05:19 AM. Reason: addition
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

VIP Member
    All of my 1911's are Commander size and I wouldn't have anything else!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
    By no means am I demeaning the Kimber Ultra CDP II --- I love mine but when I qualified for my CC permit I used the pistol and after about 100 rounds, the guide rod broke during a rapid fire drill. (The pistol now has several thousand rounds through it with no further hiccups).
    Thankfully, I brought along my Colt, Lightweight Commander and finished the qualification with not another problem!!! I carry either pistol with equal confidence!
    I allready had a Commander,7 round in mag,tonight I was at gun store,looking at 2 combat commanders,both used,bot lookeds just alike,but 1 was a lightweight commander,I had both guns holding them comparing them,when a guy walked up looking also.The lighjt weight model,you could really feel the difference in the weight, he wanted to buy it if I wasent going to,I gave it to him..he bought it,I prefered the heavier standard model,and I bought it, both guns looked just alike,same price,just weight difference...The p[oint is I didnt know they made a lightweight model?/dont know what the thing was made of to make it so light??oh yeah,the light weight one held 7 in mag, mine holds 8, but my regular Commander holds only 7,but my gold cup trophy Colt holds 8 in mag also.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Tn Mitch View Post
    The p[oint is I didnt know they made a lightweight model?/dont know what the thing was made of to make it so light??oh yeah,the light weight one held 7 in mag, mine holds 8, but my regular Commander holds only 7,but my gold cup trophy Colt holds 8 in mag also.
    Actually, the Lightweight is the standard model, it was introduced in 1949 as the "Commander Model" the all steel "Combat Commander" was introduced in 1970. The alloy framed pistol wasn't ever called the "Lightweight Commander" until a number of years after the Combat Commander had been released. The magazine capacity is strictly a magazine issue, and not a pistol issue. All Governments and Commanders took seven round magazines for years and years, then a guy by the name of Charles Kelsey (Devel magazines) came along and designed a magazine that accepted 8, and people have been messing with the mags ever since.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

officer's size

I also have a RIA compact (officer's size) as well as a full sized RIA and have not had any problems with either. I have never had the need to use the paperclip trick with my compact, I simply hold the slide back and push the slide stop out from the back. Pops right out and I can finish the slide removal with no problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links