H&K USPc .45 for EDC?

H&K USPc .45 for EDC?

This is a discussion on H&K USPc .45 for EDC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone here EDC a H&K USPc in .45? If so, can you give me your thoughts. Let me say that I have not shot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&K USPc .45 for EDC?

H&K USPc .45 for EDC?

Has anyone here EDC a H&K USPc in .45? If so, can you give me your thoughts.

Let me say that I have not shot one yet (will try to take care of that this weekend). I have held one and liked the feel. I also like the fact that it has an external safety and can be shot DA/SA. The size is not much more than some of the others that I looked at.

My only hesitation is a co-worker of mind who carries a full size Sig said that he did not like all of the buttons. He said that it was too complicated to operate and hard to break down. Obviously this is one persons opinion so I am trying to get some additional thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

I carried one as my primary piece for nearly the entire last year. Since getting a Springfield EMP (9mm), however, I have carried it less and less. I used both an MTAC IWB as well as a Kramer #3 IWB . . . and, probably liked the Kramer a bit better.

It concealed well and I like the option of carrying it in Condition 1.

Unless you absolutely want the .45, consider the P2000sk in .40. I've carried one for the last couple of years with no problems. It will take the magazines from the fullsize P2000 or USPc of the same caliber so you get decent capacity, or go with the reduced capacity but better concealment. Very accurate, super reliability. I went with the light LEM trigger to get rid of the external safety while still safely keeping one in the chamber. The P2000 series is a more recent evolution of the USP design, just not available in .45. The newest P30 is not yet available in a sub-compact size.

I have carried one for a years now in a Bladetech NANO holster. I also added the rubber decal grips to it. Like the gun a lot. I change from cocked and locked to standard carry back and forth. But its nice that ya have the choice with the gun.

In the Texas heat, its nice to carry a gun IWB and not really worry about rust in the summer heat.

USP 40c

I don't have this gun in .45, but own the very similar .40 caliber version, and have often carried it. It is an excellent carry gun and I like it because:

1. It has been absolutely reliable and quite accurate.
    2. It fits my hand well and I like the trigger feel.
    3. It is compact and lightweight for easy concealment - almost identical in dimensions and weight to the Glock 23 which I own.
    4. It has good capacity (12+1) in a potent caliber.

I use a Kramer horsehide belt scabbard holster.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I carry the .40c in a VMII and would'nt trade it for anything.
    I have 2 USP's and love the platform.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I carry USPc .45 as EDC for work 12 hour days IWB
    Find a holster that works for you, and you are good to go.

Far as "too complicated to operate and hard to break down"
    Nope breaks down alot like a Glock and controls are alot like a 1911 if you choose variant 1.
    You can get all kinds of usp variants including no controls or levers at all (Variants 7 and 8 (double action only, no control lever) and of course LEM.

Here are the list of USP variants:

Variants 1 and 2 (double action/single action, decocking and safety lever)
    Variants 1 (lever on left) and 2 (lever on right) allow the user to carry the pistol in a single-action mode (cocked and locked) with the manual safety engaged. This same pistol, without modification, can be carried in double-action mode, with or without the manual safety engaged, and with the benefit of a decocking lever.
    Variants 3 and 4 (double action/single action, decocking lever, but no safety)
    Variants 3 (lever on left) and 4 (lever on right) provide the user with a frame-mounted decocking lever that does not have the "safe" position. This combination only allows the hammer to be lowered from SA position to DA position. It does not provide the "safe" position to prevent the pistol from firing when the trigger is pulled.
    Variants 5 and 6 (double action only, with safety lever)
    For the double action only user, variants 5 (lever on left), 6 (lever on right), and of the USP operate as double action only pistols with a bobbed hammer always returning to the DA position (forward) after each shot is fired. To fire each shot, the trigger must be pulled through the smooth DA trigger pull. Variants 5 and 6 have a manual safety lever.
    Variants 7 and 8 (double action only, no control lever)
    No control lever is provided on variant 7. Variant 8 is similar to variant 7.
    Variants 9 and 10 (double action/single action, safety lever, but no decocking)
    Variants 9 (lever on left) and 10 (lever on right) allow the shooter to carry the pistol in a single-action mode (cocked and locked) with the manual safety engaged. This same pistol, without modification, can be carried in double-action mode (hammer down), with or without the manual safety engaged. The double action mode offers a second strike/double action capability in case of a misfire. The control lever has no decocking function on variants 9 and 10 so one would have to carefully lower the hammer manually.
    LEM (Law Enforcement Modification) Trigger
    Developed especially for the U.S. government, the Law Enforcement Modification (or LEM for short), is a USP DAO (Double-Action Only) model with a unique trigger mechanism. This mechanism improves the double action trigger performance and reduces the weight of the DAO trigger pull to 7.5-8.5 pounds, utilizes a stronger hammer spring, and shortens the trigger reset. Aside from the LEM mechanism, it is identical to the USP Variant 7 (DAO) model.

Take awalk over to HKPro forum you will find alot of info.
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

Thanks for the comments. I have been studying the HKPro Forum.

For those who carry IWB, do you carry tucked? I will have to and am concerned about the size. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by knoxlaw View Post
    Thanks for the comments. I have been studying the HKPro Forum.

For those who carry IWB, do you carry tucked? I will have to and am concerned about the size. Any thoughts?
    When I need to be tucked in I also wear a sports jacket or business suit vest.
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

Depends on what and where I am heading. Carrying the USP 45c at a 4:30 position with a tuckable MTAC has never (I don't think) raised the attention of anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by MgoBlue View Post
    Depends on what and where I am heading. Carrying the USP 45c at a 4:30 position with a tuckable MTAC has never (I don't think) raised the attention of anyone.
    What was your dress? I will be in shirt and tie.

VIP Member
    Good gun, good caliber, tuckable IWB and you're good to go. Some of my favorites are CTAC, MTAC, Crossbreed.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by knoxlaw View Post
    What was your dress? I will be in shirt and tie.
    Unless I'm going where I normally go with a blazer or suit, I'll be in either a cotton shirt or polo shirt. Tucked in . . . probably wearing slacks.

I have had a .45c for years.
    NEVER had a FTF/FTE.
    At 1,500 rounds it did throw off the recoil retainer clip which HK states is a "consumable" service item but its fine to operate the pistol without it, only serves to keep the spring on the guide during take down.
    Shoots POA on the B-27 from 3-15 yards.
    Eats everything but thrives on Fed. 230 Hydra Shoks.
    Very accurate for a service pistol and very light for a .45.
    They are not flashy but flat out dependable.
    The pic is mine in an H.B.E. IWB.
    Attached Images

I carried one for quite some time. Sweet gun. Try the HK45C - it is way better than the USPC45, just change the OEM glow paint sight for some Tritium Mepros and you are set.
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links