The Glock 17 RTF2 - I like it so far...

This is a discussion on The Glock 17 RTF2 - I like it so far... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There is a remarkable difference between the grip of a Gen 3 and RTF2. Glocks have always had a bit of a slick feel to ...

Thread: The Glock 17 RTF2 - I like it so far...

Senior Moderator

The Glock 17 RTF2 - I like it so far...

There is a remarkable difference between the grip of a Gen 3 and RTF2. Glocks have always had a bit of a slick feel to me, but the RTF2 sticks. Once you grip it, you own it - it's a very positive grip, probably on par with or exceeds the 'sandpaper' panels a lot of people use.

I've read a lot of comments complaining about the curved cocking serations versus the gen 3 style straight cocking serations. I like 'em - I like 'em better. I like the way the look and grip. Anyway...

I love the grippiness of the gun; I haven't shot it yet, but maybe by tomorrow and I'll see what the grip feels like in recoil.

I can say right now, I fully expect that if one were to take an RTF2 to a 5 day shooting school, you should expects some raw places. One place, and this could be easily fixed is the raised portion of the thumb rest on the right side. Because it's raised the pyramids become abrasive to the base of the thumb. Wouldn't be a problem at all in a defensive situation, but if you did a lot of draw and fires, and I do, it won't take long to make a tender spot. Can't wait to shoot it.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

I personally love the looks of the new cocking serrations......just different and way cool looking. I am seriously considering a 40 cal G23.....and would love that frame.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Can you post a Pic??
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

an RTF is the next gun im going to buy, will make a fine carry weapon, They look slick, i hated the 3rd gen grips, this is a VERY practical gun.
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by aimhigh View Post
    Can you post a Pic??
    I don't have any pics; I'll try to make one or two tonight and post them.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 45XDCCW View Post
    an RTF is the next gun im going to buy, will make a fine carry weapon, They look slick, i hated the 3rd gen grips, this is a VERY practical gun.
    Actually, they don't look 'slick' - just kiddin', I know what you mean.

I think it will prove to be a super carry/defense gun. I've always thought Glocks were a bit too slick. Apparently others feel the same as so many, esp. in competition, apply sandpaper to improve the grip. The RTF2 takes care of that.

My concern has been if the pre-RTF2 grips got wet (bloody or whatever), they could get squirmy. The RTF2 feels like it's glued to your hand.

I notice it also seems to hold 'downward' in your hand better. I try to get a very high grip and one of the first things I noticed is that it seems that I can grip the RTF2 higher. I think what is actually happening is that the RFT2 holds the grip where you get it and pre-RTF2s allows the gun to slip upward a bit. I can readily feel a difference.

Nice review. If it's more practical in any way, then that's good. I have yet to see and hold one of the RTF2's but I've seen them in the magazines and must say they do look pretty. Maybe there are good reasons to be more stylish? I think I'll be sticking with all of my 3rd generation Glocks in my chosen calibers for now and a baby on the way for the wife (G26). If I ever get the urge to change dramatically, I might take a liking to one, but then I'd probably be making a total change and going with something like the .357sig as well. Let me just say that I don't think the new RTF2 style/frame/gen (or whatever you want to call it) is going to boost Glock sales tremendously nor convert anyone who dislikes the Glock line. After all, a Glock is a Glock, and you either have one or you don't. I've never considered myself the most up-to-date guy anyway. Things must be moving along rather rapidly from what I've heard to have the G17RTF2 out already. I do look forward to hearing more reviews on the RTF2 nonetheless.

this is my next gun as well. now if I can just sell my HK

Just picked one up last week. The major benefit for me is the grip surface. I am starting to get some grip / strength issues and the new surface allows me a better grip without holding harder. Otherwise, it is about the same as my other G17 - just that the barrel is a dark gray - not black like my other Glocks.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

a guy in my academy class had the glock 22 RTF. By the end of the month long shooting portion, his hands were pretty raw. We had to tape them the last two days of shooting. That being said when his hands were wet the gun didn't go anywhere, unlike a few people in our class shooting the regular glocks.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

I had a chance to handle the 22. I thought that it felt pretty good in my hand. Although, I have no problems with my 2nd or 3rd generation Glocks. What seemed odd to me was the direction of the serrations in the slide. I would think that they should be going the opposite way. This way there is more to "purchase" when gripping for those that use the sling shot method. I personally go hand over the top so it wouldn't make a difference to me.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    ...What seemed odd to me was the direction of the serrations in the slide. I would think that they should be going the opposite way. This way there is more to "purchase" when gripping for those that use the sling shot method....
    You know, I had the same thought. Maybe they tried it and it didn't look right or something.

BTW, I have shot it since I started this thread; it shoots like a Glock, but I have really learned to appreciate that RTF2. And even though they appear to be backwards, I like the curved cocking serations. I think they add a touch of class and it seems to me like they give more purchase than the straight cuts.

My primary carry is the Glock 22 RTF. I wasn't sure when I first got it but I love the feel of it! And as said it dosen't go anywhere in your hand. Glocks..you either love them or hate them......I love them! Oo-rah
    Most people go through life wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem! Ronald Reagan

Links