Recommendations for handgun

This is a discussion on Recommendations for handgun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am presently reviewing options for a handgun. My criteria are as follows: 1. Conceal carry possible, holstered and believe 3.5 to 4.5 in barrel ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for handgun

I am presently reviewing options for a handgun. My criteria are as follows:

1. Conceal carry possible, holstered and believe 3.5 to 4.5 in barrel the max.
    2. usable by wife and self. Fairly small hands. That said I don't like the shorter grip type.
    3.Two safeties since young children in the house though it will be secured in a safe.
    4.Believe 9mm best overall for recoil etc.
    5. Ambidextrous
    6. reasonable quality and accuracy and below $600.00 to 650.00

So far I have looked at Springfield XD, Ruger, Walter, Glock and Sig which is somewhat out of that price limit. Liked the safeties and feel of the Springfield, and overall the Walter and Ruger. Kind of like buying a car. Too many choices and variants so hope I can narrow the field using the experience of those who have gone through this process.

Thanks to all.

My SA XD9 Service meets those requirements,though I have not carried it yet(still waiting for permit),so I can't personally comment on how it carries.The XD9SC would be worth a look.I'm also considering the Walther PPS 9mm for carry.
    Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    I'd take a look at the SW M&P9 also. It behaves similar to a glock.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

M&Pc. Can get it with a thumb safety, mag safety, and internal lock if that's what you want.

VIP Member
    It looks like you're focusing on semi-autos. For small hands, the single stacks work, Kahr makes some of the best (CW9) but capacity is more limited. I use the Kahr PM40 for back up, but it has more recoil than a 9. I like XD's a lot. The Glock 26 can make a good back up, for later, too. Generally, the hand will accomodate any type grip if held and used often enough and long enough. The really tiny guns are a bit more difficult to shoot, but they're sure easier to carry (Kel-Tec PF9, P11, Rohrbach, Kahr PM9.) It's almost a neverending search to find the perfect carry gun, house gun, range gun, target gun, hunting gun.....my one gun for everything right now might be the Kimber Ultra CDP with the 22 conversion kit, but tomorrow ask me again.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Sounds like you want the XDm

VIP Member
    First of all, Welcome to the forum. I would seriously look at the G19, XDm and the M&P. My wife has extremely small hands and she can handle the G19, just fine.

I don't really understand #3 on your list. If the gun is either going to be on your person, or in a safe, the need for redundant safeties is unnecessary... If you are uncomfortable with the gun because of your experience, then I suggest you and the Mrs. look into some SD training classes. They will make both of you more confident and they are a lot of fun...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Glock 19 or 26.,,,

Smile

I would look at the XD platform in 9 mm.

Armydad

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Not quite sure what you mean by this.

"Two safeties since young children in the house though it will be secured in a safe."

Most handguns only have ONE manual safety , many have NONE,
    but DO have mechanisms to prevent unintentional firing.

Example - Colt 1911 - one MANUAL Safety
    Glock NO Manual safeties.

I suggest you shoot some handguns at a range with an instructor present before buying any gun.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

VIP Member
    Don't leave the CZ 85 off your list. Basically an ambidextrous version of the CZ 75.

cmb
    You can have a "manual safety" installed on the glock, it becomes an on/off switch. XD have grip safety and they both have the trigger thing. Taurus has the safeties also... The guns you listed were all double action so they have longer trigger pulls and you can get a glock with a new york trigger which takes it to around 7.5-8 lbs I think they come 5.5-6 (check me on that I am not a glock aficianado and I cant spell aficianado). I have small hands and the glocks are ok for me, I have trouble carrying a double stack backup mag more than concealing the pistol. If she may carry it take her concealment methods into consideration. I have the KT PF9 and you could get 2 for the 600 bucks or pretty close and each have one and have the same ammo and mags!

I have a G19 and a G26....but I understand the desire for a safety so I would go with a SA XD9 as I like the grip safety better than a thumb safety.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Take a look at the Springfield XD Subcompact in 9mm.

Better for small hands than a full-sized XD.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

Quote Originally Posted by canguy View Post
    I am presently reviewing options for a handgun. My criteria are as follows:

3.Two safeties since young children in the house though it will be secured in a safe.

Thanks to all.
    First of all, if I didn't think I could secure a gun away from small children, I would not keep them in the house at all (or guns either).

The only pistol with two safeties that I can think of is a 1911, but I don't think the grip safety would do anything to stop a child from discharging it. The most difficult to activate safety (that I know of) would be a Baby Desert Eagle from Magnum Research (tight safety with a very small lever).

Otherwise, a K9, M&Pc or an HK P2000 would be nice. The HK would be a little out of your price range. You can get the M&P with a thumb safety. All three are ambidextrous and good for small hands. I had an XD subcompact and it is harder to conceal than the others, it is very wide and blocky.

I wholeheartedly agree with TX-JB about the SD training. I understand your priorities, but I don't believe there are enough manual safeties on any gun to childproof it. The gun needs to go from the safe, to the holster, to back in the safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links