Quality Control with Springfield EMP

This is a discussion on Quality Control with Springfield EMP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm LH and have added an ambi-mag release to my EMP9. I've had it about 2 yrs. Shot IDPA with it last year. I've had ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quality Control with Springfield EMP

I'm LH and have added an ambi-mag release to my EMP9. I've had it about 2 yrs. Shot IDPA with it last year. I've had only a couple of problems with my reloads but have that fixed. My gun is flawless. I carry it quite often. I think it is an excellent carry gun. Very accurate. Just check ammo with barrel for fix because chamber is Match (tight).

MN Lefty

2. Remove Ads

cmb
    From most experienced people and other articles (I know one in Gun tests) rate it very high. I carry a 1911 some and mine is only left side safety and I don't think I would want an ambi... I would probably consider one but the price places them on another level when you can get more rds elsewhere... you are buying the platform and will no doubt get good customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    My XD-45, however, will eat anything: just depends on how dirty I want to get!
    Except SWC
    John

NRA Life Member
    TSRA

Ambi safety on 1911

I have read that 96% of the population are right handed, and 4% left handed. If you are in the 4% I can understand the rationale for an ambi safety on your 1911. But for the 96% it seems like a useless feature that carries the risk of having your thumb safety turned "off" while the gun is holstered. It also makes the gun wider and incrementally more difficult to conceal.

My one 1911 that came stock with an ambi safety is a Kimber Pro CDP. I am in the 96% right handed group, and immediately replaced it with an Ed Brown single side safety.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MN Lefty View Post
    I've had only a couple of problems with my reloads but have that fixed.
    MN Lefty
    MN Lefty, what kind of problems did you have with reloads and how did you resolve them?

I got one when just came out and have no problems to date. It is a sweet shooter.

ambidexterous safety

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I have read that 96% of the population are right handed, and 4% left handed. If you are in the 4% I can understand the rationale for an ambi safety on your 1911. But for the 96% it seems like a useless feature that carries the risk of having your thumb safety turned "off" while the gun is holstered. It also makes the gun wider and incrementally more difficult to conceal.

My one 1911 that came stock with an ambi safety is a Kimber Pro CDP. I am in the 96% right handed group, and immediately replaced it with an Ed Brown single side safety.
    An ambidexterous safety can have a valuable role in a carry gun. For example:

A. What are you going to carry if for some reason your right arm is in a sling after surgery?

B. If the right side of your body is pinned for some reason (such as against the passenger side door of a car), then your only free hand would be your left hand. I've found an ambidexterous safety much easier to thumb off left handed than trying to release a right handed safety with my left hand.

C. Try practicing your left hand range drills with a RH safety and then with an ambidexterous safety.

I haven't had a single problem with my EMP since I got it new. Extremely accurate, good looking and well made.

I am careful when I purchase any gun. I only want highly reliable pieces that go "bang" every time! That said, I've never had a problem with my EMP in 9mm. It's a sweet gun made even sweeter with the walnut grips I got from The Finer Grain!

Nice looking EMP 9
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I'm waiting for prices on one to drop back down to $1000 or less; so I guess I'll always be waiting!

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I'm waiting for prices on one to drop back down to $1000 or less; so I guess I'll always be waiting!
    Yea, I had that habit -- awhile ago. Then I decided that it was worth it to me to get the guns I really wanted . . . and not settle for something less. So, I've rationalized may way to the poor house! lol!

I bought one new a little over a year ago, and found it wouldn't unload a live round. The first round loaded ok from the mag, but if you dropped the slide and tried to eject the round from the chamber, it hung up.

One call to Springfield Armory and the emailed me a Fedex label. A couple of days later, it was delivered to my door. The paperwork was annotated "tuned Ejector", and it's been working fine ever since.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gglockster View Post
    An ambidexterous safety can have a valuable role in a carry gun. For example:

A. What are you going to carry if for some reason your right arm is in a sling after surgery?

B. If the right side of your body is pinned for some reason (such as against the passenger side door of a car), then your only free hand would be your left hand. I've found an ambidexterous safety much easier to thumb off left handed than trying to release a right handed safety with my left hand.

C. Try practicing your left hand range drills with a RH safety and then with an ambidexterous safety.
    I agree with you 100% on your post. I made sure my Ed Browns safety was thoroughly pressed into the leather of my IWB to keep it in place. Even if it comes off your still going to have to depress the grip safety AND squeeze the trigger.

I went with an Ed Brown ambi as it was not as wide as a Wilson. With a good file and patience you can always trim it down. Watched a buddy do it with his Wilson and was a piece of cake, especially with stainless. No refinishing required!

Concerning concealment they are no factor at all IMO.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

EAJ
    Minor issues with mine during break'in. SA resolved quickly and has run well since. Excellent handgun. STI Rogue is also very nice. :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links