Quality Control with Springfield EMP

This is a discussion on Quality Control with Springfield EMP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently have a fullsize 1911 but am thinking about buying something smaller for carry. I was looking at the EMP but the durability of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quality Control with Springfield EMP

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

Quality Control with Springfield EMP

I currently have a fullsize 1911 but am thinking about buying something smaller for carry. I was looking at the EMP but the durability of the alloy frame and the ambisafety getting mistakenly clicked off are two issues of concern.

Furthermore I have noticed a lot of people saying their EMP needed work after they bought it. I am curious to hear from those who have experience with the EMP. Did SA rush it to production?

2. Remove Ads

I hope you get some answers. I was considering their EMP40 but will wait to see what people respond with.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I too would like to have an EMP in 9mm but the price has kept me away. That and the Ambi safety, it's huge! If I ever get one it'll be removed and replaced with a Wilson tactical one side safety. The Ambi makes the gun so wide at the back.

I've heard alot about them having to be tweaked too; the gun cost between $1,300and $1,400 in this area. You'd expect it to be quite refined?

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I'm not computer savvy, but maybe someone could post some magazine reviews.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I took my 9mm EMP to the range today. Had one FTE in 100 rounds of WWB 115 gr at about the 90th round. That's an improvement over the 2 FTE's and 1 FTF I had during my initial two range fires with 100 WWB and 50 Speer Gold Dots. I've read other posts where the initial break-in was about 250 rounds and reliability increased significantly. I'm at that point so I'll be sending it back for some warranty work if reliability doesn't improve significantly during my next range trip.

With the alloy frame, Springfield suggests not firing +P ammo. I haven't and won't during range fires but not sure I see the issue as a self defense round where you won't be firing a hundred rounds in a defense situation.

To me the durability issue with the frame is centered on the training you do. I am learning to reload and expect to shoot my carry gun often; that is my responsibility. I was just curious about how much less durable the EMP alloy frame is than the steel frame of a classic 1911.

200 FTE out of 200 shots, and 2 FTF's ... in the first time out shooting. Talked to Springfield and they wanted it back immediately. They emailed me a Fed-Ex label right then, it was sent to them that day, 1 week to the day later I received it back. It had been reworked and was not the same gun at all. They did a fantastic job on it. It was so much smoother, shot flawlessly and has been a great gun since then.

Springfield supports their product and are great to deal with if you have to. It's a very accurate gun, easy to carry, safety is no issue other than when it sticks in my side... (smaller profile would be better), and I really like the night sights on it. Shoots great and I wouldn't trade it.

I have an STI Rogue in 9mm.

It is less expensive than the EMP and about the same size. I quit counting rounds when I passed 200.

I run JHP through it both as self defense rounds and practice rounds. It just runs.

There are old style and new style mags for the Rogue. I have read the old style mags didn't feed JHP well. I have used proboth style mags without and problems.

I bought mine from Shooters Connection - Home. They are available from most STI dealers.

I have a few 1911 holsters that are really tight. The Rogue fits well in them. It also fits the two Kahr PM9 IWB holsters I have.
    Dave

I have heard that the smaller 1911's are not well-suited to re-loads or less-than-premium ammo. I have shot only premium loads in my Kimber without any issues.

My XD-45, however, will eat anything: just depends on how dirty I want to get!
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

My EMP is very well built. Many people who have issues with them don't know how to run them. I bought mine second hand and the previous owner claimed you couldn't fire two shots in a row without a malfunction. 3K rounds later and I still have not had a malfunction. I did switch to a single sided safety.

I'd like one and wouldn't let a few internet problems steer me away.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    200 FTE out of 200 shots, and 2 FTF's ... in the first time out shooting. Talked to Springfield and they wanted it back immediately. They emailed me a Fed-Ex label right then, it was sent to them that day, 1 week to the day later I received it back. It had been reworked and was not the same gun at all. They did a fantastic job on it. It was so much smoother, shot flawlessly and has been a great gun since then.

Springfield supports their product and are great to deal with if you have to. It's a very accurate gun, easy to carry, safety is no issue other than when it sticks in my side... (smaller profile would be better), and I really like the night sights on it. Shoots great and I wouldn't trade it.
    This is what happened to me as well ,
    and they did fix it but heres my take on it.
    This weapon is too tight when its built, its make for high accuracy
    and not for good CCing,
    It takes a little time to break it in and get it to feed right .
    If you have trouble with it , call them and tell them your CCing it and they will smooth it up for you , FAST , and will do it on their dine.
    Do not shoot it more than 100 rounds between cleanings because
    it is very tight and will not run well dirty.
    This is why Glock and other CCWs are not built to these tolerances.
    If you need a gun to carry and don't have a gun you can carry while
    you get this gun loosened up and running right ,
    THEN DON'T BUY AN EMP
    The street is no place to find out you've got a gun thats not 100%
    ready to go out of the box.
    Don't get me wrong, I like my EMP but I had A Glock G26 to carry
    when it was being sent back to the factory to be worked on.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

How have you maintained yours that it has run so well?

I do a detailed cleaning and lube every thousand rounds.

Mine has worked and shot perfectly since they reworked it, polished the slide, etc. I have no hesitation relying on it for CC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links