Looking for Baby Glock in a 1911

This is a discussion on Looking for Baby Glock in a 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Product: Model SW1911 Compact ES I recently shot a 45 and was very impressed at how minimal the recoil was and how easily I could ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Baby Glock in a 1911

Looking for Baby Glock in a 1911

Product: Model SW1911 Compact ES

I recently shot a 45 and was very impressed at how minimal the recoil was and how easily I could stay on target that I decided to consider a 1911 45acp. I came across the Smith above and it felt very confortable and seems easy to conceal but wanted to see if anyone has some reviews or information about it or any other models I should consider. I really am unfamiliar with 1911s so would appreciate any help you can offer. My main concern is concealability and comfort while carrying. I aslo would like to know what smaller options there are and if the pistol above or any other ones reccomended are reliable enough. I guess I am basically looking for the Baby Glock in a 1911.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Perhaps a Kimber Ultra CDP II?
    It's my EDC...

Kimber - Continuing The Legacy: Ultra CDP II
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I dont want to shell out a lot of money and I have read mixed reviews on Kimbers. I would be afriad to spend Kimber money and then be SOL.

Do you know the specs?

Springfield Micros, Kimber Ultras, And Sig makes one with a Commander length slide and an Ultra length grip.

Good Luck!!!

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Wasn't this pretty much covered here as recently as yesterday??

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...el-1911-a.html
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

RIA 1911 45 acp compacts can be had for around 400.00
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    I think the smallest 1911 your going to find is the Para Warthog. Available in either double stack or single stack models.

Remember though, you reduce the size and your perceived recoil is most likely going to increase. If your going with a 1911 platform I'd stay with at least the 4.25" barrel length.

Small 1911s

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
    Product: Model SW1911 Compact ES....I also would like to know what smaller options there are and if the pistol above or any other ones recommended are reliable enough. I guess I am basically looking for the Baby Glock in a 1911.
    The S&W 1911 you mentioned is the version with a shorter "Officers" length frame. It holds one less round than the standard "Government" length frame, but is easier to conceal because of the shorter grip. Kimber, Sig and others make a version of this, with a 4 or 4.25 inch barrel.

But if you really want to replicate a Baby Glock in a 1911, you'd have to go with one of the 3 inch guns, such as the Kimber Ultra or the Colt Defender. These are very small, like a baby Glock, and very easy to conceal. Some will question their reliability, but most owners are happy with them. I have a Colt Defender that runs just fine.

S&W makes one of these as well, shown on the company website you referenced. Here it is:

And here is my Defender, which is an equivalent aluminum frame, 25 ounce gun holding 7+1 rounds:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Perhaps a Kimber Ultra CDP II?
    It's my EDC...

Kimber - Continuing The Legacy: Ultra CDP II
    +1 on the Kimber. Mine runs just fine and conceals with no printing.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Para Ordnance C6 or C7 are very concealable and reliable. Both of mine run fine
    and they aren't super expensive.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

For the money, you'd really be hard pressed to beat a Glock in .45 ACP. The G30 (11 rds) or G36 (7 rds) compare favorably to the smaller 1911s (in size, weight), and cost much less. Of course, they aren't 1911s...not sure if the OP is looking more for a "baby Glock" or more of a "1911."

There is also the G39 - same exact size as the baby Glock 26/27, but chambered in .45 GAP (7 rds). Ammo selection is more limited, but since several State Police forces are using it, I don't think you run much of a risk of ending up with an orphaned gun caliber.

If you're looking for a baby Glock, maybe just get the real deal?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Colt New Agent.

I added Crimson Trace Laser Grips and an Ed Brown Extended Thumb Safety.

However, as some others have mentioned, why not look into a Glock 30 or the single stack Glock 36, especially if you are not familiar with swiping the thumb safety and practicing enough with it to make it second nature? Another good one to look at is the Smith & Wesson M&P 45c, especially if the Glock grip angle isn't right for you.

cmb
    I carry a full size 1911 with a lightwight frame loaded it goes about 36-38 ozs. Springfield Armory If you want a 1911 I would recommend at least the commander size (4" barrel). If you are looking for a new or another carry piece in 45 you may prefer glock. I am just not a double stack guy so I like the 1911, if you can conceal a ds and carry the ds mag you get more capacity with glock, xd etc... for the same size and may save a little weight.

Once you start reducing barrel length on a 1911 the shooting characteristics really do change.
    Shooting a 3" 1911 is nothing like shooting my full size 1911.

Just my .02
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

[QUOTE=jwalker497;1270614]I dont want to shell out a lot of money and I have read mixed reviews on Kimbers. I would be afraid to spend Kimber money and then be SOL.

But yet you are looking at this S&W
    1911 Model SW1911 Compact ES
    with an estimated MSRP @ $1,264.00

My Kimber is a Gander Mountain and Kimber limited edition, prior to the Crimson Ultra Carry model. OTD was around $1250.00 with the crimson trace grip.

The first 100 rounds I had a some trouble with the slide locking back in the open with rounds still in the mag...that turned out to be operator error; It was my grip technique I was engaging the slide lock.

I have over 500+ and have not had a problem.
    The gun is very accurate and easy to shoot and eats everything I feed it. I use it as my EDC and trust my life on it.

Waiting on a custom IWB leather holster.
    Good Luck!
    Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links