G30SF

This is a discussion on G30SF within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been searching this site an GlockTalk among others. In my seemingly never ending search for a second pistol I ran across the G30SF. ...

Thread: G30SF

Question G30SF

I have been searching this site an GlockTalk among others. In my seemingly never ending search for a second pistol I ran across the G30SF. I was looking at the G23 and read a few articles mentioning that the .45 has more of a push rather than the snap of the small diameter cased rounds. Looking for people's experience with the G30SF and the .45 round in particular. I will most likely be going to the local gun range and firing the .45 caliber sometime in the near future but I will still need input about the G30SF. Thank you.
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

2. Remove Ads

kpw
    It's a very close second to my G19. It's an extremely soft shooting pistol. As far as felt recoil and muzzle flip, I'd give it a tad more than the 19 and a tad less than the 23. It carries about like the 19/23 does.
    Unfortunately, my dad has borrowed my 30 SF a few months ago....he does let me shoot it once in a while.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I absolutely love mine. Carry in a Crossbreeed Supertuck @ 4:30, adjusted to ride deep and have a nice forward cant.

"Soft" is the best word to describe the recoil - you know you are shooting a .45 but there is no snap. Just a push. Extremely accurate and 100% reliable. 10+1 of .45 can't be beat in a CCW.
    Sig Sauer P239 SAS DAK 9mm (EDC)
    MR Micro Desert Eagle .380 acp (BUG)
    Glock G30sf .45 acp (HD)
    Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader 12ga (HD)
    WASR 10/63 AK-47 7.62x39 (SHTF)

Got one on as I type! IWB Bullard. OWB, I use a Kramer. Accurate as I am. I'll keep it until Glock comes out with a 46 acp.
    Ain't no fun when the rabbit has a gun!

I don't have the SF model but a Glock 30 is my EDC and I love it. The 30 is very accurate and I think easy to conceal. The recoil on the .45 is like you say more of a push and not so much muzzle flip, I love the .45 as a SD gun or to just shoot, it is my favorite. I don't think you would go wrong with the G30 SF, or you might look at the G36 still a .45 not quite the mag capacity but a lot thinner. Great feeling gun in hand. IMHO.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I have both a G36 and a G30 (not the SF model). Both have been 100% I have read of problems early on with the FS model on failures to eject. Of the two I have, the G36 gets most of the carry time. It is amazingly light, comfortable and easy to carry. you can see in the photo below the difference in thickness. The SF model is the same thickness as the 30, it's narrower front to back.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Thanks for the input. Hopefully I can get my hands on a range gun and shoot the G23 and the G30SF. I am not sure if the thinner grip of the G36 would be necessary. The one thing I think I do not like about my P-11 is the thin grip. But I do not shoot it a whole lot either, just enough to stay proficient.

The trigger is gonna be night and day between the P-11 and any Glock. I have a 30sf, and a 29 and I can't tell much of a diff., (frame grip wise) but I have pretty big hands. I also have a 23. They (30sf, and 23) are both great guns.
    Last edited by Danimal; August 22nd, 2009 at 11:24 PM.

The 45 Glocks are VERY ACCURATE. That is a very big factor to me.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

My G30SF is very accurate, maybe more so than my other Glocks. Recoil is soft.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

I've owned 2 G30's in my time and loved them both. The very first accessory that I would suggest is the grip enhancer mag floors by Pearce or Scherer. It's just enough to get away from the hanging finger feel. I'd also suggest a steel guide rod and spring assembly on the G30, followed by night sights if it's a carry.

I've not been disappointed with any .45 ACP I've owned. 1911's, Baby Eagle, CZ, Glock, XD. They've all been great. My 25 year old 1911 will hit paper at 25 yards with minimal effort.

Before you consider the G30SF, make sure you check out a normal G30 so you're sure to understand the difference between the two. It's subtle, but it's enough to make a difference in feel.

I was able to put 10,000 rounds through a G30 in just under 6 months and only had some wear on the striker. The rest of the pistol looked like new. Inside 7 yards it will rapid fire in a dollar bill sized group or smaller with practice. I was able to practice enough to get my rapid fire (reactive front-sight shooting) groups down to silver dollar size at 7 yards in a short time.

If you've fingered the SF and like the feel, then go for it. Just remember that .45ACP ammo can be rather pricey from time to time. G30 is a great choice, but be sure it fits your needs...if you're carrying it, be sure it doesn't print for your style of carry.

Massad Ayoob say's that the 30 is his favorite glock to carry. Enough said.

That one in the avitar is mine. 30sf that is. Its amazing how soft the recoil is for a .45.

Quote Originally Posted by diverdown247 View Post
    I've owned 2 G30's in my time and loved them both. The very first accessory that I would suggest is the grip enhancer mag floors by Pearce or Scherer. It's just enough to get away from the hanging finger feel. I'd also suggest a steel guide rod and spring assembly on the G30, followed by night sights if it's a carry.

I've not been disappointed with any .45 ACP I've owned. 1911's, Baby Eagle, CZ, Glock, XD. They've all been great. My 25 year old 1911 will hit paper at 25 yards with minimal effort.

Before you consider the G30SF, make sure you check out a normal G30 so you're sure to understand the difference between the two. It's subtle, but it's enough to make a difference in feel.

I was able to put 10,000 rounds through a G30 in just under 6 months and only had some wear on the striker. The rest of the pistol looked like new. Inside 7 yards it will rapid fire in a dollar bill sized group or smaller with practice. I was able to practice enough to get my rapid fire (reactive front-sight shooting) groups down to silver dollar size at 7 yards in a short time.

If you've fingered the SF and like the feel, then go for it. Just remember that .45ACP ammo can be rather pricey from time to time. G30 is a great choice, but be sure it fits your needs...if you're carrying it, be sure it doesn't print for your style of carry.
    This would be a IWB carry pistol. Thank you for bringing up that point. My mod of carry is tee shirt in summer. One more thing I would have to consider. The G36 looks good too but I would have to feel the thinner grip.

I calculated the numbers for recoil of both models you're looking at. I used the Gold Dot Short Barrel load to compare, 180gr .40 and 230gr .45.

The Glock 23 weighs 1.9lb loaded per Glock, 180gr GDSBHP at 950fps gives:
    6.6 ft/lbs of recoil energy at 15.0 ft/sec and .9 lb/sec

The 30 weighs 2.1lb loaded, 230gr GDSBHP at 820fps gives:
    6.8 ft/lbs of recoil energy at 14.4 ft/sec and .9 lb/sec

So the math does match up with what you are saying. The .45 has slightly more recoil energy, the .40 has slightly faster recoil. The numbers are so close, though, that I imagine it would be barely perceptable. I would think that even the gun getting lighter as you empty the magazine would make up more than that amount.

Links