Confession Time

Confession Time

This is a discussion on Confession Time within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was NOT going to post this but I figure I better come clean. Here goes: My son and I went this afternoon to my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confession Time

Confession Time

I was NOT going to post this but I figure I better come clean.
    Here goes: My son and I went this afternoon to my gun store/range to specifically look at the Ruger LCR.
    I've read a ton on the gun and was HOT to purchase one. I even posted about it a couple times.
    Well, I hate to say this...but I was disappointed .
    The trigger pull was EXCELLENT, BUT the cylinder could "free-spin" clockwise(as all Smiths and Rugers operate counter-clockwise in the firing sequence)quite abit before locking up.
    The gun felt "loose" for lack of another term.
    Spoke to one of the salesman and he said every one that has come in feels the same.
    I do NOT want to knock Ruger (I've owned their revolvers and LOVED them), but I'm no longer keen on the gun.
    I looked at a NO-LOCK Smith 442 and it felt like a Swiss vault in comparison.
    I've owned Smith J-Frames(36,60 and 640),but never an Airweight.
    I think this is the route I'll go..a NO-LOCK 442 or 642. My alternate will be a DAO SP-101 if I reconsider the weight issue. I just felt I had to throw my $.02 in.
    I hope to hear from some LCR owners and their thoughts.:smile
    Last edited by QKShooter; August 23rd, 2009 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Take post off all bold.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Now that you confessed, say three hail Marys and get the gun you truly want.

Not every gun suites every person. I am a die hard Glock addict. But Glocks are not for everyone. I know that.

This has been said several times and will be said again. Guns are like shoes. You got to find one that fits and works for you.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Congrats for coming to your senses.

IMHO The Ruger LCR is for people who want an inexpensive , no
    maintainence "throwaway when it breaks" gun.

I currently have 4 J frames plus several K frames and wouldn't
    take an LCR for FREE

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I have handled them at gun shows, and just do not like them at all. I bought the J frame.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

YOU AGAIN,at this rate your never gonna get into gun heaven,your penance will be recite the 4 basic firearms rules 10 times,fire 100 rounds thru the gun of your choice and now go in peace
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sorry about the bad experience. I have not
    handled a LCR yet but thought about getting
    one. Have a LCP and love it.

I handled one the day I bought my smith model 60, didn't like it one bit, and I unloaded am airlite to get model 60, didn't care for it too much either, nothing to do with quality though.

I've also decided on the model 60 after handling the LCR.

I went for the 642. Just felt better about the few extra bucks.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I would really have to shoot one to be sure but I do not like it either based on only handling it. It does not feel right and acutally seems big compared to a J frame.

I do think though it is lighter than a 642 style but probably not an AirLite. It figures that it feels different though. The thing is half polymer.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I am all for innovation and I respect Ruger for coming out with something different, but the J frames are tried and true and I see no reason what so ever to use any other small CCW revolver. As with all CCW handguns I am looking for 100 percent reliability or as close to it as is humanly possible to obtain.......thats what you get with the J frames. I will let other experiment.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    I am all for innovation and I respect Ruger for coming out with something different, but the J frames are tried and true and I see no reason what so ever to use any other small CCW revolver. As with all CCW handguns I am looking for 100 percent reliability or as close to it as is humanly possible to obtain.......thats what you get with the J frames. I will let other experiment.
    correct me if im wrong, but when Keltec came out, they didnt patten their product and they had alot of other makers copying their product. Looks like ruger didnt come up with something different, just a spin off of a Keltec. Like I said, I may be wrong about this so please correct me if I am..

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    I was NOT going to post this but I figure I better come clean.
    Here goes: My son and I went this afternoon to my gun store/range to specifically look at the Ruger LCR. I've read a ton on the gun and was HOT to purchase one. I even posted about it a couple times. Well, I hate to say this...but I was disappointed . The trigger pull was EXCELLENT, BUT the cylinder could "free-spin" clockwise(as all Smiths and Rugers operate counter-clockwise in the firing sequence)quite abit before locking up. The gun felt "loose" for lack of another term. Spoke to one of the salesman and he said every one that has come in feels the same. I do NOT want to knock Ruger(I've owned thier revolvers and LOVED them), but I'm no longer keen on the gun. I looked at a NO-LOCK Smith 442 and it felt like a Swiss vault in comparison. I've owned Smith J-Frames(36,60 and 640),but never an Airweight. I think this is the route I'll go..a NO-LOCK 442 or 642. My alternate will be a DAO SP-101 if I reconsider the weight issue. I just felt I had to throw my $.02 in. I hope to hear from some LCR owners and their thoughts.
    I cannot duplicate any free spin except when the cylinder is open

This particular LCR(which is a rental gun used by people at the range)would allow me and the saleman to spin the cylinder clockwise almost a complete revolution before locking up. Like I said, I've owned Rugers(a Super Blackhawk and a Security-Six)and loved them..but this gun just "felt" loose. The gun store didn't have it long, so I'm sure it is still a low mileage weapon.
    I don't know what to say other than I went to the store wanting to like the gun and came away with a different impression. I hope you continue to have good luck with yours. I guess there is something to be said for first impressions.
    Still Love Ya Sarah !

I forgot(getting old..I guess!)....the free-spin was with the cylinder CLOSED.
    Still Love Ya Sarah !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links