Defensive Carry banner

Guns That Run Dirty & Eat Reloads with Ease

2K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  kellyII 
#1 ·
I used to have a Springfield XD9SC... it ran like a beast, never a failure. I put anything I wanted to through it. It ate everything.

I currently have a 1911, but have come into a boatload of material for reloading 9mm & .40 cartridges. I am thinking about buying a new carry gun that can handle either a 9mm or .40 cartridge.

I was looking at a few of the prettier guns in this category (Springfield's EMP, H&K's USP Compact, etc.) but am wondering... can those guns eat reloads with ease & run dirty?

Now, before you tell me to clean my guns... I do! I just know myself and there are going to be times that I do not clean them after every firing. I got used to that, frankly, with the XDs.

Should I stick with the XD platform or can I feel confident about feeding reloads to the pretty guns I listed above?

I sure do like the feel of both the EMP & the USP Compact! :wink:

#2 ·
Only your gun knows for sure!

You'll have to try it and see for yourself.

#5 ·
Stick with the XD man, you yourself have great experience. I too wanted a gun that would run dirty, and that I knew would shoot no matter what. That's why I got one.

I plan on carrying it while I bow hunt the National forest around here, it will get dirty, and with all the dope, and meth labs the forest is known to hide, I have come across some personally, luckily no one was home. But one day, someone may be home, and not too happy I came across their site.
Trust my life to this gun.

#19 ·
+1 !!!! Did a 3K rd torture test (no cleaning) on my 228 years ago. Mostly WWB but threw in an occasional Gold Dot to see if it would hiccup. Ate it all!

I honestly believe it could of taken another 3K and am glad I didn't do it as I still have a buttload of 9mm left! :danceban:

#9 ·
All my guns run dirty and eat anything I feed them,I've got several hundred rounds thru most before they see a cleaning rod,except my carry gun it gets cleaned immediately afterward

#10 ·
I can tell you my HK USP .45c eats about anything. I would guess the 9 & 40 do the same.

#11 ·
XD's like Glocks and similar guns have pretty loose tolerances and are more forgiving of excess grime. When you start involving high end weapons that are tight, even after break in, such is not the case.
If you tend to run your guns dirty, I would stay with what works.
Regarding reloads, most guns will handle them, the trick is developing a load that will work well in a particular gun. Just be advised that shooting reloads may void your warranty.

#14 ·
XD's like Glocks and similar guns have pretty loose tolerances and are more forgiving of excess grime. When you start involving high end weapons that are tight, even after break in, such is not the case.
+1 on this. The Glocks, XDs and a couple others are way more forgiving than some. I would carry my G23 over anything while out in the woods or camping. I've seen Glocks run fine with well over 2000 rds of factory ammo. Reloads are in my experience not for some of the tighter designs, but it depends on the quality of the reload IMO.

As Bark'n stated, you just wont really know unless you try it. I would maybe try to find one you can rent at the range and run some of the loads in question, that may give you some indication of the performance with your reloads.

#17 ·
I would say, It could. Due to the fact the reloads are not factory controlled for pressures and case quality.

IMO, That's a question one should be directed to the manufactures customer service dept. I would hate to give, or be given the wrong answer. JMO

#18 ·
Just looked at the XD manual... states that Springfield is not responsible for damage to the shooter or firearm that is the cause of reloaded or handloaded ammo. That sounds fair to me.

I hate the Kimber warranty... if you use handloads, your warranty is automatically voided. That's over the top. Some guys can load ammo that is super high-quality stuff, IMO.

#22 ·
I just read the story....UN(F**KING)AMAZING. That is just a funny, funny read but I also points out the amazing machinery that is a Glock.

I have a 19 and a 26. I have other brands and calibers but the 19 is my wifes and my step sons favorites when it comes to shootability and function......and no crazy levers and buttons to learn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.