Guns That Run Dirty & Eat Reloads with Ease

This is a discussion on Guns That Run Dirty & Eat Reloads with Ease within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I used to have a Springfield XD9SC... it ran like a beast, never a failure. I put anything I wanted to through it. It ate ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

I used to have a Springfield XD9SC... it ran like a beast, never a failure. I put anything I wanted to through it. It ate everything.

I currently have a 1911, but have come into a boatload of material for reloading 9mm & .40 cartridges. I am thinking about buying a new carry gun that can handle either a 9mm or .40 cartridge.

I was looking at a few of the prettier guns in this category (Springfield's EMP, H&K's USP Compact, etc.) but am wondering... can those guns eat reloads with ease & run dirty?

Now, before you tell me to clean my guns... I do! I just know myself and there are going to be times that I do not clean them after every firing. I got used to that, frankly, with the XDs.

Should I stick with the XD platform or can I feel confident about feeding reloads to the pretty guns I listed above?

I sure do like the feel of both the EMP & the USP Compact!

Only your gun knows for sure!

You'll have to try it and see for yourself.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

If you had good luck wirh the XD's you should stick with those.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I guess many guns are unique but I am thinking that some are less forgiving than others.

Stick with the XD man, you yourself have great experience. I too wanted a gun that would run dirty, and that I knew would shoot no matter what. That's why I got one.

I plan on carrying it while I bow hunt the National forest around here, it will get dirty, and with all the dope, and meth labs the forest is known to hide, I have come across some personally, luckily no one was home. But one day, someone may be home, and not too happy I came across their site.
    Trust my life to this gun.
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

That is pretty convincing stuff sir!

SIG baby SIG

Wife and I shoot 226 & 239 in .40 and .357 and these things eat
    crap over and over and still, feed ,shoot and run no problem.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    HK P30 9mm. If you'd like to read a story on dirty guns, then the "50,000 rounds in 6 months" saga is for you. If you scroll to the bottom you can read each weeks adventure in the life of a HK P30. One of the weeks, (maybe 11??) has pics of how dirty it got. They made me cry, it's that bad. So far they are at about 30K.

Enjoy...
    pistol-training.com

All my guns run dirty and eat anything I feed them,I've got several hundred rounds thru most before they see a cleaning rod,except my carry gun it gets cleaned immediately afterward
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    I used to have a Springfield XD9SC... it ran like a beast, never a failure. I put anything I wanted to through it. It ate everything.

I currently have a 1911, but have come into a boatload of material for reloading 9mm & .40 cartridges. I am thinking about buying a new carry gun that can handle either a 9mm or .40 cartridge.

I was looking at a few of the prettier guns in this category (Springfield's EMP, H&K's USP Compact, etc.) but am wondering... can those guns eat reloads with ease & run dirty?

Now, before you tell me to clean my guns... I do! I just know myself and there are going to be times that I do not clean them after every firing. I got used to that, frankly, with the XDs.

Should I stick with the XD platform or can I feel confident about feeding reloads to the pretty guns I listed above?

I sure do like the feel of both the EMP & the USP Compact!
    I can tell you my HK USP .45c eats about anything. I would guess the 9 & 40 do the same.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    XD's like Glocks and similar guns have pretty loose tolerances and are more forgiving of excess grime. When you start involving high end weapons that are tight, even after break in, such is not the case.
    If you tend to run your guns dirty, I would stay with what works.
    Regarding reloads, most guns will handle them, the trick is developing a load that will work well in a particular gun. Just be advised that shooting reloads may void your warranty.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    HK P30 9mm. If you'd like to read a story on dirty guns, then the "50,000 rounds in 6 months" saga is for you.
    Enjoy...
    pistol-training.com
    Good read- thanks! I can't believe how many of these good polymer guns will take a real pounding & just keep going.

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    I can tell you my HK USP .45c eats about anything. I would guess the 9 & 40 do the same.
    Have you shot reloads or Wolf ammo through it?

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    XD's like Glocks and similar guns have pretty loose tolerances and are more forgiving of excess grime. When you start involving high end weapons that are tight, even after break in, such is not the case.
    +1 on this. The Glocks, XDs and a couple others are way more forgiving than some. I would carry my G23 over anything while out in the woods or camping. I've seen Glocks run fine with well over 2000 rds of factory ammo. Reloads are in my experience not for some of the tighter designs, but it depends on the quality of the reload IMO.

As Bark'n stated, you just wont really know unless you try it. I would maybe try to find one you can rent at the range and run some of the loads in question, that may give you some indication of the performance with your reloads.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Do reloads void the Springfield lifetime warranty?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links