Glock 23 or 27 for CC?

This is a discussion on Glock 23 or 27 for CC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just can't make up my mind. I like the FEEL and shootablility of the 23, and the SIZE of the 27. I don't know ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 23 or 27 for CC?

Glock 23 or 27 for CC?

I just can't make up my mind. I like the FEEL and shootablility of the 23, and the SIZE of the 27. I don't know which should be the dealbreaker for my CC weapon?? Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I have both and most often carry the 23. I particularly like the purchase or feel of the longer grip. As for concealability, there is not all that much difference to matter. So, get the one that feels best. I cuurently carry mine in a M-Tac Monitour holster. Very comfortable and adjustable.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Why not a G22?
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I would go for the 23 for your needs. You should be able to conceal it with a good holster no problem. Unfortunately, I had to go with the smaller 27 just because it is my BUG and I really needed the smaller size to conceal it while on duty. But I do like the 23 more.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I wanted to stay with .40 caliber. I carry a 22 for a duty weapon and have access to .40 ammunition.

I just got my G27 last week and haven't shot it yet but I have carried a G26 before. I like the size and feel of the G27 ( I've fired a rental before purchasing mine) and they shoot great. I just love that little gun.
    Attached Images
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post
    I wanted to stay with .40 caliber. I carry a 22 for a duty weapon and have access to .40 ammunition.
    Same boat here. If you can have and want a BUG, I'd recommend the Glock 27. If just off duty, the 23. I have other guns that are more concealable, but I wanted the interchangeability of mags.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Either will conceal well. I feel the 27 conceals a bit easier for me. Choose the one that you feel most comfortable with while handling it.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I have been carrying the G23 since '92 in my Sparks Executive Companion IWB holster. This is my CC choice when I carry on the waist and have a shirt or coat to cover.

During the summer, I have been carrying the G27 in a Smart Carry (In the '90s, I used "Thunderwear"). It's a great super-conceal combo. The G23, IMHO, is just a tad too big for the Smart Carry, but can work.

If I had to pick between the G23 or G27 for CC, I would pick the G27 for it's extra concealability and carry a couple of Glock 22 spare mags.

Rob

VIP Member
    I have both a G19 & G26... I prefer to carry the 26... I'm a big guy and it is easier for me to conceal the shorter grip of the 26. I can also pocket carry the 26 pretty easily... I usually only carry the 19 in winter or when I'm wearing a cover garment of some kind...

I would think the 27 would make a great duty BUG...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    In .40 is would opt for the 23. If you are flexible about caliber, go with the 26.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

By the time you do all of the mods (Grip extensions, longer mags,etc) that everybody seems to end up with, you have no more concealability than you would have with the 23. I carry a G23 in the winter and feel very confident with it. If you are going for primary carry and not bug, I think you should at least try the 23 at the range. You have a bigger and easier to shoot gun.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Another vote for the 23 - not hard to conceal. You can also do a grip chop in the future if the length is too long and retain the better sight radius and slide weight.

I carry a Glock 27 & haven't added any extensions etc so it is still very easy to con-seal. Also for me & my son we think we shoot better with the 27 over my 22.

I think the best way to make this decision is to try out both on the range & make your own decision. I know I was surprised at how well the 27 shoots considering all the comments about it needing grip extensions.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    My EDC G27 conceals very well with the Pearce grip extension and it is one of the most accurate guns I have.
    Proud NRA member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links