Defensive Carry banner

Glock 23 or 27 for CC?

4K views 34 replies 30 participants last post by  Spike32 
#1 ·
I just can't make up my mind. I like the FEEL and shootablility of the 23, and the SIZE of the 27. I don't know which should be the dealbreaker for my CC weapon?? Thoughts?

#2 ·
I have both and most often carry the 23. I particularly like the purchase or feel of the longer grip. As for concealability, there is not all that much difference to matter. So, get the one that feels best. I cuurently carry mine in a M-Tac Monitour holster. Very comfortable and adjustable.

#4 ·
I would go for the 23 for your needs. You should be able to conceal it with a good holster no problem. Unfortunately, I had to go with the smaller 27 just because it is my BUG and I really needed the smaller size to conceal it while on duty. But I do like the 23 more.

#7 ·
Same boat here. If you can have and want a BUG, I'd recommend the Glock 27. If just off duty, the 23. I have other guns that are more concealable, but I wanted the interchangeability of mags.

#6 ·
I just got my G27 last week and haven't shot it yet but I have carried a G26 before. I like the size and feel of the G27 ( I've fired a rental before purchasing mine) and they shoot great. I just love that little gun.

Attachments

#8 ·
Either will conceal well. I feel the 27 conceals a bit easier for me. Choose the one that you feel most comfortable with while handling it.
Mike

#9 ·
I have been carrying the G23 since '92 in my Sparks Executive Companion IWB holster. This is my CC choice when I carry on the waist and have a shirt or coat to cover.

During the summer, I have been carrying the G27 in a Smart Carry (In the '90s, I used "Thunderwear"). It's a great super-conceal combo. The G23, IMHO, is just a tad too big for the Smart Carry, but can work.

If I had to pick between the G23 or G27 for CC, I would pick the G27 for it's extra concealability and carry a couple of Glock 22 spare mags.

Rob

#10 ·
I have both a G19 & G26... I prefer to carry the 26... I'm a big guy and it is easier for me to conceal the shorter grip of the 26. I can also pocket carry the 26 pretty easily... I usually only carry the 19 in winter or when I'm wearing a cover garment of some kind...

I would think the 27 would make a great duty BUG...

#12 ·
By the time you do all of the mods (Grip extensions, longer mags,etc) that everybody seems to end up with, you have no more concealability than you would have with the 23. I carry a G23 in the winter and feel very confident with it. If you are going for primary carry and not bug, I think you should at least try the 23 at the range. You have a bigger and easier to shoot gun.

#14 ·
I carry a Glock 27 & haven't added any extensions etc so it is still very easy to con-seal. Also for me & my son we think we shoot better with the 27 over my 22.

I think the best way to make this decision is to try out both on the range & make your own decision. I know I was surprised at how well the 27 shoots considering all the comments about it needing grip extensions.

#27 ·
I have one mag with an extension but find I prefer to shoot and carry with a standard mag. I'm just as accurate if not more so without the extension and it does conseal better.

#22 ·
If you are carrying a bug to your G22, no doubt, go G27 as a bug.

+1

...The 23 can be concealed well, but the 27 is that much easier.
Agree.

Some would point out that with the grip extension you have the same size grip as a G23, that is only a 1/2 truth. The G27 is easier to CC (what hinders CC the most IMHO) and with a smaller upper is more comfortable.

The G23 (like the G22) are great guns. If you want more rounds or something a little more accurate, the factual statemrnt is the G22 will be more accurate than a G23, and a G23 will be more accurate than a G27.

With that said, in general, it is easier to CC and more comfortable to carry a G27 than a G23, and easier to CC / carry a G23 than a G22. To state a G23 is as easy to CC as a G27 is just not factual.

#16 ·
I carried a G19 for almost 20 years as a concealed carry and have recently switch to a G23. Same size gun just a bigger caliber, no problem with concealabilty even with the 110-115 degree weather of southern Nevada :tumbleweed:

Before that I carried a 3 inch HB S&W model 36 for over 15 years

#17 ·
I use to own a G23 (great gun) & a G26 (9mm i know but still a baby glock) & the size difference is not that much & i found with the G26 I had to install the pinky extensions or you just cant shoot it......

#19 ·
I've had both and I didn't think the 23 was that much more difficult to conceal than the 27, the concealment issue really just boils down to the grip being longer.

So I'd go with the 23. :wink:

#21 ·
The 23 is my duty weapon. I have carried it off-duty with no issues. But I do find myself carrying the 27 off-duty much more. The 23 can be concealed well, but the 27 is that much easier.

#24 ·
I do find myself carrying the 27 off-duty much more. The 23 can be concealed well, but the 27 is that much easier.
^This. But if I could have only one, I'd get the G23. It conceals just a tad less easily than the 27. Yet with September soon rolling our way, you'll have the season on your side to help with that chore. Also, there is no comparison to how much better the purchase is on the 23 over the 27 IMO.

#25 ·
I have both but prefer the 27. The grip on the 23 doesn't fit my hand well (average size hands) because of the finger grooves. The 27 isn't as crampt even though my pinky does not cover the grip.

As far as extensions on the 27- I made myself learn to shoot it without the grip extension. It's more concealable without the grip extension.

#28 ·
Well, ever since I bought my G27 in 1999? I've made it my number one carry pistol until about a year and a half ago when I ordered a brand new G19. Well, it became slowly apparent that I was feeling good with the G19 and range time...so I started carrying it more than the G27. The main reason I switched wasn't for magazine capacity...it was for the fit and feel of the larger grip and my ability to conceal it just as well as my G27. Flash forward to about six weeks ago, and as I had been wanting seriously to try a G23 and possibly take the place of my G22....I traded that G22 for a G23 at a local gun show. As of this past week, I'm carrying my G23 for summer time, and maybe all of the time. Then again, I am modular and I'll end up carrying whatever strikes me for that day anyway. But after more than ten years of Glock carry......G17, G19, G21, G22, G27, G30, and now G23.....those bought...sold...traded.......I can honestly say this G23 is a keeper for me. Personally, I have what I want now in the Glock lineup and the next Glock will be my lady's (G26) and I might shoot it once in a while. No more changes for me, and my Glocks will last me my lifetime.

#29 ·
I own both and if I had to choose one or the other I'd pick the 23. Still easy to conceal and I like the larger grip and added capacity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.