Defensive Carry banner

Need some opinions on gun purchase

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  IndyCCW 
#1 ·
Here's my dilemma: I'm thinking about adding a 9mm to my carry rotation, and the contenders for this position are a used Sig 228, or a new CZ P01 or CZ PCR. Although the price on the Sig hasn't been set yet, I'm guessing it will be about $100 cheaper than the CZs.

Price aside, I'm really looking at all features: ergonomics, reliability, resale value etc. This is a non-manufacture specific forum, so I know you will be open minded. I'd particular like to hear from someone who might own both. I'd also like to know if you can recommend a place to price out a PCR? Bud's has them, but 10 round only.

#6 ·
Davidson's shows 16 of them in stock and the online price quote from my local dealer is $564.99 ($627.15 OTD).

A friend of mine has several CZ pistols and while they appear to be nice pistols and he likes them, I sure wouldn't trade any of my Sigs for them.

Hoss

#7 ·
I have owned one Sig in the past and currently have three CZs. I owned a 225 because I wanted something single stack for the thinner grip. I was pleased with the weapon, it never malfunctioned, shot point to aim, and was comfortable to carry. It just didn't "do" it for me. It seemed to be a little loose and I didn't like the trigger. Im sure some of the current models would be much tighter, but I have no experience with them. I have carried and shot a 75 compact, PCR, P01 and a P07. I just love CZs! To me they are the best handgun for the money and could be priced much more. If I had to chose one gun to carry all the time everywhere it would be the 75 compact.

#10 ·
I own both the Sig 228 and CZ P-01. They are both fabulous guns, and almost identical in size. If you're interested I can post some comparison pictures.

The Sig mags hold one more round (15) compared to the CZ (14). The Sig trigger and decocker are both smoother than the CZ, but both are extremely accurate and reliable. The CZ fits my hand slightly better, but both are great ergonomically. I've never had a malfunction with either. Honestly you can't go wrong with either gun, so you should choose the one that feels/shoots the best for you.

#11 ·
Never owned a CZ but I have used and carried my Sig 228 for about eleven years. I have found it to be a safe, reliable top quality weapon that I would never part with.

#12 ·
I am big Walther PPS fan but I have recently been sniffing around the CZ bush. Both weapons are of outstanding quality but the EDC nod has to go to the PPS because it is so darn thin. I have a over a thousand rounds through my PPS and it runs like a Swiss watch.

I have heard many positive things about the CZ 75 P-01 or P-06 (.40 variant) but they are definitely chunkier than the PPS.

Since I live in NY I am limited to 10 rounds so if you are in a more permissive state, and high capacity is the sticking-point I would go with the CZ because of the additional capacity but if that is not the concern I say give the PPS a good hard looking over.

#13 ·
While I don't have experience with the Sig, I do with the CZ P-01. I carried a P-01 as my EDC weapon for over a year, replaced it with a P-06, which is the .40 cal version of the P-01. The P-01 is extremely durable, accurate and built tough. Ergonomic on it are outstanding, as on all CZ's. The P-01 is NATO certified and sports the NATO Stock Number on the frame. Below is the link to the testing the gun went through for NATO certification.

CZ-USA -> CZ P-01 gets NATO approval. The next Generation of perfect pistols

#14 ·
You CANNOT go wrong with the 228. One of the best 9mm's made. Mine is now my wifes weapon. I know it will not let her down in time of need. Did a 3K round no cleaning torture (I'm a clean gun freak) with 10 magazines and 115 gr. WWB and a Speer Gold Dot HP thrown into every mag. ZERO malfunctions! It would of probably digested another 3K with no problems.

Glad I didn't as we all know ammo prices went through the roof. Saved a SL of WWB FMJ's.:smile:

Mine (mean my wifes:wink:) will never leave the nest.

#15 ·
IndyCCW in his reply wrote:
own both the Sig 228 and CZ P-01. They are both fabulous guns, and almost identical in size. If you're interested I can post some comparison pictures.

The Sig mags hold one more round (15) compared to the CZ (14). The Sig trigger and decocker are both smoother than the CZ, but both are extremely accurate and reliable. The CZ fits my hand slightly better, but both are great ergonomically. I've never had a malfunction with either. Honestly you can't go wrong with either gun, so you should choose the one that feels/shoots the best for you.
Thank you for your replies. i would love to see some comparison pictures, but I am very interested to know how they compare by weight. Some one on another forum said the 228 was a good deal heavier by 8-10 oz., but my research shows they are identical in weight, and both frames made of aluminum.

#16 ·
IndyCCW in his reply wrote:

Thank you for your replies. i would love to see some comparison pictures, but I am very interested to know how they compare by weight. Some one on another forum said the 228 was a good deal heavier by 8-10 oz., but my research shows they are identical in weight, and both frames made of aluminum.
I will post some comparison pics for you this evening. On the weight issue, you are correct, they are nearly identical. In fact, I believe the Sig is lighter by an ounce or two, but I can't tell a difference by holding the two guns. Having carried both guns, I can tell you that carry weight isn't an issue for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.