Best 1911 for under $500....

This is a discussion on Best 1911 for under $500.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't and have never owned or shot a Taurus 1911. However, I have had to deal with their customer service personally. I owned a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Best 1911 for under $500....

I don't and have never owned or shot a Taurus 1911. However, I have had to deal with their customer service personally. I owned a PT145 that had problems. It took almost 3 months to exchange 2 magazines. That is completely unacceptable as far as customer service goes. It took less time to get my carry license from GA and FL, and that had to go through government bureaucracy! I actually turned down a new Taurus 85 because of their ridiculous customer service. It may not matter to some folks, but that's my reason for recommending the Rock Island. I own one, and if I were to get another one, it would be a Tactial or a Compact. Good luck with whatever you get.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by j21blackjack View Post
    I don't and have never owned or shot a Taurus 1911. However, I have had to deal with their customer service personally. I owned a PT145 that had problems. It took almost 3 months to exchange 2 magazines. That is completely unacceptable as far as customer service goes. It took less time to get my carry license from GA and FL, and that had to go through government bureaucracy! I actually turned down a new Taurus 85 because of their ridiculous customer service. It may not matter to some folks, but that's my reason for recommending the Rock Island. I own one, and if I were to get another one, it would be a Tactial or a Compact. Good luck with whatever you get.

+1...I've dealt with Taurus and have had some trouble. I don't know I'll ever buy another one again.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

I don't think I've ever heard of a 1911 for < $500.00.
    Local shop here has a High Standard GI for $400. On sale. I think his price when I was in there last was $475. Looks like a GI clone -- spur hammer, dinky sights.

Dang. If I'd have known it was going to go down to $400.....

Quote Originally Posted by j21blackjack View Post
    Yes, I do agree I have heard Taurus CC is not very good. I too have a PT 145 and have had a few issues with nose diving myself, but have never had to deal directly with them. If I can't get it worked out I will probably sell it. Like I said any handgun makers can chuck out a few lemons.

I have owned many Taurus pistols through the years and have never had a problem with any of them. I have "heard" that they have had customer service issues; but based on my experience with their products, I'd not hesitate to buy one of their 1911's. In fact if I ever do buy a 1911, it will probably be a Taurus model.
    John Luttrell

Quote Originally Posted by spoz View Post
    You can get a springfield GI 45 in-between $500-600, my friend just got one and loves it. Don't know of any below $500 though.
    -spoz
    +1. There's your inexpensive 1911. Comes in three sizes.

You can look around and still find a Systema Colt (or Sistema) for that kind of money. Good steel in them and real nice guns. Was a batch of them came in a few years back going for like $300. Might need a going over and possibly a finish too but they make great guns. These were well built on Colt machinery sold to and licensed to Argentina.

While I see no reason to carry a 1911 instead of my Glocks (size, weight, ammo capacity), I do appreciate the historical significance of the 1911 design. I've read many good things about Rock Island...hmmm...might have to get one some day.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I purchased this RIA 1911A1 two and a half years ago for $369. They are a bit more now but are your best bet. Mine has performed flawlessly. I have several semi custom 1911's and the RIA shoots as well as any of them.

Here is a good write-up on this gun.
    http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/RIA_M1911A1.htm
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Para arms just came out with a 1911 called the G.I. expert I think. It goes for around 500 and has gotten some good reviews in the magazines.
    Most people go through life wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem! Ronald Reagan

I'd not hesitate to buy one of their 1911's. In fact if I ever do buy a 1911, it will probably be a Taurus model..
    It's a 1911. It's not like you have to go to Taurus for parts.

Quote Originally Posted by TJK68 View Post
    I know alot of people that have the Taurus PT1911 (including myself) and have read alot of reviews on them with most having nothing but good to say about them. I think Massad Ayoob even wrote a great review on them. I know people that have several thousand rounds down range without a problem.You can get a lemon from any gun maker. Do you own a PT 1911 or have you ever shot one, or just going by another means of drawing your conclusion on this firearm. I think for around $600 it is a nice choice for thr 1911. IMHO.

Since I started volunteering at a local range almost 2 years ago, I have been witness to a PT 1911 coming apart right within 5 rounds, several of their new ultralight revolvers having a wide range of serious problems, and even owned a PT145 that was dangerously inaccurate at just 7 yards; that took 17 weeks and the threat of a Federal injuction for me to get a refund out of Taurus.

Their stuff is a slight grade above that of a boat anchor and should not be relied on at any cost due to known accuracy and quality problems that Taurus will claim do not exist and the famous phrase their techs use "we've never heard of this problem before". You, the shooter, would be liable for missing an assailant by using one of their products, even if the accuracy problem is directly related to the pistol and not the shooter (problems with Taurus products are all over the net and plague their newer products). Their older 1911's and 92FS knock-offs were great products but the newer lines just don't meet the quality control that they used to...even the Rossi products that Taurus bought-out have started slipping in quality.

Ayoob usually has great product reviews...but aren't they based on the product that the manufacturer provides him to shoot and review? You usually don't hear him commenting on the mass amounts of annotated problems folks are having with a particular product following one of his rave reviews.

And if someone buys a product just because Ayoob gave it a rave review, then that person needs a firm slap in the back of the head. Buying just because one person who had their hands on a particular firearm for an extremely short period of time is a very bad idea. It's quite foolish. The reviews are great for providing insight on products, but only time will illustrate quality, reliability, and customer service from a company.

Someone previously posted that there were Springfield GI's available for around $500. Very true, I've seen several on gunbroker for ballpark of $400-$600. I used a GI Champion to build my last 1911...didn't need built, just wanted to build one for a change.

I was going to say rock island but they beat me to it. Are they any good? Ive heard good things.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by arby238 View Post
    Bersa makes a 1911 under there Firestorm brand. I have seen it for 495.00
    I may be mistaken(it would not be the first time), but I believe the Firestorm 1911s are(or were) made from the same design and with the same mfg equipment as the Llama brand was.

I have a Llama commander sized 1911 from the '70s and love it but it is not a true 1911 clone. It is functional identical but some parts are slightly different dimensionally and some standard 1911 parts will not fit them. This may or may not be true of the Firestorms being made today.

Again I am not trying to talk you out of it, just do a little research and be sure that you know what you are getting.

BTW, There are some used and even new RIAs and other entry level "govt." models out ther for under 5 bills. Keep your eyes open.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I have a Para USU GI Expert that I picked up for $499 new. Great shooter and a heck of a bargain. I have also seen a lot of RIA 1911s for under $400 at the local shows and have heard nice things about them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links