Suggestions for my wife

This is a discussion on Suggestions for my wife within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The weight of the MK9 makes it entirely different from its polymer counterparts....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for my wife

The weight of the MK9 makes it entirely different from its polymer counterparts.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by speak2u View Post
    Take her to the store you trust, connect her with a trusted sales person and then get the hell out of there for 30 minutes or so...
    Good advice. My wife is partial to the SR9 and the 9 mm Baby Eagle sub-compact. Both have slimmer grips for smaller hands and shoot relatively comfortably.
    The hand of the aggressor is stayed by strength and strength alone!--Dwight D. Eisenhower

+1 on letting her try and decide.

If you don't already, get a good gun safe - I have a GunVault (with pushbuttons - I don't trust the biometric fingerprint reader version) to keep the handguns away from the kids.

I keep my flashlight holster on top of the safe - it goes on my belt only after the safe door is closed. If my light is on my belt, I know the door is locked.

As to your list - Glock 26 and XD 9 SC are good. The G26 has a lower bore axis, and may therefore have less muzzle flip for her. The XD has the grip safety, which is both good and bad. Of the two, I like the G26 better - some folks have reported not being able to engage the grip safety on the XD in certain circumstances. Just my preference for simpler guns - less to go wrong.

The PPS has the weird mag release in the trigger guard - different than most guns, which means more training. It is thin, but not much smaller than my Glock 19.

I would proceed with extreme caution on the polymer Kahrs. Do a search.

Good luck!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

The "best" gun is the one YOU like, not anyone else. It will be a compromise of:

1. Fit - It should fit in your hand like you were born with it there.
    2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time you pull the trigger.
    3. Accuracy - In YOUR hand. It's how well YOU shoot it.
    4. Concealability - It should be comfortable enough to wear and easy enough to conceal so you won't leave it laying on the dresser at home.
    5. Cost - You don't want to scrimp on your "life protector" weapon, but you probably don't need a $1,000 Kimber, either.

All that being said, the XD9SC gets my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowdenknxvll View Post
    My wife has decided that she wants to get her carry permit. We have guns around the house and she is comfortable shooting them at the range but she has decided that she wants "her" gun so she can get really comfortable with it. She wants a subcompact so she can carry it IWB, but nothing that won't be fun to shoot. Of course she is going to go rent everything and find one that points well for her, but I have come up with a few to try.
    1. Glock 26
    2. XDsc9
    3. CZ Rami
    4. Kahr Mk9 or PM9
    5. Walther PPS

We have four young children who have been taught the gun rules, but we both would feel more safe with an auto carried without one in the chamber which is why we have ruled out a 1911 variant. Any more recommendations? Oh, she wants a 9mm.
    Why would carrying the gun with an empty chamber rule out a 1911 variant? It would eliminate the Kahr from my list because of the strange way they have to be chambered - either off the slide stop or by slingshotting the slide. This isn't an issue for me since I carry with a loaded chamber. I've gotten in the habit of slingshotting mine when I chamber a round just to get used to it so it will be second nature.

Other than that Kahr makes a fine and almost disturbingly accurate weapon.

That said, I agree with the ones who say to let her decide. Take her to the gun store and work with a good trustworthy salesperson. A lot of this will be determined by what fits her hand. Renting an example of each weapon would be an even better idea if you can pare the list down to two or three guns (trying to save you some rental fees here).

Also, add a J-frame Smith and Wesson to the list.

Of the five choices you listed, I would go with the XD9sc.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

I like the kahr choice for a everyday
    everywhere carry gun. Very important to be
    as safe as possible around the kids of course
    but in most defense situations not having a round in
    the chamber could be a really bad thing.
    Things happen a lot faster than some people think if you
    do need to fire a weapon in self defense.

All of those choices in your list would be more than adequate I suspect. Although I have no experience with the CZ, it does have a lot of devoted fans.

My personal fav would be the XD9sc since I own one, but the G-26 is equally interchangeable as far as I'm concerned.

I've had a G-23 for 11 or 12 years, so I have no problems with Glocks. They are great. But I've really liked the XD since I got it.

As you and she already know, she will have to be the best and ultimate judge on what's best for her.

I'm just glad she is joining the ranks!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

+1 on letting her choose. I ended up taking my wife to a local gun show where there were hundreds of guns for her to handle. Low and behold she picked a Ruger SP101 3". After reading up on it she did a mighty fine job picking out a winner. Now, I know you're just looking at autos, but make sure your wife doesn't have any difficulty racking the slide, especially if you're both set on carrying with the chamber empty. The downside with revolvers is that they aren't the easiest to hit with (snubbies especially) unless you practice and you do feel the recoil more than in the same sized auto with similar powered ammo.

Renting is a good idea to try before you buy.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Whatever she likes
    Bingo! Otherwise your just buying guns for yourself
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
    It would eliminate the Kahr from my list because of the strange way they have to be chambered - either off the slide stop or by slingshotting the slide.
    Hmmm... what's strange about either of those? And how many other ways can you chamber a round?

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    G26 is my vote
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Hmmm... what's strange about either of those? And how many other ways can you chamber a round?
    Kahr PM9s aren't very tolerant of "riding the slide" when you chamber a round. If you even think about riding the slide they won't go into battery (most of them anyway) on the first round of a full mag. If you come off the slide stop you won't have any problems. Not a big deal unless you plan to carry with an empty chamber.

My wife loves her Kahr K9. The steel frame really sucks up the recoil.

cmb
    Good list to start with though I would also consider the 1911 platform in 9mm. I would NOT carry without it chambered. I do not feel comfortable trying to draw and shoot and hit my target in the 1.5-2.0 sec range while trying to chamber a round. Maybe it can be done but probably not by me.

(I read of an incident where a fellow carried a glock, not chambered, was being mugged, drew, pulled trigger, no bang, got shot by perp, lived & sued Glock.)

I have young children, more than average, and while we need to be cautious of firearm safety we need not put ourselves or them in an even more dangerous situation. You can add a manual safety to a Glock (approx. $150), and I would think an XD. You could also get the NY trigger which takes it to 7.5 lbs. Those two additions add an extra level of securtiy to a DAO pistol. Remember a gun will not go off unless the trigger is pulled, they have internal safeties to prevent this...

There are also higher security holsters with thumb break retention and those made of kydex that are stiffer so your kids could not bump the gun out of the holster or even bump the trigger like they might could in soft leather. I recommend to carry chambered and add these more comforting levels of security.

Another incident I have thought about and the reason why I do not tuck my polo shirt in when not necessary is accessing my IWB pistol with one hand. I try to keep my family to my weak side so i can push them away, pick up a child or two, whatever and draw with my strong side. Can you draw and rack one handed?

Things to consider and think through, have fun shooting guns and let her decide what she likes and enjoy buying for her.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links