Suggestions for my wife

This is a discussion on Suggestions for my wife within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife has decided that she wants to get her carry permit. We have guns around the house and she is comfortable shooting them at ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for my wife

Suggestions for my wife

My wife has decided that she wants to get her carry permit. We have guns around the house and she is comfortable shooting them at the range but she has decided that she wants "her" gun so she can get really comfortable with it. She wants a subcompact so she can carry it IWB, but nothing that won't be fun to shoot. Of course she is going to go rent everything and find one that points well for her, but I have come up with a few to try.
    1. Glock 26
    2. XDsc9
    3. CZ Rami
    4. Kahr Mk9 or PM9
    5. Walther PPS

We have four young children who have been taught the gun rules, but we both would feel more safe with an auto carried without one in the chamber which is why we have ruled out a 1911 variant. Any more recommendations? Oh, she wants a 9mm.

2. Remove Ads

#1 = Bingo!

My wife also has a Glock-26...first it was a S&W 637, then a KelTec P-3AT, but now...the Glock-26.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Whatever she likes
    For me that's a revolver most of the time, come summer, with lighter weight clothing I do carry a bottom feeder(Kimber Pro Crimson Carry) simply because it hides better. Come cooler weather you'll most often find me carrying a S&W 686+.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowdenknxvll View Post
    My wife has decided that she wants to get her carry permit. We have guns around the house and she is comfortable shooting them at the range but she has decided that she wants "her" gun so she can get really comfortable with it. She wants a subcompact so she can carry it IWB, but nothing that won't be fun to shoot. Of course she is going to go rent everything and find one that points well for her, but I have come up with a few to try.
    1. Glock 26
    2. XDsc9
    3. CZ Rami
    4. Kahr Mk9 or PM9
    5. Walther PPS

We have four young children who have been taught the gun rules, but we both would feel more safe with an auto carried without one in the chamber which is why we have ruled out a 1911 variant. Any more recommendations? Oh, she wants a 9mm.
    #2 all the way. The grip safety might be a nice upgrade over the Glock. But what she likes will matter way more than my opinion. Sounds like it's time for some rental fun at the range.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Go and rent. Get her which ever one fits her hand the best.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Purchase

Take her to the store you trust, connect her with a trusted sales person and then get the hell out of there for 30 minutes or so. I am an instructor and advise people on guns all the time but with my wife I am not an instructor but husband and that is totally different. Worked out much better that way.

But as you can see from my signature I am an XD person but either 1 or 2 would be my choice with #2 the first one. From my experience the others are not as comfortable to shoot - but that is just my 2 cents
    NRA Certified Instructor, MADFI Certified Instructor
    Vietnam Veteran, NRA Life Member
    XD 9 MM, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 9MM, XDM 40,
    XDM 40 Limited, XDM 5.25 Canyon Creek Custom 9 mm

All good choices, BUT - please disabuse yourself of the notion that carrying an auto with an empty chamber is a good idea. Under stress, simply remembering to chamber a round is something easily forgotten, or even bobbled. In an emergency situation which requires the presence of a firearm, that firearm needs to be ready to fire.

The other thing I'll mention is that the sub-compact guns you've mentioned are just that much harder to handle and hit with than the 'compact' models of the same series. Do give some consideration to the Glock 19, for example, as well as the G26.

I'm familiar with the Glocks and the Kahrs, and I have a CZ75. Of those I would say the longest, most deliberate trigger pull is on the Kahr, and the Rami has an external safety which I think would help ease some of your unauthorized-user fears. The Springfield XD you note has a grip safety, which might be a desirable safety feature.

Another compact 9mm worth looking at include the Smith & Wesson M&P 9c, with 12-round capacity and a manual safety.

My wife is 5'9 @ 120 lbs & absolutely loves her Kahr PM9 which she carries IWB
    in a CompTac C-Tac
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    All good choices, BUT - please disabuse yourself of the notion that carrying an auto with an empty chamber is a good idea. Under stress, simply remembering to chamber a round is something easily forgotten, or even bobbled. In an emergency situation which requires the presence of a firearm, that firearm needs to be ready to fire.

The other thing I'll mention is that the sub-compact guns you've mentioned are just that much harder to handle and hit with than the 'compact' models of the same series. ...

Another compact 9mm worth looking at include the Smith & Wesson M&P 9c, with 12-round capacity and a manual safety.

+1 on these suggestions.

I find the subcompacts very snappy (I own several on your list). My wife doesn't like my pm9, she prefers her Lcp, or Taurus 850 TI revolver. Defiantly shoot before you buy, and look at the slightly larger guns like the SW mp9c or the Kahr cw9 or Kahr p9.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    what ever fits her hand well out of them all
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

If she's recoil shy, I'd say to skip the Walther PPS.

I have a PPS .40, and I love it, but it's such a slim little gun that there isn't much mass there to temper the recoil. A 9mm wouldn't hit her quite so hard, but it may still be enough to discourage her.

Ditto for a Keltec PF-9, which will beat the hell out of your hands even in 9mm. I'm glad to see that one isn't on your list.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    #2 FTW! :) I dig my XD9sc. Fun to shoot.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I got my wife a G26, it seemed smart at the time. However in hindsight I should have taken her and tried many different ones. In further hindsight I should have gotten her the G19. Had I taken her shopping I would have figured that out.

The good thing is that it was a great excuse to buy another pistol and the G26 is a great gun, it just wasn't the right one for her.

That has cured me of buying pistols for other people without letting them handle/shoot them first.

VIP Member
    Whatever fits her hand and she is comfortable shooting would be my vote. Don't overlook revolvers either, might be a good choice since you aren't comfortable carrying in condition one or two.

I have small hands and short fingers, and the Sig P239 in 9mm fits very well. No external safety, though.

+1 to going to the range and trying out a bunch. That's what I did, and couldn't be happier with my choice.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links