Defensive Carry banner

Change recoil springs or stay with stock?

3K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Extreme Defender 
#1 ·
Most of you know my Defender by now. My question is I found out that Wolff makes recoil springs to replace the stock. Do I replace?

I have a back-up set of stock springs including the spring assembly.

Is it a case of if it ain't broke dont fix it? Or do I upgrade?

The gun does work flawless as it sets?

#3 ·
Wolff make the best. Is your life worth two $6.00 springs? I change the recoil, mag and firing pin springs out every B-Day with Wolff's.
Old Springer .45 eats everything I feed it.

#9 ·
The only time I would replace a factory part with an
aftermarket one is if the factory part was know to
have problems .

#10 ·
Got a longslide 10MM that I've fed everything from 135 grain to 180 grain loads with some hotter and some not so much. I have three different poundage recoil springs and it takes about two minutes to change one. When in test mode I try different springs with different loads to figure out which works best. I settled on the 165 grain FMJ 1350 fps round. The spring that worked the best will stay in the gun as long as it functions well. In short. I agree that as long as it functions with the load you're using don't change anything. If you get radical with loads you may have to adjust recoil/hammer/magazine springs.

#11 ·
When it's time to replace look into ISMI springs..they work great with my Officer's Model and last a LONG time.:smile::smile:

#12 ·
I called Wolff and ordered 2 x 21lb and 1 x 23lb. The stock is 19lb and I have a factory spare already so I figure I would try a little heavier to see if it cuts down on recoil. The gun smith said the factory springs may only last 500 rounds? That sounds low to me no? He also recommended getting a main spring from Colt and keeping as a back-up.

Bottom line is it's a carry gun and I'm using it as a range gun cause its so fun to shoot!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.