Detonics Combat Master Carry Concerns

This is a discussion on Detonics Combat Master Carry Concerns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently picked up a Georgia made Detonics Combat Master with 3" barrel in silver finish. Its a very sweet pistol and I like it ...

Thread: Detonics Combat Master Carry Concerns

Detonics Combat Master Carry Concerns

I recently picked up a Georgia made Detonics Combat Master with 3" barrel in silver finish. Its a very sweet pistol and I like it a lot. It has fed ammo without problem and I really like the size and weight. I unfortunately have a few problems with it.

First, I am concerned about not having a grip safety. The hammer just sits out their in space and just feels unsecure compared to my other 1911 pistols. Am I worrying about nothing?

Second, I did take the risk and lower the hammer on a loaded chamber twice but I just don't think I can do it again. It seems that that was the way the pistol was designed since the hammer is high up designed for rapid finger cocking. I just don't want to lower the hammer on a loaded chamber. Too much risk. I also don't like carrying with an empty chamber.

I normally carry a Springfield Micro Compact 3" IWB or a R9 or S&W 442 in the front pocket. I just saw this sweet piece in the case for a good price and made an impulse purchase. I like how it shoots, I'm just not sure how to carry it.

Any other Detonics owners care to comment. Thanks.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

CCW: Dan Wesson CBOB ~ Springfield Micro Compact ~ Rohrbaugh R9 Elite ~ S&W 442 ~ Cougar 8000 Model L

2. Remove Ads

I don't own a detonics, but I was just wondering, who told you to lower the hammer down on a loaded chamber?

You still have a thumb safety, and there should be a firing pin safety to, it should be perfectly safe to carry with the hammer back.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I love mine and carry it every day condition 1. I carried a Glock 19 prior and I'm used to not having a grip safety so that doesn't really bother me. What more do you need than the safety between your ears anyway? The Detonics is going to work the same as most any other gun... If you keep your finger off the trigger, it ain't going to shoot. From what I've read, the Detonics was designed to be cocked rapidly, that's why the rear sights are so far forward, but I don't think you will find many people that will recommend condition 2 carry.

PS. I would love a set of those original Detonics grips if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks for the quick responses. In terms of the first question, I was reading various articles on the web and they all say that the gun was designed to be carried in Condition 2. Hammer down in loaded chamber. I just don't like to get the gun in this condition.

In response to the second question, I understand about the safety between your ears. But the hammer is in a cocked and locked position without a grip safety. Meaning the gun can fire if the hammer falls. There is no grip safety to prevent that from happening like a traditional 1911. I guess I am looking for reassurance that it is safe to carry cocked and locked without a grip safety.

CCW: Dan Wesson CBOB ~ Springfield Micro Compact ~ Rohrbaugh R9 Elite ~ S&W 442 ~ Cougar 8000 Model L

In short, yes it is. The hammer simply cannot fall unless the trigger is pulled, with the thumb safety off. Now if you are planning to carry your gun around by the trigger, I would recommend a gun with a grip safety. If your thumb safety is as tight as mine is then I don't think it's going to get knocked off by accident either. If you want to get more comfortable, carry it around the house cocked and locked on and empty chamber for a while.

JD
    Administrator
    All the grip safety does is block the trigger from moving (minus models with Swartz safties), if the hammer falls due to anything other than a pull of the trigger, that grip safety isn't going to do much for you anyway.

Browning Hi Power- thumb safety only
    Colt Mustang-Thumb safety only
    Sig 220 SAO-Thumb safety only

Having carried the three above mentioned guns, I would not hesitate to carry the Detonics model, but on the other hand, I would not personally disable a grip safety on a conventional 1911.

I'm guessing that the grip safety is pinned on the Detonics or is the remaining portion of what looks like the grip safety just a space filler?

Quote Originally Posted by j21blackjack View Post
    In short, yes it is. The hammer simply cannot fall unless the trigger is pulled, with the thumb safety off. Now if you are planning to carry your gun around by the trigger, I would recommend a gun with a grip safety. If your thumb safety is as tight as mine is then I don't think it's going to get knocked off by accident either. If you want to get more comfortable, carry it around the house cocked and locked on and empty chamber for a while.
    Thanks for your help. Do you ever pocket carry your Detonics or just IWB/OWB?

It's a little heavy for dedicated pocket carry, pulls down pretty bad. I have dropped it in my pocket around the house though. I carry it in a Crossbreed Supertuck right on my hip at 3:00. I am planning on buying an OWB holster for it after I get my LCR setup going. My supertuck is for my full size 1911 so the rear sights on the Detonics rest on the lip of the holster. I can still turn it upside down and shake it without it dropping the gun though.

I really can't explain how much I love this gun. I traded it for a Glock 19 a few months ago. I had been carrying either the full size 1911 or my P3AT, nothing in between. The 1911 just disappears so nicely due to its thin profile. It doesn't have the capacity of the Glock, but it sure gets carried more often (every day). 19 rounds of .45 (6+1, +6, +6) on me sure beats 30 rounds of 9mm at home.

I personally would never lower a hammer on a loaded gun,I carry all my 1911's condition 1 cocked with safety on
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

los
    I carried a vintage CombatMaster as my primary SD weapon for about a year, always in Con1. I never had any concerns about an accidental discharge. However, I would advise against anyone lowering the hammer on a loaded chamber.

It was one of the most accurate weapons I'd ever owned, with a robust appetite for all types of ammo. I regret selling the little gem..!!

CONGRATS on yours..!!!

Here's a pic of the one I owned....

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Administrator
    I carried one for slightly less than two years and I really liked the gun.
    Nothing about it bothered me. I wish that I had it back.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I've got little bitty hands and short fingers. There's NO way I could thumbcock a CM in a hurry. I have no issues with carrying Condition 1. I use a UBG IWB.

los--I assume you never got that holster you had ordered for your CM. ;)

Herk
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I was a big fan of the Detonics pistols 'way back in the early 1980's, when Jerry Ahern and Leroy Thompson were writing them up in earnest, and other writers were giving them some attention, too, and in that era, Condition One carry was NOT as universally accepted as today. Yes, the "fastback" design of the slide was indeed to facilitate thumb cocking when the weapon was carried in Condition Two.

Just to be clear, the authors I mentioned above carried THEIR own Detonics pistols in C1, but they acknowledged those who did not believe in C1.

As for the grip safety, in a properly tuned 1911 pistol, it is another safety feature, and safety is not a bad thing. I do believe the main reason for the grip safety was a U.S. Army requirement. Keep in mind that large pistols were primarily intended for horse cavalry, and things dropped from horseback were better if drop-safe. A grip safety is one way to accomplish that, adding a margin of safety, because it would be unlikely for brush or other objects to bear against both the trigger and grip safety at the same time during a fall, as these two items operate in direction 180 degrees apart. For urbanized carry, I would think a grip safety far less needed than a cavalryman moving over varied terrain.

I had no qualms about the lack of a grip safety on my Detonics Combat Master. Ultimately, though, I had a crisis of confidence, because while it would feed empty cases, and short-bullet JHP ammo, it would choke on the longer-profile FMJ. I didn't want to depend on a weapon that operated that close to the margin of reliability. I sold or traded it off. A Detonics Mark VII I owned a few years later was the same way, feeding empty cases and short JHPs well, but choking on FMJ and some JHPs. I never got around to trusting this one enough to consider carrying it.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I have one of the old, 1st production Detonics Combat Masters and it was designed for miliary hardball. Mine will load any 230 grain bullet but will often balk at anything less. One of my best freinds was a Chinese linguist for the folks that issued them. He committed suicide by bottle and willed it to me.

Links