Walther PPK and a Sig 232

This is a discussion on Walther PPK and a Sig 232 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is a Sig 232 a copy of the Walther PPK? Thanks In advance Rocky...

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar

Is a Sig 232 a copy of the Walther PPK?

Thanks In advance
    Rocky

EW3
    Not really a copy, but it's a straight blowback design like the PPK and is the the most PPK-like of all Sigs. It takes a lot of inspiration from the PPK much like the Makarov, PA-63 and Bersa Thunder pistols do.

It's a little bigger than the PPK and has thicker grips. I also believe the PPK has a much harder first DA trigger pull than the Sig. I had a P232 (now sold) and from what I understand the PPK and P232 do share one unfortunate trait; slide bite.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Thanks EW3, As far as the frame and slide and trigger gaurd. Are they the same. I had someone ask about making a holster for a Sig 232 and it looks like a PPK. I was wondering if it was a really close match for making holsters?

Back when I had my 230 sig (sold it in june) I could hardly find a holster listed just for a 230,till I tried one kustom made for a ppk,it fit perfectly.Since 232/230 are purt near clones I belive they all will be interchangable.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

PPK's bite. Every time I've shot a PPK, I got "slide bite" due to the grip design.

Sig 230/232's don't do this to me.

I'd buy a Bersa before either of these two.
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

VIP Member
    No slide bite from my P230 either, from anyone who's ever fired it. Not to say that it can't happen, but it hasn't in my experience.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Both of the Bersa and Sigs remind more of a PP than a PPK, the PP being slightly longer than the PPK.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Not sure if the P230 and PPK are close enough to use one gun for the same holster mold. The PPK has an exposed hammer (which shouldnt matter for a holster). The PPK has sharper edges around the trigger guard and a thumb type mag release like a 1911. The PPK also has a safety and the P230 has a decocker.

Maybe a quick call to Tony Kanaly @ Milt Sparks and he could answer your question better. I was under the impression that most holster makers share specifics with each other (within reason of course).

BTW ... My Sig does not bite my hand at all.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The PPK and PP are shorter than the Sig. The Walther is slightly slimmer than the Sig. A Walther may fit a Sig holster but a Sig may not fit a Walther holster. My PPK/s fits my Sig Galco but is loose.

Yes to Walther bite, no to Sig bite in my experience, FWIW.

VIP Member
    The Sig is the better of the two, though slightly larger. Older Walthers may be fine, but the S&W made ones are unreliable junk, especially after the factory recall "fix."

p232 not biting. fwiw, after trying some other smaller 380's, I opted for the larger sig as i have a big paw and I really like the ergonomics. Even with hot ammo it functions flawlessly, and yes...without bite. At least for me. But then I am really taken with this sweet little rig. Quality is what I think everytime I inspect it or shoot it.

I won't stop racing when I get old, I will get old when I stop racing

NRA Life, Master Mason, Jack-of-All-Trades (Master of None)

I did a side-by-side comparo of the PPK and Sig P232 before I bought the Sig. The Sig felt better in my hand and didn't have the sharp-feeling edges that the Walther had. Either would have worked for me. Anyway, I have bought a few used holsters allegedly for PPKs and my P232 fits them just fine. Uh, I think I have 5 holsters for the little guy now. Help!
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

Links