Defensive Carry banner

G26 vs G27

3K views 21 replies 20 participants last post by  dam294 
#1 ·
I been looking for a G26 as HD gun, they are quite rare up here, I have my name on a list for a new one with the extended legal barrel at $995+ tax. Not sure when they will come in. Have just been offered a G27 with a extended barrel, nitesights for $875 the gun is either 2006 or 07. This solves the unsupported case issue that I have with .40cal Glocks. It’s been a long time since I shot a G27, I find the G26 ok to shoot, but not sure about the G27. I am looking for opinion from people that own/owned or shot both as to your opinion on the G27 vs the G26. The gun won’t be shot a lot but might also be a defence gun for my wife. Thanks for any advice.

#2 ·
There will be ppl who tell you it kicks like amule and is unshootable. It is not with proper stance and grip. The 27 is a fine weapon but it does have more recoil than the 26 in 9mm. And please tell me those prices are Canadian.

#3 ·
I've shot both. It really depends on your experience level. I don't think the G27 recoils any harder than a G22 (both are .40). Yes, it's snappy and the 9mm will be more fun to shoot on the range.

Why would you do a G27 with an extended barrel instead of a G23?

Dan

#6 ·
If you need an "extended legal" barrel in Canada, then I would also recommend the full or compact size Glocks for home defense, rather than the subcompacts. The subs are for carry - if it's going to stay home, get the larger pistols.

Of course, the better HD gun would be a shotgun loaded with #1 buckshot. Either 12 G or 20 if your wife has trouble with recoil.

God Save the Queen, eh!:wink:

PS - you can convert a .40 to a 9mm, if legal up there.

#7 ·
Never having any experience with Glocks, two months ago I bought a G26 rather than a G27 because I was afraid the recoil in such a small gun might be uncomfortable. I didn't use my head and rent a G27 until last week, but when I did I found it to have slightly more recoil than the 9MM but not as much as the .45. I was fortunate that my Daughter -in- law loved my G26 and bought it from me, allowing me to purchase a new G27.
I find I shoot just as well with the G27 and actually enjoy it more than the G26. One handed firing of the G27 is not exceptionally difficult at all. If you are a shooter with experience firing the .45, you certainly will have no difficulty with the G27's recoil.

#11 ·
Love my G27. It was my first all time carry pistol for concealed carry. Just wanted something a bit more than a 'nine' with a sub-compact. Things have changed in ten years or so, and the 9mm isn't at all a bad choice these days. I've shot the G26, and in a way, I'm glad I got used to the G27 first. As time goes on.....I think the difference in the two becomes smaller especially with range time. Biggest difference I see these days is the cost of ammo comparatively. You can change a G27 into a G26 for about $170 using stock Glock parts the way I figure it, but that's less magazines. It would be easy to switch between the two once you have the parts.

#12 ·
Two great guns... I love my Glock 26... excellent gun and very accurate... the choice is totally yours... if you want to spend more time at the range I'd go with the G26... if you want a bigger boom that to with the G27.

#14 ·
My first Glock was a G27 and it was a reliable and accurate weapon. After working my through about 10 other Glocks, all of them 9mms or .40s, I've decided on the 9mm platform due to price of ammo, ability to do quicker double taps, concealability, and absolute reliability. Can't say that about all my .40 caliber Glocks.

Recoil differences between the two were marginal, so I wouldn't let that deter me, but the advice of moving up to a G19 or G23 is sound, especially for home defense. If you've never considered an attached light/laser on the frame rail, take a closer look. You can blind a night intruder and you'll have more rounds in the magazine and a bigger grip for a sustained fight.

#15 ·
Recoil differences between the two were marginal, so I wouldn't let that deter me, but the advice of moving up to a G19 or G23 is sound, especially for home defense. If you've never considered an attached light/laser on the frame rail, take a closer look. You can blind a night intruder and you'll have more rounds in the magazine and a bigger grip for a sustained fight.
Good point and something I forgot. The rail. I snap on my M-6 every night for bedtime. My pistol grip flashlight for when I need to go pee in the middle of the night, and a laser all in one for the zombies and a quick application for the third eye. Can't beat it.

#16 ·
It comes down to personal preference. I owned both. The G27 does not have significantly more recoil IMO. The difference is marginal. 9mm will be cheaper to shoot and you will have slightly more capacity. Both are adequate for SD.

My dept supplies me w/ ammo for my 23 and 27. If I had to buy the ammo on my own, I'd be carrying my 19 more often.

#19 ·
Thanks for the advice, presently I carry the 229 in .40cal or 220 in .45acp around the house. But felt a smaller gun would get carried more often and as my wife is getting her licence, the only gun I have she seems to like is my M&P which sadly I can not get in the compact. I do like the G19, but wanted somthing smaller, i was just offered the G27 and need to make my mind up soon.

#20 ·
I too have been considering the 26 or the 27. I'm leaning towards the 27 since I already have the 23 and the mags will interchange. Around here .40 cal is the way to go for finding ammo. I can buy it anytime I want at wally for about $12.50 per box. I've seen 9mm in stock twice all summer. I've managed to get a decent stock of .40 so staying in that caliber seems to be my best bet. I haven't shot either of the sub compacts, but I don't find the recoil on my 23 to be a problem at all. Does anyone think the recoil is all that much different from the 23 to the 27?

#21 ·
We have both in my house 40 cal and 9mm. You can guess who has the forty
and the old guy has the 9mm. When I want power I pull out time tested 45 acp. I'' say what the others have said why go with sub compacts ? Ionly use my
g 26 for carry. Why don't you look at the best Glock , 17.This is the model that put them on the map.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.