Defensive Carry banner

Springfield Mil-Spec 1911

7K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  Sportsterguy 
#1 ·
Does Springfield do anything to this weapon that wasn't done to the originall John Browning design to let the pistol feed hollow point rounds.
I have had a few originals over the years and hardball was all I could use.
I have a gunshow this weekend and maybe I'll find something!

#2 ·
I do know the original Colt 1911 was designed to fire ball ammo because that is all there was back then I believe, I could be wrong. Having owned a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911, I can say that it would not feed Gold Dots, but would feed Federal Hydrashocks, my guess is due to the more rounded profile of the Hydrashocks. In my experience with Springfield's base model 1911s like the GI and Mil-Spec, they will feed most quality JHPs just fine.

BTW I am a die hard Springfield 1911 fan!

#3 ·
They do throat and polish their pistols. But, a properly built 1911 should feed HPs, I have stock USGI pistols from 1913, 1915, 1940 and a Commercial 1950 and they all feed my preferred HPs exceptionally well (Gold Dots).

#5 · (Edited)
IMO the Mil-Spec gives you the most bang for your buck than any other 1911 out there. Has great combat sights, polished feed ramp. polished and throated barrel, lowered and flared ejection port and beveled mag well. Big improvements over the old military models.

If and thats a big if you have any problems SA will fix it fast and free with shiping on their dime. Mine (SA Standard-same pistol, different name) has been 100% reliable since 1990. I swap the recoil, firing pin and mag springs out once a year with Wolff's on my B-Day. Run a hundred rounds through it and clean her up. Use Militec-1 grease and lube and she's slippier than a greased pig.

I added a few mods to mine to fit my requirements in a CCW but it was fine outta the box. It's a bullet eating machine and a KA SD weapon. It has fed everything I've put in the mag and only will not feed properly when I shoot about a hundred soft LSWC's through it. The lead builds up on the feed ramp and the bullets will hang up.

Not a true custom but I have 100% confidence in it and it's a beaut to my eyes. Had it reparkerized and the next finish will be hard chrome from Accurate Plating & Weaponry. They do FANTASTIC brushed hard chrome finishes that last forever.

Here is their website.

New Page 1

#6 ·
I bought a SA GI recently. Mine is the base model. It has cycled everything I have put through it just fine. My Colt O1918 is a little finicky with Cor Bon HP, but it feeds Golden Sabres and Ranger HP just fine. Just picked up another box of Rangers today, so I'm going to put the Cor Bon ammo back in the box and shoot it next time I'm at the range.

#8 ·
although it will probably be a year or more before I can afford another handgun (10/22 and a riflescope or two are earlier on the list) I"m really drooling over getting a 1911 - probably a mil-spec but maybe a colt series 70. Might have to get the piggy bank going!

#9 ·
A friend of mine own's one of these Springfield MilSpecs and constantly has dented casings after ejection. Is that normal?

#10 ·
It's not uncommon. Many pistols have a lowered and flared ejection port, that usually alleviates that problem, but it isn't a must, a properly turned extractor will also do away with dented brass.

#11 ·
Hollow points are best suited to be fired from a ramped/supported barrel rather than the old Browning unsupported design. The old design uses the inside top of the magazine well as a ramp and the barrel is not supported. The unramped/unsupported models are not intended to have hp through them becuase it would damage the top of the frame. You can get around that by using Pow R Ball ammo.

The ramped/supported design allows the rounds to be taken up at a slightly steeper angle by the feed ramp. Less damage can occur to the frame of the firearm that way and it allows for the use of hollow points.

#15 ·
Salute All
Mine seems to eat everything I load up and I also use Gold Dot.

#23 ·
My apologies OD, I should have clarified when I mentioned composite, etc that it was the pistol and not the barrel. To my knowledge, the only material changes to barrels were that some were cold forged and some were not. The others were assembly and design changes.

It was explained to me years ago that the throated barrel is very slightly different than the partially ramped barrel. I'm not as familiar with the partially ramped as I am with the fully ramped or the throated because I've only owned standards, throated, and fully ramped barrels. That said, what the armor told me back then was that the partially ramped barrel will look just like the throated barrel, with the exception that the partially ramped barrel looks like it has a very small tongue that slopes down...the throated barrel does not.

To me, there's very little difference between a stock 1 piece barrel (with minimal throating) and a true throated barrel. Just a little modification at the entry point of the barrel to aid in round entry and seating. By and far one of the best performance mods that can be done on a Series 70 if you want to keep as much of the stock features as possible. Were there just 3 versions of the old style throated barrels (throated/dimpled)? I recall seeing one that looked like it had just a rolled lip on the bottom. (think it was an older Springer)

The fully ramped barrels should be on most of the newer 1911's. I do believe that some can still be made (possibly are) with the old style standard barrel, but I've yet to own a newer one that does.

My 25 year old Springer Milspec 5 inch is a non-throated standard barrel. My GI Champion 4 inch was a fully ramped/supported bull-barrel...w/o the barrel bushing at the muzzle. I have not looked, but I'm sure the GI Champ was a 2 piece barrel (1 part chamber, 1 part barrel) and the 25 year old was a 1 piece barrel.

#25 ·
The fully ramped barrels should be on most of the newer 1911's. I do believe that some can still be made (possibly are) with the old style standard barrel, but I've yet to own a newer one that does.
No, most of the "1911s" currently made have the standard barrels, a select few have fully ramped barrels .

#24 ·
Springfield's "GI" model is closer to government issue than the "Mil-Spec" model.

With that said, the Springfield "Mil-Spec" model is a better value than the "GI" (in my opinion), due to the 3-dot sights and lowered and flared ejection port.

I have a Springfield "GI", and I love it, but often I wish I had gone with the "Mil-Spec" instead. Live and learn.

#26 ·
I have to admit it.

I was a VERY die-hard Glock man until one day I decided that I should give the "Old Man" a shot.

I bought my first 1911, a Springfield Armory "GI" 1911-A1.

Why that choice? It is the closest I could find to the original design, and if it was going to prove itself to me, it was going to have to do it with a real "no-frills" approach.

So?

I took it home and "played" with it. I...umm...fell in love.

"Glass rod trigger" finally means something to me.

I will always love Glocks and their indestructibility, but that 1911 is something else.

Also, I will never modify it. I believe in adapting oneself to the weapon (versus vice versa) in special cases.

I wear my "Grip Bites" with pride, thank you very much...

#27 ·
Springfield Mil-Spec

I bought a Springfield GI model today,I know it's not the Mil-
spec,but brand new in the cardboard box for $400.00.The guy said he's had it for around 5 years and never shot it,I just couldn't pass it up.
Will grips for a Colt fit this weapon? I want to put some nicer grips on her.

#29 ·
I bought a Springfield GI model today,I know it's not the Mil-
spec,but brand new in the cardboard box for $400.00.The guy said he's had it for around 5 years and never shot it,I just couldn't pass it up.
Will grips for a Colt fit this weapon? I want to put some nicer grips on her.
Colt's stocks, or any made for the full size "1911" will work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.