XDm Rumors? - Page 2

XDm Rumors?

This is a discussion on XDm Rumors? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Nek I was really hoping that they would make a 3.5" version of it in 9&40 to stomp on the M&Pc. Hey ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: XDm Rumors?

Quote Originally Posted by Nek View Post
    I was really hoping that they would make a 3.5" version of it in 9&40 to stomp on the M&Pc.
    Hey don't be a hater.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Nek
    Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Hey don't be a hater.
    Alright I agree that came out a bit strong, but I had just come from the mp forums where they were doing nothing but badmouthing the XDs.
    The fact is that I absolutely love the M&P slide shape and agressive serrations, 3.5" barrel, novak sites. The grip never felt anything nearly as comfortable as the XD grip which felt like a glove, almost second nature. The M&P mag release is crummy when compared to the smoothness and ease of access on the XD. Also I strongly prefer the grip safety on the XD for nothing more than piece of mind that there is no way its going off accidently in my pants when I conceal it. I wish there were a way to combine the best features of these two pistols because you would end up with a world beater. To top it off, design the slide stout enough for 40S&W +P and in doing so allow for 'kits' so you can easily change over to 357Sig and 9mm.

Making a compact or sub-compact version would kinda defeat the purpose of the XDm. What do I mean? Think about it, the "m" stands for Match, match means speed and accuracy. Smaller guns produce more muzzle jump which means slower target re-acquisition. Accuracy comes from the barrel length and harmonics. Shorter barrel means less accuracy and reduced muzzle velocity. The 4.5in barrel on the XDm is the perfect length for the handgun. Making it smaller would be disastrous. I do hope and have heard that they are making it for the .45

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Making a compact or sub-compact version would kinda defeat the purpose of the XDm. What do I mean? Think about it, the "m" stands for Match, match means speed and accuracy. Smaller guns produce more muzzle jump which means slower target re-acquisition. Accuracy comes from the barrel length and harmonics. Shorter barrel means less accuracy and reduced muzzle velocity. The 4.5in barrel on the XDm is the perfect length for the handgun. Making it smaller would be disastrous. I do hope and have heard that they are making it for the .45
    Bingo. It would make absolutely no sense for SA to make a compact version of the XDm, at least while they are still producing the XD. They may eventually incorporate some of the "improvements" of the m into the XD, but I can't see them running two different guns off of the assembly line that would be basically the same. The m was developed as a competition ready gun, not as a small, lightweight, CC gun.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

What are people talking about? Why wouldn't anyone want a "match grade" compact pistol? When I think match grade, I think better trigger, better barrel and a better/ more reliable action in general. Wilson, Les Baeur (sp?), Kimber and even SA have made a lot of money on 3" 1911's that many would consider match grade. You show me someone who doesn't want a "match grade" carry pistol and I will show you a liar.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch, Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote"
    --Benjamin Franklin

"Chop your own wood, and it will warm you twice."
    --Henry Ford

"What are people talking about? Why wouldn't anyone want a "match grade" compact pistol? When I think match grade, I think better trigger, better barrel and a better/ more reliable action in general. Wilson, Les Baeur (sp?), Kimber and even SA have made a lot of money on 3" 1911's that many would consider match grade. You show me someone who doesn't want a "match grade" carry pistol and I will show you a liar."

I'm with ConcealedXDm on this.
    I'd be in the front of the line to purchase XDm compact.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    "What are people talking about? Why wouldn't anyone want a "match grade" compact pistol? When I think match grade, I think better trigger, better barrel and a better/ more reliable action in general. Wilson, Les Baeur (sp?), Kimber and even SA have made a lot of money on 3" 1911's that many would consider match grade. You show me someone who doesn't want a "match grade" carry pistol and I will show you a liar."

I'm with ConcealedXDm on this.
    I'd be in the front of the line to purchase XDm compact.
    I agree. If they were to make an XDm Compact 45 similar to the current set up with the two different sizes of magazines, I would consider purchasing one.

Its simple. I carry a XDm40 concealed all day, everyday. Putting that much gun in my pants does at times feel like a cinder block. However, I choose to carry it just for the reason its match grade. I own several XDs, compact and full size but I choose to carry the XDm. SA will not make a compact version of this. Its just not feasible. Like Hoss said, they might bring some of the improvements into the XD line from the XDm in future models but not call it an "XDm" I can tell you that in order for a gun to be called "Match Grade" it has to have a Match Grade barrel and trigger. In a compact or sub-compact version, this is impossible!! However, things like the trigger, the slide, and other improvements will probably start to show up on the newer models of the XD.

Its simple. I carry a XDm40 concealed all day, everyday. Putting that much gun in my pants does at times feel like a cinder block. However, I choose to carry it just for the reason its match grade. I own several XDs, compact and full size but I choose to carry the XDm. SA will not make a compact version of this. Its just not feasible. Like Hoss said, they might bring some of the improvements into the XD line from the XDm in future models but not call it an "XDm" I can tell you that in order for a gun to be called "Match Grade" it has to have a Match Grade barrel and trigger. In a compact or sub-compact version, this is impossible!! However, things like the trigger, the slide, and other improvements will probably start to show up on the newer models of the XD.
    I've said it before, I'll say it again--as an ex-XDm owner, if that's Springfield/HS's idea of a match grade trigger, I don't want to know what they think a bad trigger is.

Although, saying it's not possible to put a match-grade trigger or barrel in a compact pistol is tripe. In fact, those would be the easiest things to put in. Having the compact grip frame with interchangable backstraps on a pistol with a grip safety would be the difficult part.

That being said, I'll be quite surprised if there's ever a XDm compact.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    I've said it before, I'll say it again--as an ex-XDm owner, if that's Springfield/HS's idea of a match grade trigger, I don't want to know what they think a bad trigger is.
    I do know what you are saying on this. The stock trigger is a bit heavy. However, unlike other pistols, this trigger is crisp, light, and beautiful! I have fired some SLOPPY triggers in my time and the XDm stock trigger is match grade. Its just a bit heavy, I think for legal reasons.

I think the whole advantage of the XDm is the 19 round capacity, which would go out the window in a compact or sub version.

As for the match grade barrel and trigger, barrel maybe, but the trigger didn't do anything for me.

I do know what you are saying on this. The stock trigger is a bit heavy. However, unlike other pistols, this trigger is crisp, light, and beautiful! I have fired some SLOPPY triggers in my time and the XDm stock trigger is match grade. Its just a bit heavy, I think for legal reasons.

I thought the XDm's trigger made a stock Glock trigger look good...

Long take-up, mushy break, excessive overtravel, barely adequate reset.

I don't miss it for a second.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I own both XD's and XDm's, and the trigger in the XDM's is definitely an improvement over the regular XD's.

Also, I don't expect any increase in .45 capacity with a .45XDm, but the rest of the upgrades will make it worthwhile.

-Plop
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedXDm View Post
    I remember hearing the same. One would think that in the name of inovation they would want to bring the supposed "M factor" to the other sized guns. Wouldn't a trickle down of technology be a logical progression? Maybe they want to put it off so they can win gun of the year year after year after year. There is a reason for the timing when introducing a new gun to market.
    Other than a stainless barrel there is really no difference in "technology" between the XD and the XDM. Only some cosmetic and aesthetic and ergonomic differences.

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    I think that's too bad, because while the XD is a fine gun, the XDm is just a leap beyond the original. I'd love a compact/subcompact XDm.
    How do you figure this? Slightly, very slightly I say, improved trigger break, target sights and a stainless match barrel? Huge leap?? Hardly.

Quote Originally Posted by diverdown247 View Post
    I'm hearing more of the same here too. It's all marketing.
    The question one might ask is if the Compact slides will fit on the XDm series frames. (not the Subcompact)
    No, they will not. None of the slides will interchange between the two versions of the gun. The XD45 Tactical slide will "fit" onto the XDM rails but its barrel lug is different and will not work with the slide lock on the XDM

Quote Originally Posted by diverdown247 View Post
    With Smith and Wesson's M&P line available in a Compact, you would think that Springfield would have enough sense to produce the M series in compact/subcompact. But, and it's a doozey, what would then drive people to buy the current XD models? Absolutely nothing.
    Plenty of people would still flock the original XD. It is still $100 to $150 cheaper than the XDM and every bit as good.

Smith and Wessons M&P was not designed as a target match pistol. It was designed for Military and Police issue and duty. The XDM is a target pistol from birth. Shame they didn't make the trigger double action so it could compete in Glock Matches.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLaw View Post
    I think a subcompact version would kinda defeat the purpose. The M is supposed to be a match grade target/comp type gun but also a good defensive gun. You don't see many subcompact match guns. I doubt you'll ever see a smaller M
    I agree with this. Why do you need a match barrel in a sub compact gun that isn't designed or even desirable at match distances? Match barrels are designed to resist a lot of heat built up during matches. A defensive sub compact gun will likely never see this type of repeated fire.

Good points!

Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedXDm View Post
    What are people talking about? Why wouldn't anyone want a "match grade" compact pistol? When I think match grade, I think better trigger, better barrel and a better/ more reliable action in general. Wilson, Les Baeur (sp?), Kimber and even SA have made a lot of money on 3" 1911's that many would consider match grade. You show me someone who doesn't want a "match grade" carry pistol and I will show you a liar.
    Stock sub compact barrel is more than adequate and match grade would be no real benefit to a sub compact.

Many 3" 1911's have been very problematic. There, again, changing the original design purposes of a gun to fit the needs of every whim has resulted in a gun that isn't as accurate or reliable.

Sorry, I don't want a "match grade" sub compact for self defense purpose. I don't want the extra cost involved for something I don't need. If I want a match gun I will buy a real match gun.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I do agree with Tally XD on all most all of his points. The only one I dont agree on is his last line. Are you saying that the XDm is NOT a match grade gun?

Probably the number one reason I bought an XDm and stated carrying it is because the grip, the ammo capacity, the accuracy, and the fact that it was at the time the only XD I didnt own. Now, I have a full size XD 5" XD45 that I can hit all rounds in the 10 ring. But, my XDm40 looks better, preforms better, holds more so I can put more in a tighter group in that same 10 ring. Thats why I carry a XDm match grade pistol in my waist band.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links