XDm Rumors?

This is a discussion on XDm Rumors? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Avenger I do agree with Tally XD on all most all of his points. The only one I dont agree on is ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: XDm Rumors?

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    I do agree with Tally XD on all most all of his points. The only one I dont agree on is his last line. Are you saying that the XDm is NOT a match grade gun?

Probably the number one reason I bought an XDm and stated carrying it is because the grip, the ammo capacity, the accuracy, and the fact that it was at the time the only XD I didnt own. Now, I have a full size XD 5" XD45 that I can hit all rounds in the 10 ring. But, my XDm40 looks better, preforms better, holds more so I can put more in a tighter group in that same 10 ring. Thats why I carry a XDm match grade pistol in my waist band.
    No no, not at all. I was trying to state that I would not care for a sub compact being match grade. It would serve no useful purpose but cost more money. If I needed match accuracy and capacity I would stick with a match gun, such as the full sized XDM and leave it at that.

The XDM is an excellent choice for a match gun or a carry gun. I just don't feel that putting match grade accuracy and components in a sub compact is necessary or desirable. I also don't feel that cutting a dedicated design gun down to sub compact size is a very useful thing to do. People choose guns like the XDM for shooting matches. People DO NOT usually, if ever, choose sub compacts for shooting matches where accuracy and capacity are important.

Would it make a good sub compact defense gun? Sure, but why? You would never realize the difference but you would pay more for it. Sub compacts just do not achieve the type of accuracy and velocity that would benefit from having "match" components. No benefit other than stroking the owners ego.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

2. Remove Ads

Tally XD -- Thanks. You are saving me an unbelievable amount of typing time. Agree with you 100%. Unfortunately, you and I must both be liars since we don't want a 3" match grade carry gun.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Nek

improvements

Well then how about just improving the XDSC? No I dont need a match grade barrel in it but I would like to see some of the XDm improvements in it like changeable back straps, more agressive serrations on the slide and the sleeker looking contours of the XDm slide versus the chunky looking XD slide. Oh and also improve the trigger since the XDm trigger is better than the XD's.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    No no, not at all. I was trying to state that I would not care for a sub compact being match grade. It would serve no useful purpose but cost more money. If I needed match accuracy and capacity I would stick with a match gun, such as the full sized XDM and leave it at that.

The XDM is an excellent choice for a match gun or a carry gun. I just don't feel that putting match grade accuracy and components in a sub compact is necessary or desirable. I also don't feel that cutting a dedicated design gun down to sub compact size is a very useful thing to do. People choose guns like the XDM for shooting matches. People DO NOT usually, if ever, choose sub compacts for shooting matches where accuracy and capacity are important.

Would it make a good sub compact defense gun? Sure, but why? You would never realize the difference but you would pay more for it. Sub compacts just do not achieve the type of accuracy and velocity that would benefit from having "match" components. No benefit other than stroking the owners ego.
    Okay, Now we are both on the same page! I totally agree with you. You said exactly what I have been trying to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Nek View Post
    Well then how about just improving the XDSC? No I dont need a match grade barrel in it but I would like to see some of the XDm improvements in it like changeable back straps, more agressive serrations on the slide and the sleeker looking contours of the XDm slide versus the chunky looking XD slide. Oh and also improve the trigger since the XDm trigger is better than the XD's.
    Again, this would pretty much be impossible. There is just not enough room on the back strap to make them interchangeable. However, almost everything else is possible. They could make the slide more contoured with aggressive serrations, a new trigger, and most importantly the take down without pulling the trigger. But like Tally XD said, why pay that much more for features that are pretty much useless? I mean, with the pulling of the trigger in the take down, BE RESPONSIBLE AND MAKE SURE THE CHAMBER IS EMPTY BEFORE PULLING THE TRIGGER!! Just saved you much $$. Or, the trigger, take your XDsc into the gun shop and have them put one it that is more suited for you and your shooting needs. Saved you more $$. You get what I am trying to say?

Quote Originally Posted by Nek View Post
    From an owners aspect that is very doable and even makes sense. But from a factory standpoint as to cost and duplicity in inventory, it makes no sense. However, more aggressive slide serrations might be a good addition. I personally like the blocky, chunky original design better than the angular slide of the XDM.

Trigger kits are available to the user. Someone will probably make stainless barrels for the SC models soon.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Tally XD -- Thanks. You are saving me an unbelievable amount of typing time. Agree with you 100%. Unfortunately, you and I must both be liars since we don't want a 3" match grade carry gun.

Hoss
    I gotta say that the service size and sub compacts I have shot had more than enough accuracy for self defense guns. My XD45 holds 1.5 inch groups at 30 feet when I am able to shoot that accurately myself. I don't need more accuracy than that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links