Defensive Carry banner

Is the Kahr P380 really worth the extra money over the LCP?

14K views 30 replies 29 participants last post by  rodc13 
#1 ·
Just came into a few extra dollars and may be in the market for a 380. Probably will wait for the ammo situation to come around though. Just thought I'd ask people that have both is the P380 from Kahr worth the extra money over the LCP?

#2 ·
Just my opinion but the Kahr seems to be of much better quality than the LCP. The fit, finish and my perception of the quality of materials would lead me to the Kahr if I were in the market for a .380 pistol. Let me qualify that by stating that I have only shot the LCP. I have shot other Kahrs in 9mm and 40 cal. I didn't like the way the LCP felt under recoil and to be fair, I don't like Kahr triggers. If I had to choose one right now, it would be the Kahr.

#3 ·
"Cost" is a relative term. How many folks buy custom or semi-custom 1911 .45 ACP pistols that start at $2k? My .380 ACP is a Seecamp and due to the law of "supply and demand" they're currently selling for a lot more than either the Ruger or the Kahr. If I ever had to use it defensively would the price be worth it? Is there a difference between spending money for a defensive .45 and a .380 used for the same purposes?

Spend as much money as you can, to obtain the quality you can afford. :hand10:

#5 ·
If you want a .380, look at the Sig P232 as well. Sig quality and scary accurate. I didnt like the feel of either the Kahr or the Ruger. Both of them were too small for my hands.

#6 ·
Personal opinion, get the Kahr 9mm and forget the other two.

#8 ·
A wise opinion also.

Get a Kahr MK9 or PM9.

The 9mm has proven superior stopping ability, not to mention that .380 ammo is getting very difficult to find, and costs almost twice as much as 9mm ammo.

#9 ·
I just recently went through the same thought process. I wound up with the Kahr PM9. So far it has been reliable with NO malfunctions of any kind. It is also much more accurate than I expected from a gun this size.

I traded my J Frame and some money for it. I always thought the J Frame showed up in the pocket too much. Also after 25 practice rounds with the J Frame I was ready to quit. I have shot 150 with the PM9 with no issues.

I do think that the LCP is more concealable but the option of cheaper, easier to find, and better selection of 9mm tips the scale. While the Sig and Kahr .380s may be smaller they are almost the same weight.

#11 ·
I agree with this post. I have a LCP and have shot about 300 rounds through it...and I like it and would have no problem recommending it to anyone, but if they asked about a Kahr P380 also, I would steer them in that direciton if cost were not an issue. I have a PM9 and I love it...pocket carried it this morning and although a bit heavy (compared to the tiny LCP) it is not a real issue...and the big plus...AMMO. $8.97 for range ammo at Wal-Mart....380 is 2X that if you are lucky to find it.....wont take long to hit the break even cost point when you take ammo into consideration. I have dry fired a P380 and the trigger was perfect ...way better than the LCP.

#10 ·
OK I am a fan of the whole Kahr line....but for the money and availability you really should take a look at the Sig P238. I handled one at the LGS the other day. They are VERY nice. The guy said they had gotten in two and the owner bought one as soon as he touched it. They were very nice. I am not easily impressed, an can be a gun snob on the right day.

#13 ·
I bought my P-3AT when it was the only super small, ultralight .380 available. Since then, everybody and his uncle Bob has started making and selling them. I'll stick with the original, and if I bought another today, it would be the KelTec again.

#14 ·
I have know idea which is best.

Here's what I will say about MY LCP.

I just shot it again with J man and another friend this week. Sent another 50 rounds through it.

It was flawless, never sneezed or hiccuped and still very accurate. I emptied a couple magazines, rapid fire, one handed, weak side and it was within 6 inch or so group at about 4-5 yards.

J man agrees with me in that we both think it is more accurate in rapid fire mode as opposed to solid two hand slow aimed fire. We were both able to hit a small 12 oz styrofoam cup and make it dance around on the ground hitting it every time with rapid fire the very first time on the day I bought the gun several months ago.

To date, I've put about 300 - 350 rounds since I bought it. 100% reliable with everything put through it! Honady critical defense, Double Tap ammo loaded with Speer gold dot bullets, and various FMJ.

I have absolutely no regrets buying it and will not get rid of it in the future. Regardless of what else I may get down the road... The Ruger LCP is a Keeper!

#15 ·
JMOfartO:

I don't think the question is really "is the Kahr P380 really worth the extra money over the LCP"..

My opinion, fwiw, generally not much, is that I believe in a pistol used for personal protection most people have, generally, the same requirements.

1. Absolute reliability. (or as close to it as any firearm can be).
2. Self defense distance accurate.. (and that ranges varies from person to person.. MY personal self defense range for my LWS380 is three yards, max.)
3. BE CONCEALABLE.. If you cannot carry it concealed, it's worthless.
4. Price.. If you can't afford it, it's worthless.. But buying a self defense choice simply based on price is also not necessarily a smart move.

I've personally owned ( 32cal's in the past) a KT P32, Beretta Tomcat, 2 NAA Guardians and with the exception of the Tomcat all were excellent pistols. The KT never missed a beat and with one exception both NAA's were perfect also. (One early series Guardian went back to the factory for feeding problems, the problem was corrected and the repaired pistol w/a free mag were sent back, never to cause another seconds problem.) The Tomcat was also an early series and it was honestly a piece of crap. Beretta CS was as bad as the Tomcat, but I hear the current Tomcats are much better. (Don't know about the modern bozo's at Beretta CS.)

My current mousegun cc choice is the LWS380. I don't say it will do anything better than the LCP, or the P380, or the new Sig or any of the new 380's hitting the market, but it IS the one I prefer, and I love it. If I couldn't afford it I would have been equally served with any of the others I'm sure.

I think we all know the Ruger LCP is a refined KT P3AT.. I know there was an early recall, but perhaps those problems have been corrected by now. Ruger I believe has a lifetime warranty and a good reputation so they'll get it right sooner or later.

The Kahr on the other hand, as with any new model anything, is IMO gonna have bugs that as a new owner YOU will be finding for the Kahr folks. You buy a new anything, you are generally gonna be a "beta tester" for the company that made the sucker. All Kahrs look alike to me, so this new 380 is probably already "bug free", but only the buyers of the early ones will know for sure.

I expect the new Sig 380, the Micro Desert Eagle and all the other new models to all have a great potential for requiring a de-bugging early on.

But rather than let the price be the determining factor for you, I suggest you find the choices that ARE reliable and accurate AND concealable, AND that you can afford, and try and hold and test fire each if possible.

Then buy what makes you feel warm and fuzzy, price be damned. :hand10:

No offense to those who might be smarter than I in this discussion, or might chose to disagree on my logic. Sometimes I'm wrong. :redface:

Best Wishes,

Jesse

#18 ·
Thank you all for your comments. I have decided to go with the LCP. I must have a short memory about Kahr. I had a PM9 that was a pos, I complained about about 2 years ago. What was I thinking about even considering another Kahr. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. You can replace the fool with anything you want I did in my head so I don't get banned for language.

#20 ·
In answering your original question, "Is the Kahr P380 really worth the extra money over the LCP?", if I were to look only at MSRPs, I would say no. The Kahr lists at $649.00 and the LCP at $347.00 for a difference of $302.00. For that amount of difference, I'll buy the LCP. However, when you look at real world prices, Bud's last price on the Kahr was $521.00 and his current price on the LCP is $379.00 for a difference of $142.00. If I couldn't find a LCP cheaper and if I could find a Kahr at that price, I'd probably go for the Kahr.

Since you've already decided on the LCP, I will say that I am absolutely happy with mine. I don't consider it a range gun but then I don't consider my Kahr PM9 a range gun either. I think the LCP will serve you just fine.

Hoss

#21 ·
If I was gonna drop $600 plus on a new carry pistol, it wouldn't be a .380. IMO the .380 is a BUG to my EDC. I think the round deserves more respect than some give it credit for, but it's on the minimal side for SD and because of that, I found the LCP fits the bill perfectly. It's slim and compact and around $300 and change. If you decide the .380 round is all you need and want to carry, go for the top shelf of pistols in that caliber. Otherwise, spend your big bills on a solid 9mm or better for your EDC. JMO. Cheers.:22a:

#25 ·
A .380 doesn't cut it for me for SD. Great for a BUG. A .38 or 9mm is the least powerful cartridge I will trust my life with.

Ammo for .38 and 9mm is also cheaper than premium .380 ammo. You have to really practice with them smaller weapons to become profecient with them and the LCP in no fun at all to shoot. JMO

#26 ·
I would agree that the Kahr P380 is of better quality than the Ruger LCP and it also comes with optional night sights to boot. However, if I am going to spend $600.00 or more on a .380, then I would buy the Kahr PM9. I figure that if I am already in that price range, I might as well get a 9mm or even .40 S&W caliber pistol that is almost as small and conceals just as well. JMHO.

My money would be spent on the Ruger LCP instead of the Kahr P380 for a pocket .380 auto, mine is a constant carry companion and I don't see that changing any in the near future.

#29 ·
I have the KT P3AT. It has been reliable, and sufficiently accurate for what it is intended to do.
I also have a Kahr P9. It is a quality gun, and just maybe my favorite carry gun. In fact it is my church gun today and tonight.

But as for the OP question, I would opt for the KT or Ruger, and put the extra money on a quality 9mm, such as a Kahr. To spend the extra money for the Kahr in light of my experience with the KT does not make sense for me. If I wanted a quality carry gun it would not be a .380 unless I had money to burn.

Regards,
Jerry

#31 ·
My young bride and I have both had Kel-Tec P-3ATs for several years. It's altogether reliable, extremely lightweight, compact, and serviceably accurate. It's what I grab for a pocket pistol.

That said, I looked at a Sig P238 at last weekend's gun show, and was really impressed. I'm not all that wild about .380 acp, but I really like that little pistol. May be just the thing for a single-action kinda guy like me to have as an option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.