Defensive Carry banner

Short survey about what you carry

4K views 43 replies 28 participants last post by  Trumpetchuck 
#1 · (Edited)
I hope this isn't violating any forum rules...if so, delete this link and/or post and let me know, and I'll be happy to pull down the survey as well.

Anyway, in browsing the 'what do you carry' link, I realized that it's very difficult to tell how many people carry what...In some conversations, it seems nearly everyone owns and carries a J-frame, yet in others, no one seems to. So as a learning experience, I assembled a survey to try to correlate some information.

I'm asking things like: Semi/revolver? Caliber? Carry method? Sight types?

What I'm hoping to be able to do is gather the data and be able to give a good picture of what the most common choices are.

Please note this is asking for PRIMARY carry...and if you notice mistakes or have ideas for other questions, let me know early and I can try to update!

Link to survey

For now, adding a PDF of what the results look like. Once we get more data, I'll look at other ways to cross-reference, and how to present it:

Link to results (47 responses, 8/28/09)

Raw data in .csv format, (at 49 responses, correcting revolver size in semi-auto responses). I'll use this eventually to analyze what's used for which calibers, etc.
----------

Also, while this doesn't track your information, it seems to:
1) record IP address, possibly to prevent repeated submissions (I haven't figured out how to turn the IP recording off, but I will be removing them from any summaries)

2) Use a cookie to prevent multiple entries. So if you REALLY want to skew it, it's possible...I just don't see why anyone would want to.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, it looks like five surveys have been taken thus far including mine. I was unable to view the statistics though....that link didn't work well.

#3 ·
Well, it's an open-source tool and isn't perfect (had a heck of a time not requiring registration)...but I'll make updates to my first post occasionally with the latest data I get. I wish I could just send people to a summary page, so I'll work on seeing if I can get that going.

#12 ·
Thank you! I made some updates based on feedback (and will glean through the thread when compiling results later to make corrections...such as removing one from 'other on-body carry method' and adding one to 'Smartcarry style'.

Also added some other calibers, and managed to only show revolver size when revolver is chosen, etc. Hopefully it won't skew the results too badly if we get a large enough sample size.

Sorry, I can't be sure about setting it up to show the results immediately after filling it in, but I get an email after each response, so I'll be able to update the results at the results link frequently for the time being.

#14 ·
It's hard for me to answer, so I'll give a quick summary here

Caliber smallest .38 largest .45

Semi auto or revolver, both

What I carry depends on my whim and the weather. If I can carry my .44 Magnum revolver great, if not I do carry a .45 1911.
Depending on my schedule and where the day takes me I may carry anything from a J frame in a pocket to the 1911 in an OWB holster
Having 5 carry options I can be the "typical woman" and not have to choose just one :image035:

#18 ·
I couldn't see the results, but I completed my answers.

I look forward to viewing the results of this poll. I think it will be most enlightening. I will admit however to skewing the results, given that I carry a full size gun in .40 S&W with Night Sights and a Laser. BTW, I favor IWB/concealed carry too.

When I was looking at the raw data I saw that 9mm, .380 and .45 ACP seemed to be the most common. That's sort of what I expected. I think more people will select a smaller gun and smaller caliber if they carry daily. I run in the opposite direction, given that I favor larger guns for primary carry.

If you had posted this poll last year I would've answered as revolver for primary carry, as I do tend to switch platforms every year or so. Bear in mind, I'm referring to my off duty carry only, as I have no say in what I carry at work. I wish I did, but that's not to be.

Thanks again for taking the time to do this poll. I'm sure many of us, myself included, will find the results very informative.

Biker

#19 ·
I'm in the majority on most results except my night sights...

#20 ·
Dang, that was an impressive and professional looking survey. Anyway I opted in, even though I had visions of you working for the RAND Corporation (just kidding).
Regards, :hand10:

#21 ·
Done...#72

#25 ·
I think I was 89, pretty good survey... look forward to continuing to see the data!

#27 ·

Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

I carry a "mousegun" Kel-Tec P-3AT which to me is smaller than a sub-compact, but I checked sub-compact since it was the closest.

Bobo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.