Keltec PF-9,how reliable?

This is a discussion on Keltec PF-9,how reliable? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I handled and really liked a Keltec PF-9 today and have questions about them. For those who own these guns how reliable are they? Do ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keltec PF-9,how reliable?

I handled and really liked a Keltec PF-9 today and have questions about them. For those who own these guns how reliable are they? Do they require a break in period or are they good to go out of the box? Would you this a quality firearm for one looking for a small/ slim 9mm for carry?
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    EDC S&W 340M&P,Carry Permit holder in FL and PA.
    I think deep down you already know the answer to your question.
    I value my life at slightly more than $300.
    To be fair I have no experience with the 9mm Keltecs, but I do have personal experience with 2 p32's and 2 p3at's all went back for repair at least once and two went back twice.
    I know, I know

I,ve run about 500 rounds thru the thing and find no real fault
    other than being hard to hold on to.
    Spent some time deburing and removing sharp edges on the grip and that,s made the thing more fun to shoot.
    The gun is My wifes EDC and I'm okay with that.

I carried one for about a year. Loved it. When I traded it, it had about 3,000 rounds through it with absolutely no problems. Except for the wide trigger pad, it was completely stock. No "bluff 'n' buff". So, why did I trade it? I wanted something a little larger, with an SA or striker-fired trigger action, and more rounds. I settled on the XD9SC - it's a honey.

We have one as a rental at the range where I work. Lots of people try it before buying their own, not many people care to have a long range session with it. It rarely gets cleaned and has not had any problems related to durability yet. I don't recall if we put it in the rental rotation new, or if it was used but it has run without any kind of break in by us. We clean it with #9 and foaming bore cleaner, clean that with Gunscrubber and lube with X1-r grease.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackawala View Post
    I think deep down you already know the answer to your question. I value my life at slightly more than $300.
    To be fair I have no experience with the 9mm Keltecs, but I do have personal experience with 2 p32's and 2 p3at's all went back for repair at least once and two went back twice.
    I know, I know
    Saying you have no experience with the actual gun and then knocking it is really not fair to the manufacturer. I bought a PF9 and it worked flawless right out of the box. I also have a P3AT and same thing. No fluff and buff on either gun. I have only had one issue with the PF9. I was at about 450 rounds through the gun without a hitch. I went to the range with a box of "cheap" ammo as it was all I could find. It FTE twice and double fed once. Up to that point nothing like that had occured. I fired 50 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense right after I finished that box. It fed every round without issue. I attribute the problem to that box of ammo, not the gun. Just to be fair to Kel-Tec, I also have a custom .45 that seems to jam from time to time. I also fired a very expensive "high end" 9 mm yesterday with a top NRA instructor that owned the gun. Guess what... it jammed on HIM when he was shooting it. So basing your gun decision on money alone is as foolish as believing expensive guns are perfect. Just my 2 cents.

I have no experience with the PF9
    but have owned a KT .32 for 5 or 6
    years now with only one problem
    the first time I shot it the bullet failed
    to fire. Prob just the bullet. No jams
    misfires of any kind since then. Probably
    have put at least a few hundred rounds through it.
    Dont think the KT pistols are range guns to be shot
    all the time though. My brother has a KT .32 and a spring
    broke within the first year or two that he had it.

Must note too that KT has GREAT customer service
    and will fix most any problems for free if any should arise
    I like the PF-9. I just dont own one yet.

cmb
    I have a P32 (BUG in frontpocket) and PF9 (IWB) and bought them specifically to carry. I carry the P32 24/7/365 and I would say I carry the 60% and my 1911 35% and my P89 5%. I have had not trouble with either of my Kt's. I would get an extra mag or two and carry it with the finger extension. It is a little snappy due to its lightweight but I bought it b/c of the lightweight. 100 rounds and you know you have been shooting, 200 and it hurts. My trigger finger after 100 has a sore spot from the trigger/recoil but that could be the way I hold the gun. Pertaining to function I have trouble shooting 124 grain hp's, granted they were once fired brass. But I use 115 xtp hp and never a prob. I also slipped a bicycle tire tube on the grip to provide a little extra grip without adding thickness.

We clean it with #9 and foaming bore cleaner
    You mean you work at a range that actually CLEANS their rentals? Wow, I'm impressed! +1

I have a P32, and P11. Both go bang every time, and I have no faults with either. I would count on them in time of need.

--I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

Have carried a PF9 for over a year (is my EDC). Completely flawless. Zero failures to date with > 1000 rounds through.

VIP Member
    I got one and it always goes bang. Good BANG for the BUCK.

well made gun and will do the job. i have not had any problems with my kel tecs.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSaber View Post
    Saying you have no experience with the actual gun and then knocking it is really not fair to the manufacturer. I bought a PF9 and it worked flawless right out of the box. I also have a P3AT and same thing. No fluff and buff on either gun. I have only had one issue with the PF9. I was at about 450 rounds through the gun without a hitch. I went to the range with a box of "cheap" ammo as it was all I could find. It FTE twice and double fed once. Up to that point nothing like that had occured. I fired 50 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense right after I finished that box. It fed every round without issue. I attribute the problem to that box of ammo, not the gun. Just to be fair to Kel-Tec, I also have a custom .45 that seems to jam from time to time. I also fired a very expensive "high end" 9 mm yesterday with a top NRA instructor that owned the gun. Guess what... it jammed on HIM when he was shooting it. So basing your gun decision on money alone is as foolish as believing expensive guns are perfect. Just my 2 cents.
    I have to agree I have a PF9 and carry it every day with absolutely no problems, also have a P3AT that I occasionally carry only thing I had to do to that one was polish the feed ramp. Added the finger extension to my PF9. Actually did the Kahr modification using their finger extension because it's longer and added a Hogue Jr. I now actually find it very controllable, maybe not a fun gun to shoot but that's not what I bought it for.

Tom j.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links