Seeking Glock advice

Seeking Glock advice

This is a discussion on Seeking Glock advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, Need a little help with this one.... I went to the range a couple of time with my summer carry Glock 26. In ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Seeking Glock advice

Hi All,
    Need a little help with this one....

I went to the range a couple of time with my summer carry Glock 26. In these trips, I encountered centered primer strikes with no bang three times. One round was Aguila 117gr hp, the other two were 115gr fmj Winchester white box value pack. All three rounds were fired in a second strike. Between trips I did clean the firing pin and channel. Also, a total of 500 rounds were fired. Total round count on the gun is in the 3000 - 4000 range. The gun gets cleaned after every session.

When I do the old shoot a new pencil test (like when buying a used gun). The pin hits the pencil with the same force as my G19 & G30... It pops almost all the way out of the barrel.

So what do you guys think...
    * Is there just allot of hard primers now with ammo shortages?
    * Time for new firing pin spring?
    * Could it be something else???

Oh yea, when I was shooting, I was "riding the reset" in fairly rapid fire when it occurred.

I would much appreciate any help on this one guys.

Sounds like the ammo,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

maybe drop a titanium firing pin
    in that sucka and see how it does

have to ask if you or anyone
    else dry fires the gun as of course that will wear down
    springs faster also maybe a good idea to replace
    the firing pin spring after several thousand rounds anyway

"J Bowen", no on the dry firing... just the pull on an empty chamber for disassemble.

I think I will order a firing pin spring. I have a Wolff one laying around, but is reduced power. I don't think its worth the trouble when I would only carry a stock spring.

I'm thinking of a little polish job on the firing pin and safety plunger. Ever do that?

Ammo.... not enough rounds through the Glock to replace anything.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Well, as I do have 1911 fever these days, the thought crossed my mind to just go hammer fired. Then yesterday, while researching all the things that can go wrong with the ammo, I saw some reports from a guy with the same problem. This guy was shooting an EMP from SA. So, hammer fired is not a cure all. Thank goodness, I have allot of Glock stuff :)

Is it just ammo QA problems from all the recent demand?

Think I'll take up black powder shooting until this crap blows over. BHO may let me keep an Old Army right?

MJK
    Low probability of having two white box misfires coming from the same batch. Is it possible the slide wasn't in battery? Perhaps the recoil spring needs to be changed? Just a guess...but check the Glocktalk.com website for other possibilities.

"MJK" - Yeah, I thought about being out of battery, and you would probably see your striker hit the primer off-center (mine are center). However, new recoil spring is cheap enough.

So far, I'm up to a recoil spring and firing pin spring. Kind of what I figured so far.

I was "riding the reset" in fairly rapid fire when it occurred.
    In this fairly rapid fire event......did you get any surprise firings? I mean the ones where you weren't actually ready for the shot to be fired. How often do you clean the firing pin and channel, and how exactly do you clean them? Glock recommends not cleaning them at all, and especially not with any lubricant left in there for good reasons. Without knowing everything here, I'd have to go with the guys and say it was the ammo as well. Aguila knows 22lr, but 9mm I'm not so sure.
    How old is your G26 pistol? Personally, I have a way of saving on the firing pin spring, and that's to leave all my Glocks that are not with me with the trigger in the rearward position. It takes the tension off the spring. You can get extra power firing pin springs from Wolff, but I can send you a new stock firing pin spring if you would like.

In this fairly rapid fire event......did you get any surprise firings? I mean the ones where you weren't actually ready for the shot to be fired. How often do you clean the firing pin and channel, and how exactly do you clean them? Glock recommends not cleaning them at all, and especially not with any lubricant left in there for good reasons. Without knowing everything here, I'd have to go with the guys and say it was the ammo as well. Aguila knows 22lr, but 9mm I'm not so sure.
    How old is your G26 pistol? Personally, I have a way of saving on the firing pin spring, and that's to leave all my Glocks that are not with me with the trigger in the rearward position. It takes the tension off the spring. You can get extra power firing pin springs from Wolff, but I can send you a new stock firing pin spring if you would like.
    No surprise fires (I only get that on my Ruger MKII).
    I only ever cleaned the FP & channel once. It really wasn't that bad. After the first failure to fire, that night, I pulled the FP assembly and cleaned it off with some gun oil. I cleaned the channel with the same using a q-tip. All was clean and dry when I put it back together. I got the G26 in 2005. I also store my glocks with the trigger depressed so that the spring is under no stress.

Glock does recommend replacing the recoil spring assembly every 5,000 rounds. Empty your 26, hold it muzzle up, rack the slide, dry fire it w/ the muzzle still up and keep the trigger depressed, then rack the slide with the muzzle still up. If it goes into battery, then your recoil assembly is good. If it does not go fully into battery, then it needs to be replaced.

Examine the tip of your firing pin. I cannot see you needing a new firing pin, but they are cheap enough to replace.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    bad ammo
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

If I were you, I would do the following:

Join the GSSF and attend one of their matches in your area if there is one. When you get there, go to the armorer they have at the match and tell him your problem; the armorer will then go through the gun and replace every spring in the gun, and possibly replace the firing pin itself.

Either way, the armorer will put the gun right back to factory-perfect functioning before you shoot the match, so that will eliminate any possiblity of it being a gun problem, and they won't charge you a dime for it......Thats what I do every year at our Glock match here in San Antonio, and my G34 gets a new set of springs in it every 12 months......

All in all, I'd say great customer service.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Glock does recommend replacing the recoil spring assembly every 5,000 rounds. Empty your 26, hold it muzzle up, rack the slide, dry fire it w/ the muzzle still up and keep the trigger depressed, then rack the slide with the muzzle still up. If it goes into battery, then your recoil assembly is good. If it does not go fully into battery, then it needs to be replaced.

Examine the tip of your firing pin. I cannot see you needing a new firing pin, but they are cheap enough to replace.
    Gun just passed that test every time I tried it.

Oh, and remember I did the pencil test. Well, the first time I did it with really a plastic pen on the rubber eraser end, and it almost cleared the barrel. Now, I just found a real brand new #2 pencil, and the striker sends it sailing out of the barrel straight up into the air.

Now, I'm really thinking that I'm gonna put a new FP spring in and just shoot a couple hundred rounds.

I do run the Wolff non-captive guide rod and springs. All other springs are Glock. I do have a spare Glock captive guide rod. I don't like the plastic guide rods. I put Wolff in all my Glocks, and never had a problem.

Nobody else has had this happen with a Glock? I'm sure plenty can remember ammo that didn't cycle an AR... I had 500rnds like that once. They were down-loaded for that British junk gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links