Trying to make a difficult choice...

Trying to make a difficult choice...

This is a discussion on Trying to make a difficult choice... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As many of you know, I had Gastric Bypass surgery on June 29th. Since that time I have lost just over 60 pounds with another ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to make a difficult choice...

Lightbulb Trying to make a difficult choice...

As many of you know, I had Gastric Bypass surgery on June 29th. Since that time I have lost just over 60 pounds with another 50 as my final goal. As I lose weight and mass, I find myself wanting a gun to celebrate and to take my mind off ummmm other issues (those are posted elsewhere on the forum). Since my usual EDC is at the gunsmith for some tuning; I found myself carrying my old Sig P245 in the Blade Tech IWB with sweat shield. The carry was incredibly comfortable. So I find myself leaning in the direction of a 45. Don't want a 1911 (although I will eventually probably get a Sig C3) so the choice is between a Sig P220 "Carry" with the SAS finish; A Sig P250 Compact in 45 and an H&K45 Compact.

I like the H&K for it's mechanism to reduce felt recoil by 30%. The YOUTUBE videos I've seen of this in action are quite impressive. The Sig P250 has some impressive reviews in some of the gun magazines but the 45 version is still fairly new. The Sig P220 "Carry" in SAS has the smooth DAK trigger but overall, the melt job combined with the finish and wood grips is simply one BEAUTIFUL firearm.

I guess I'm looking for input from folks who have some experience with each of these. I'm trying to figure out which will be the most reliable and durable. Ergonomics will be my next mission but since it is so personal, I'll have to wait until the next available gun show. If somebody can post some pix, that'd be great too.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

That P220 Carry would sure be nice! Yes...they are beautiful. I think the Carry model now also comes in SAO. I love my P220 SAO.

I second the 220. Very comfortable grip and the SAS is very carryable.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    220 is my primary, so you know my vote.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

As you may know by a few of my posts, I'm in the middle of a quest for the right Sig for me. It may be a little while still until I decide, but I am officially on a quest.

Model, caliber, action type? It's all still up in the air, but a Sig is in my future!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I would look at the 229
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

First off, congratulations on achieving your goals. I think it is an omen that your goal is 110 lbs, and 2x110=220. OK, maybe that is a stretch but I love my 220 and would recommend that.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ckfarris View Post
    First off, congratulations on achieving your goals. I think it is an omen that your goal is 110 lbs, and 2x110=220. OK, maybe that is a stretch but I love my 220 and would recommend that.
    I can easily see the logic
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Ex I like the looks of the P220 SAS carry myself, have been wanting one for a long time, so I guess that's my vote.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I found myself carrying my old Sig P245 in the Blade Tech IWB with sweat shield. The carry was incredibly comfortable. So I find myself leaning in the direction of a 45.
    I really love my P245. It is one of my 3 primary off-duty carry guns. In fact, it is usually my P245 or my S&W Shorty .45 that is riding on my hip. If you are looking for a new .45 to "celebrate" (and good on ya' for it!), I would recommend trying to track down a S&W Shorty .45. I can pretty much assure you that you will absolutely love it. Another .45 that I am very appreciate to have in my stable is my S&W CS45. When I am dressed way down in shorts and a light t-shirt but still want to carry a .45, it is the way I go. In fact, it was my constant companion when I down in your neck of the woods last week.
    Gonzo
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Wink AHHHHH... nope.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    I would recommend trying to track down a S&W Shorty .45. I can pretty much assure you that you will absolutely love it. Another .45 that I am very appreciate to have in my stable is my S&W CS45. Gonzo
    Gonzo, the S&W M&P was the very FIRST Smith semi auto that I have ever held that suited me ergonomically. I simply can't stand any of the Smith Semis. They just don't feel right when I grip them. Ergonomics is a very unusual critter as I'm sure you can appreciate. Right now, I'm pretty set on the models I listed. I have to admit I also really have an affinity for the H&K. As things currently stand, it's really a tie between the H&K45 compact and the P220 Carry in SAS. The P250 is really a distant 3rd.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Exclamation Pix?

Can somebody post some pix of the three guns in question? Big enough to show some detail? Sig P220 Carry SAS, Sig P250 45 and H&K45 compact? I can't seem to get things going here on that for some reason.

Lightbulb Gunsmith input today

Okay, I had to take my beloved H&K P30 into the gunsmith today (which says something right there because the gun hasn't undergone any trauma) because the hammer was failing to lock back. I suspected it had to do with the new hammer drop system on the P30, which is a small button right next to the hammer spur. Gunsmith took a look and concurred. Possibly a broken spring or at worst a broken part.

So I took the opportunity to ask him to compare the Sig P220 Carry and the H&K45 compact in terms of reliability and durability. He answered SIG without any hesitation. Given that the P30 needs fixing and hasn't been traumatized beyond normal shooting and carrying, that says a lot to me right off. But the standard P220 is still too big for EDC so I'm still looking at the CARRY option. I used to own a Sig P226 and THAT was also too big for me to use comfortably for EDC. I'll have to see.... I REALLY still do like the ability of the H&K to swap out the back straps to reduce the size of the grip. I do have smallish hands....

Wink Sig P250 back in the running....

Well, a major consideration in choosing the P30 that is my current EDC gun was it's 15rd capacity along with the comfort of having a, well, a comfortable grip! So the H&K45 compact has an 8rd magazine + 1 in the pipe of course. The Sig P220 "Carry" has the same. But the P250 has a 10 + 1 capacity with a comfortable grip! AND it is also less expensive than either of the other 2 choices. Plus of course the modular aspect of this unique weapon means that I can fairly easily switch calibers and that's pretty kewl, too.

So anybody actually FIRED the P250 in any caliber but preferably the 45? I dry fired one at a gun show and loved the trigger pull.
    Attached Images

The trigger pull is long on the p250, but the break is clean. Personally I like the trigger on it since it's a constant pull each time, but that's just my preference. I have the P250 in 9mm but am considering getting another one in a different caliber just to have 2 complete pistols.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links