How far do you set the target?

This is a discussion on How far do you set the target? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When you go to the range to practice with the HD/SD pistol, how far away do you set the target?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How far do you set the target?

How far do you set the target?

When you go to the range to practice with the HD/SD pistol, how far away do you set the target?
    NRA Life member
    USCCA member
    A muscle not exercised will eventually atrophy.
    A right not exercised will eventually be taken away!

2. Remove Ads

IMHO practice at 5ft to 30ft. dont get complacent on one set distance.

7 - 25 yards. Most of my shooting is done at 15 yards.

Actually, at work we train combat shooting right off of the paper as well.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

VIP Member
    Most will probably work inside of 21 feet. Personally, I practice from point blank out 21'. Then I will work on the fun stuff - out to 50' and beyond. Not much real world call for the longer distance stuff, but it is more challenging and if you can manage good groups at distance, your close range practice is a breeze.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    It depends. For most self defense situations you more than likely won't be shooting from a distance of more than about 25 feet, closer is often possible as the attacker comes closer. I shoot at various distances within that range.
    I often use the Dot Torture drill as my training practice.
    Here is the link with instructions and printable targets:
    pistol-training.com Dot Torture
    I currently have worked my way up to the 21 foot range with my carry guns and often use these targets just to keep my skills "fresh".
    I am a bit of a nut about accuracy and shot placement and set a personal standard for myself of no more than a 3" group at 21 feet for anything I carry. If I can't meet that standard I won't carry that particular firearm until I can meet that standard.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

MJK
    I vary the distance from arm's length to about 20 yards. Static practice is good for learning the fundamentals of marksmanship, but HD/SD situations are dynamic and often times low light. Most of my practice scenarios integrate these elements. Trying to hit a target while on the move and shooting with one hand in diminished lighting is a lot different than standing on a brightly lit target line punching holes in paper.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I shoot at 3, 7 and 12 yards, split about equal in number of rounds. On rare occations I'll send it down to the 25 yard mark, but I'm getting too old and my bifocals just don't like it when I do that.
    Last edited by ripley16; August 29th, 2009 at 04:29 PM.

EW3
    I always practice at 5, 7, and 10 yards. Nothing furthur, as it could get tricky in a self defense situation if it was determined I shot a bad guy at 40 or 50 feet.

We used to be able to shoot at 3 yards at my range, which is perfect for my pocket pistols, but a couple dummies ruined that by shooting the floor and ceiling, so they stopped that.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Typical Distances

I train at distances from right up against the target while retreating and drawing from my holster and putting shots on target up to 30'. I think that training at different distances is important but you need to make sure that you practice all of the movements that may be required of you as well.

Training on a regular basis is the key to success!
    "In a moment of crisis you will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training". http://www.FreedomTrainerTarget.com

VIP Member
    90% of my shooting is done from point blank to 7 yds. Since this is in the range where most defensive shootings will occur. I do shoot out to 20 yds on occasion, but not often.

From point blank "retention" practice to a max of 25 yds. The great majority of my sd shooting practice is in the 10-25 foot range though.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

I appreciate all the different viewpoints. I will try to practice these in the future to get better under various conditions.

Thanks again.
    NRA Life member
    USCCA member
    A muscle not exercised will eventually atrophy.
    A right not exercised will eventually be taken away!

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    0 - 25 feet at the range. These are the distances that I feel I would ever need to shoot for defense. Of course, there is the chance that I would need to shoot further and for those times, my IPSC competitions give me that practice.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    0 - 25 feet at the range. These are the distances that I feel I would ever need to shoot for defense. Of course, there is the chance that I would need to shoot further and for those times, my IPSC competitions give me that practice.
    OK, if you insist. I'm heading to the range shortly, for my third trip this week
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I usually set up two targets...3 yards, and 7 yards.
    I also use a second range (same club) that has various metal targets (some moving and spinning).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links