Defensive Carry banner

Is it just me?

2K views 16 replies 17 participants last post by  Thumper 
#1 ·
I am not sure if this is just in Kentucky or a nation wide thing. I have noticed that the M&P pistol line is now more expensive than Glocks. Any thoughts as to why?

#2 ·
They have a popularity...as they become more popular, they become more valuable.

#4 ·
Um..........made in USA? The cost of steel? I don't usually compare other lines of pistols on pricing so I wouldn't know how they are around here.

#8 ·
Sold my M&P. S&W has been jerking my chain on the 2 free mags they still owe me from March as well as a replacement backstrap pin (tabs were sheared off from the factory).

In all honesty, the M&P isn't that much better than the Sigma was. It's actually the same pistol, just a little refined. They claim it's Military & Police, but their R&D folks dropped the ball on a few aspects that relate to both...like noise and light discipline. Not that Glocks are any better in the noise department.

I've noticed that even Glock 9mm and .40cal prices are pushing toward the $550 mark with no legit reason why. My local FFL holder was selling Glocks at the sub-$500 mark a little over a month ago. Now they've got a flyer saying "Glock sale! $519.00!", so I asked how it was a sale when just last month they were below $500. Didn't get a response.

#10 ·
This reminds me so much of why hotel rooms cost what they do in various cities & towns throughout the country. The reason:

Whatever the gun market will bear!

The more popular gun, the more the gun will cost. That's the bottom line.

#11 ·
I went to my local shop the other day, I think both were around 500. I paid 439.99 for an M&P back in Feb. I ended up having to sell it due to being off work and needing money for food/bills, I got 500 for it, and that was what the buyer suggested, and he knew what I paid for it. Supply and demand dictates price.

#12 ·
I think you are correct

I was curious about your comment that M&Ps cost more than Glocks, so I did an experiment on Gunbroker, looking at "Buy it now" prices from large dealers for two guns:

1. S&W M&P 9mm, 4.25 inch barrel, black, NIB, two 17 round magazines, no night sights.

2. Glock 17 9mm, 4.49 inch barrel, black, NIB, two 17 round magazines, no night sights.

Here is what I found:

M&P Pricing - $549 Ohio
$559 Illinois
$550 Texas
$560 Oklahoma

Glock Pricing - $499 Missouri
$510 Minnesota
$499 Ohio
$530 Florida

So your theory seems correct - The M&P looks like about $40 more than the comparable Glock.

As to the reason, I think the M&P had to be priced lower than Glock at first because it was unknown and Glock was the standard. Once the M&P established itself in the market and became viewed as equal to the Glock (with some additional features), S&W was able to increase their pricing and make a larger margin on the M&P. Many buyers will now pay a little more for an M&P than a Glock.

#14 ·
The M&P's have always been more than the Glocks around my town in Central Florida...about $35 - 50 more........

AND the dealers also seem to have more leverage in giving discounts onthe Glocks...must be the pricing model and cost to the dealer.

#15 ·
Seems that as the mad rush to buy guns and ammo since last year all guns have increased in price by leaps and bounds. Glocks at my local shop have remained constant in pricing. While some guns have doubled in price most of the glock models have maybe increased $20. I won't complain though cause I know what to expect when buying my next one. :)

#17 ·
Maybe because of the glut of Glocks available? I too have always thought Glocks were cheaper. :smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.