Taurus 709 "Slim"

This is a discussion on Taurus 709 "Slim" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My Ol' Lady picked one up yesterday and fell in love with it quickly at the store. I'm away on a trip, so I couldn't ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taurus 709 "Slim"

Taurus 709 "Slim"

My Ol' Lady picked one up yesterday and fell in love with it quickly at the store. I'm away on a trip, so I couldn't even take any credit for her purchase! She already had a PT 27/7 CD S that she Loooovveeesss (it's pink ), so this is just another taurus in the house!

It's looks pretty sweet, and so far, the reviews that I've seen are good. Anybody here carry one, or has there been a range report? If not, there will be in the next day or two!!!

2. Remove Ads

So where's the pictures????
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I've yet to locate one at my local gun store. Wanting to handle one and see if the quality is what it needs to be for EDC. I have one Taurus and it's been to the range and passed my trials for a home defense weapon.

Kinda nice to see a dependable compact 9mm to compete price wise with Kahr and a few others without compromising quality and reliability.

Interested in your upcoming range review.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Went to the gun show yesterday here in Fort Worth went to purchases a Kahr
    And left there with 2 709 slims one for me and one for my DIL
    As soon as I got home went out and put 50 rounds through it and loved it
    Your wife has done very well IMO

Wes

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Is this it?
    Tactical-Life.com TAURUS’ Slim 709 ...and hers is in pink?

I've not handled one, but the it looks like concealment won't be difficult, but pink?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Roger That, av8er... Standing by for range report! Looks like a sweet pistola!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I had a PF-9 on order (for 3 months!), but really liked the 709 when I saw it at my LGS. Posts on the various sites seem to suggest that a good number of PF-9s require some 'intervention' to make them reliable, while most of the 709s seem to be pretty good right out of the box. Admittedly, there are a lot more PF-9s out there, so this isn't really a valid comparison of how well the two compare. For me, another plus is that the 709 is SA/DA and has a manual safety. So I canceled the PF-9 order and bought the 709. More money, but the fit and finish seems better than the PF-9s I've handled.

This gun is a skosh bigger than a PF-9 or a PM-9, but I'm still able to pocket carry it in loose jeans. Got it to the range yesterday, and put 100 rounds of various (UMC, PMC, American Eagle, and Golden Bear) ammo through it with only a single misfeed (PMC) about 80 rounds in. Sighting was just a tad high. I shot the very first shot off a rest, and the rascal bit me! It's just a little too small for me to use on my cheap rest AND keep my weak hand out of the way. Fortunately, it was just a grazing strike on the thumb, but it bled like a stuck pig!

Other than that, I'm very impressed with this little gun. The felt recoil isn't nearly as bad as I had expected, and the gun is easy to shoot accurately. At the end of the run I was shooting 3 inch groups without the rest at 7 yds - not bad for me. I think about another 100 rounds of FMJ and then some HP to check function and I'll be ready to call this a carry gun.

Slow scopes, fast cars.
    'Chance favors the prepared mind' - Louis Pasteur

Taurus 709 Slim - range report

I purchased one yesterday,8/29/09, and took it to the range today. TOTAL DISASTER...Fired three rounds and had constant FTE problems after that. I mean constant... I could not get two round to cycle consecutively after many many attempts. Not a confidence builder. The ink isn't dry on the warranty card and I allready have to send it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Caper View Post
    TOTAL DISASTER...Fired three rounds and had constant FTE problems after that.
    What ammunition were you using? Hate to ask, but did you clean it good before you took it to the range? That white goop grease they use to preserve it was all over the inside of my 709 when I bought it.
    Slow scopes, fast cars.

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    congrats
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

709 slim rang report

What ammunition were you using? Hate to ask, but did you clean it good before you took it to the range?

Yes I did clean it and got all that white stuff out. I was using Winchester 115 FMJ ammo and when I would take a loaded mag and cycle it by hand it would empty the clip no problem. Only after being fired did it have a problem getting the spent casing out. I don't get it..any suggestions??

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Try different brands of ammo before sending it on vacation.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by Caper View Post
    I was using Winchester 115 FMJ ammo
    IIRC, there has been some discussion over on the Taurus forum that Winchester White Box doesn't feed well in some 709s. There is also some talk about some of them having extractor issues and magazine issues.

I've put Remington UMC, PMC Brass, American Eagle, and Golden Bear through my 709 without any issues. I would suggest that you first try something other than WWB, and if you continue to have problems call Taurus customer service.
    Slow scopes, fast cars.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links