Is your BUG caliber smaller, bigger or same as Primary??

This is a discussion on Is your BUG caliber smaller, bigger or same as Primary?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ....And why?? I've read in many Forums, including this one, that many carry BUGs in a smaller caliber then that of their choice of primary ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is your BUG caliber smaller, bigger or same as Primary??

....And why??

I've read in many Forums, including this one, that many carry BUGs in a smaller caliber then that of their choice of primary ccw. What's a BUG really suppose to accomplish?? If it's intended purpose is to "back-up" when the Primary is incapacitated or unattainable, then why not purchase a BUG that has the same size or larger caliber of a Primary CCW?? Shouldn't a BUG have the same stopping power that your Primary does?? YES or NO??

Let's face it, if you ever need to utilize a BUG in a life or death situation, then it will probably become your only source of defense. Hense, your BUG, by nature of uncontrolable, unforesseen circumstances, becomes your #1 weapon at that instance.

So why not carry a BUG that has a caliber identical or larger than your Primary CCW??? How many here do,...and how many don't.

..AND WHY????
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I think that some carry a smaller BUG because it is usually somewhere slightly less accessible, such as an ankle holster, pocket, etc. Smaller guns are much easier concealed in these places.

This is based on my assumption that majority carries their primary on their hip, which allows larger guns.

Now, same caliber makes perfect sense, and consistency and economy when it comes to ammo. No neee to buy different cals.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Para Ord P-12 Primary. BUG is an AMT .45 Back up in an ankle holster. Same caliber for both.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    My BUG is quite a bit smaller, its a Bersa .380.
    Curry

Well they aren't the same, but they are pretty darned close.

My primary is a Beretta 92D Type-M Compact in 9mm.
    My BUG is S&W 642 in 38 Special.

Why? I couldn't afford a Kahr and didn't feel comfortable with any of the other 9mm options, so went for small, light and reliable with the 642.

VIP Member
    My secondary gun (aka "BUG) when I am off-duty is usually a Kahr PM9 9mm. I love that gun due to its compact size, full-power caliber and complete commonality in manual-of-arms to my primary off-duty gun, a Kahr P9 Covert. They both take the exact same magazines and function as twins.

I sometimes carry a Kel Tec P3AT in .380 ACP...only because it's smaller and flatter than the PM9 so it's easier to conceal.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

9MM primary, .380 (P3AT) bug, I'd love to have a Rohrbaugh R9, making it the same caliber as my primary, but I can't see spending the money.

The P3AT in a nemisis just disappears into my pocket.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Administrator
    The physical size of the firearm is smaller. My BUG is usually a Walther PPK/s .380

Ideally, I would love to carry two full size Colt 1911s but, it's just not practical for me to do that.

My primary stays extremely well maintained & is tested/trusted & not likely to fail so my smaller BUG is really my last ditch compromise option.

I carry a Glock 23 (.40) as a primary and a NAA Gaurdian in .32ACP as a backup. The Gaurdian rides in my front pocket. I've tried larger guns with larger calibers but they just aren't as comfortable or convenient. I know I am sacrificing power for comfort but I am more likely to have the .32 on me so I figure that is a benefit. Its shot placement that counts and at the range I would employ the BUG I know I can hit what I need to hit.

My primary is usually a Glock 17 or a Glock 26. I feel pretty comfortable with either of these. If I carry a BUG, it might be a Skyy CPX-1 (still unproven and in "testing"), or maybe a Beretta Bobcat, 22LR with CCI minimags (whimpy but reliable). My wife usually carries too - same setup - but the Glock 26 is hers.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I don't carry a BUG, as I'd rather carry spare ammo for the primary.

My IDPA club defines a BUG as having a capacity of five rounds. Competing in BUG requires neutralization only -- typically one shot to an "A" zone -- usually the head. Is that correct, Miggy?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I agree, it would be great if your BUG was the same caliber as your primary. I would love to carry a full size 1911 and then a 3" as my BUG. My attire doesn't always allow this. I recently purchased a kel-tec p32. Some days it is my primary because that is all I can carry. I know that the 32 auto is a sub-caliber, but it is better then nothing.

Currently GLOCK 35 is my primary and a 27 is my BUG. I think ideally they should be the same caliber. Best to have the same caliber ammo in both, in my opinion. While the 27's magazines won't fit in the 35, the 35's will in the 27.

VIP Member
    I purchased a Walther P99C AS 9mm which would perfectly fit the secondary gun role if I elected to carry my Walther P99AS Military 9mm as the primary gun. The P99 full-size magazine works perfectly in the P99C.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Assistant Administrator
    My ideal BUG would be my 228 - the primary being 226. But accomodating the second gun of that size would usually not be easy (or comfortable).

However - it is apparent that for most folks the BUG has therefore to be more easily concealed and so a downsizing is all but inevitable. That means in many cases a drop in cal but I am lucky to have my BUG option as the R9 - so I am still 9mm, albeit std pressure and not the +P I keep in SIG.

If possible I would certainly want to have a cal parity from 1º to BUG but appreciate that most of time most folks will have to suffer a cal reduction - this does still tho at least give a 2º option which can be better than no further option at all.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links