Defensive Carry banner

Primary carry survey RESULTS

2K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  harley2007 
#1 ·
Recently, I ran a short survey asking about Defensivecarry.com members' PRIMARY CARRY choice. This was a short, limited survey to gather that information, and some other basic information about their selection.

I was amazed at the number of responses and appreciate all the feedback for the small project.

Summaries of data are available here:
Raw data (.csv)
Survey tool's summary (.pdf)

Disclaimers:
Sorry it's long, but there were a few complaints about the validity of the survey itself.

There were some errors in the first version, and I manually corrected some of the data (just another sign that this is NOT an official scientific study or anything, more for the general information of anyone interested). For example, initially it was possible to select 'semi-automatic' as a carry choice, then to select a revolver size. I removed any conflicting instances of this. Also, as members posted that they had chosen 'other' since their choice wasn't available, I often went in and added their choice (e.g. 9x18 caliber) and adjusted what I was guessing was their response based on the timing of the response.

Also, the responses are simply a snapshot in time (near the end of August 2009). With a large enough sample size, the variations of any individual (e.g. "I switched from a 9mm to a .45 the day after the survey") shouldn't have TOO much of an impact.

Secondary, backup, or other carry options were not considered for this survey. To simplify the survey, in the case where multiple choices were equally common, respondees were asked to select only one.

Responses were NOT filtered for reality or accuracy (e.g. if someone completed the survey indicating they carry a sub-compact semi-automatic .44 magnum, that's what the data says), so recall that there is some error present in the experimental design.

Reponses were all from Defensivecarry.com. This was extremely limited to keep it short, and was a proof-of-concept for testing the survey tool.

Finally, the results:

140 surveys were completed for this information

BASIC SUMMARY (percentages are rounded, so may not add up exactly to 100%)

-- Which type of handgun do you carry most often? --
Semi-automatic: 125 (89%)
Revolver: 15 (11%)

-- Top 5 most popular caliber choices --
9mm: 49 (35%)
.45: 40 (29%)
.40 S&W: 22 (16%)
.38 Special: 12 (9%)
.380 ACP: 9 (6%)

-- Most common size of revolvers --
Snub nose (e.g. J-frame): 13 (87% of revolver carriers)
Full size (3-4" barrel): 2 (13% of revolver carriers)

-- Most common size of semi-automatics --
This question is a little vague (e.g. is a Kel-Tec P3AT a sub-compact, or even smaller?)
Also, only received 124 responses for this, despite a 125 having selected 'semi-auto'
Compact: 50 (40%)
Subcompact: 44 (35%)
Full size (assume a 1911-size): 29 (23%)
Over size (OAL greather than a 1911): 1 (1%)

-- How do you carry most often, concealed or open? --
100% indicated concealed

-- Top 5 holster types used --
(only 138 responses received)
IWB: 80 (58%)
OWB: 28 (20%)
Pocket: 20 (14%)
Other on-body/Ankle/Smartcarry-style/Belly band - 4 way tie, 2 each (1% each)
Off-body/Other - 2 way tie, 1 each (1% each)

-- Type of sites used --
(Allowed multiple selections. Slightly skewed since I allowed a response of 'iron' and 'night'. This was also not a required field, so pistols with no sights simply weren't recorded. Feel free to pick through the data for a clearer picture)
Iron sights: 87
Night sights: 57
Laser: 20
Red dot/optical/other: 1

OTHER RANDOM SLICING AND DICING

-- Who is using lasers, and on what? --
5 on revolvers, all J-frame sized. 4 on .38, 1 on .357. This is a full 33% of revolver responses.

On semi-automatics, 11 of 15 are on compact/subcompact (not surprising since 75% of semi's were in these categories). Usage spans most common calibers (.380, 9mm, .40, and .45)

50% of laser users indicate also having night sights.

IF THERE ARE OTHER IDEAS FOR SURVEYS
I'd be happy to help if someone else would like to work on a more meaningful, in-depth survey in the future as some comments seemed to indicate might be preferred.

See less See more
#2 ·
cj,

Thank you for taking the time to do this survey. I find it most informative, as I like to know what other people are doing. It doesn't change what I will do, but it does help me to focus on what others are doing when discussing a topic with them.

In short, it helps me to understand other people better. I will of course continue to carry a fighting size handgun when the opportunity presents itself, but only because I cannot carry a longarm concealed off duty.

Biker

#5 ·
Lots of possible explanations. Maybe revolver carriers just don't tend to visit the site as much (or fill out surveys) :smile:.

Regarding BikerRN's comment on changing carry, I hadn't thought of that as a possibility, but I realize I have been looking at the data thinking...'well, if that many people manage, maybe I can take a look at something larger than my LCP a little more often'.

#6 ·
That is very interesting. I would have figured the caliber choices in the top three in different order. I guess quite a few folks really like to carry a 45. More so than what I thought. Yes...thanks for taking the time to do this. As for the survey, there's glitches in everything we do since we're only human. I was happy to take part in the survey and results.

#7 ·
I thought the same about 45ACP...I would have thought it would go 9, then 40 and then 45....

This was a great survey, really enjoyed the info and thought the presentation was excellent.

Thanks!

#9 ·
CJ... That was awesome! You can't tell me this was a little job!

I appreciate the time you spent on this.

Like Biker... I enjoy seeing what the masses are doing and it provides a lot of insight into those who carry weapons.

#13 ·
Due to 1911s, .45 ACP as #2, no suprise.

I think many have gone to 9mm from .45 ACP and .40 S&W in the past 5 years, just due to all the interesting, smaller, 9mm that are out there. The 1911s die hards have keep .45 ACP up, and as a round, has lost fewer than .40 S&W. I believe 9mm would still have been #1 5 years ago, but not by such a margin, and you might find .40 S&W dropped from close #2 to now #3. In addition, with 9mm +P, many new CC carries, and former .40 S&W, go with 9mm.

I imagine you would find this even if the poll had even a greater number of poll takers.

#16 ·
Thank you for posting the results of you poll ,:smile:
Like the others have said , i do like to know what
people are doing and why.

#18 ·
Sorry CJ, I didnt thank you before.....this was very informative and would like to see similar surveys for other items.......as they come up....

Thanks again, you did a great job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.