Need Feedback on a new toy (maybe)!

Need Feedback on a new toy (maybe)!

This is a discussion on Need Feedback on a new toy (maybe)! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, summer is fast approaching and I'll have a well deserved break from teaching. I haven't taught summer school in years. This summer I may ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Feedback on a new toy (maybe)!

Exclamation Need Feedback on a new toy (maybe)!

Okay, summer is fast approaching and I'll have a well deserved break from teaching. I haven't taught summer school in years. This summer I may have the opportunity to take a class for which I will be paid. A bonus is that my wife (also a teacher) will take the class as well. Although I won't get my daily rate, I should clear about $700 for the five day class. My conundrum is WHAT TO DO WITH THIS WINDFALL? Our CEO (wife) says we can use it as personal play money instead of bill paying funds. She's going to invest in her jewelry making hobby/business.

I plan on buying a Charter Arms Bulldog in 44sp. I guess it's no longer the company called Charter Arms, but it's still the same group. Anyway, the original Bulldog 44 had several significant problems that seem to have been solved. It's a five shot gun with a very smooth trigger pull, which is unusual for this type firearm. Said to be very accurate, too. It has a 2.5" barrel.

Any comments? I don't want a 38/357 magnum. I can get this (new) in stainless steel for about $330 incl. tax. I think I'll talk to Gary about a holster.

The rest of the money may go to ammo (not all 44!), holster, etc.

Interesting note: This gun made it to Hollywood in the movie MANHUNTER which was the vehicle that introduced the character of Hannibal "The Cannibal" Lecter to the world. Later came Silence of the Lambs, Red Dragon (the book upon which ManHunter was based) and Hannibal. In the movie the gun fired six times instead of five. But they used Glasers to great effect!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    I like those guns. Good thing is that Corbon has several loads for it including the Glasers and a 165 grain JHP spec'd for 1050 FPS and 404 Ft Lbs.

"Manhunter" was one of my favorite movies....awesome soundtrack, plot, action....all without the hype of Anthony Hopkins as Lecter.

Trivia: IPSC Master Jim Zubiena handed William Petersen's character the Bulldog and Glasers....Jim did a super slick (and FAST) draw of a 1911 from concealment in one of the "Miami Vice" episodes.

I guess Michael Mann really liked Jim's gun handling prowess to have him in both "Manhunter" and "Miami Vice."
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by srfl
    I like those guns. Good thing is that Corbon has several loads for it including the Glasers and a 165 grain JHP spec'd for 1050 FPS and 404 Ft Lbs.

"Manhunter" was one of my favorite movies....awesome soundtrack, plot, action....all without the hype of Anthony Hopkins as Lecter.

Trivia: IPSC Master Jim Zubiena handed William Petersen's character the Bulldog and Glasers....Jim did a super slick (and FAST) draw of a 1911 from concealment in one of the "Miami Vice" episodes.

I guess Michael Mann really liked Jim's gun handling prowess to have him in both "Manhunter" and "Miami Vice."
    I remember that Miami Vice episode! He played a hitman and wore yellow shaded sunglasses. His "assignment" was Sonny Crockett (Don Johnson). A buddy of mine (the brother of the lady who was our IDPA club pres) was one of the firearms advisers on the show. He actually loaned Don Johnson his own personal S&W 45 when the original Bren-Ten began malfunctioning.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Have you looked at the Rossi in .44 spl?

VIP Member
    Hey Ex....don't read this month's "Gun tests"....they gave a "Do Not Buy" rating to the S&W 21 .44 Spl....due to the lack of good defensive ammo, fixed sights and other stuff.....I thought it was a nice gun myself.

OD*
    Jim did a super slick (and FAST) draw of a 1911 from concealment in one of the "Miami Vice" episodes.
    Jim Zubiena: 1984 & 1988 Sothwest Pistol Leauge Champion.

That episode was titled "Calderone's Return" (he played "The Argentinean")
    in season one. He fired 3 rounds from the "surrender" position in 1.3 seconds. It took nearly 30 takes to get it on film, the over-sized latex gloves caused problems (yep, a big fan of the early "Miami Vice" ).
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

OD*
    He actually loaned Don Johnson his own personal S&W 45 when the original Bren-Ten began malfunctioning.
    The Bren actually had a .45 barrel, they could not get the 10mm to work with the blanks.

A little Miami Vice gun trivia;
    In the pilot episode, Don Johnson carried a Browning BDA in .45 Auto.
    In seasons 1 & 2, he carried a Dornaus & Dixon Bren Ten.
    In seasons 3 and 4, Sonny switches to a Smith & Wesson 645.
    In season 5, a Smith & Wesson 4506.
    He carried a .45 Detonics Combatmaster in an ankle holster.

The most famous shoulder holster (there were two used, the early one was a Ted Blocker Lifeline) had been made before Miami Vice and was sold as the Original Jackass Rig.
    Rick Gallagher changed the company name (in 1980) from The Jackass Leather Company to Galco International, before Miami Vice hit the air. The rig became so popular that it's now called the Miami Classic.

Rico Tubbs (Philip Michael Thomas) had a Smith & Wesson Model 38 Chief's Special, and or Model 36 or 37. Also carried a chopped Ithaca M37. In the first season, he carried a chopped double.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by srfl
    Hey Ex....don't read this month's "Gun tests"....they gave a "Do Not Buy" rating to the S&W 21 .44 Spl....due to the lack of good defensive ammo, fixed sights and other stuff.....I thought it was a nice gun myself.

The Smith & Wesson or the Charter?

I have seen some EXCELLENT reviews of the new Charter.

Quote Originally Posted by OD
    Rico Tubbs (Philip Michael Thomas) had a Smith & Wesson Model 38 Chief's Special, and or Model 36 or 37. Also carried a chopped Ithaca M37. In the first season, he carried a chopped double.
    Didn't the pump Tubbs carried have a verticle grip on it so he could manipulate the pump faster?

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by OD
    (yep, a big fan of the early "Miami Vice" ).
    Big fan? Okay what vehicle did Crockett drive between the Ferrari Daytona (really a vette customized) and the testarossa?

Cool Back On Topic....

We're drifting here...anybody got anymore comments on the Charter Bulldog 44? Is $330 a good price for NIB SS? That includes tax.

VIP Member
    The S&W.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    Didn't the pump Tubbs carried have a verticle grip on it so he could manipulate the pump faster?
    Yep.

Big fan? Okay what vehicle did Crockett drive between the Ferrari Daytona (really a vette customized) and the testarossa?
    Between the '80 Vette being blown up by a RPG and the introduction of the testarossa? Can't say that I do, it was introduced in the following episode.

Question 44 Special ammo

Lots of different excellent self defense ammo available for the 44 Special.

Gun tests IMO is not the best source of information.

Examples of excellent SD ammo include the Winchester 200Gr Silvertip, Remington 200 and Federal 200Gr LHP, Speer 200Gr gold Dot, the already mentioned Cor Bon 165Gr JHP, Hornady 180 or 200gr, and more.

The committee at www.stoppingpower.net tested some of the above, from my S&W 296 2.5", and I believe my 696 3", and perhaps from my 4" 21. Do a search in the 'test Bed' forum.

The 296 I carry on a daily basis is loaded with the Win ST, or CB JHP, or depending on ammo situation, the Speer GD.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

I just ordered up a 3"44 mag granted not 44 sp but you could shoot it out of it its a carry comp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links