Help.... Fnp 9 or lcr

This is a discussion on Help.... Fnp 9 or lcr within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think I've blown a gasket guys. I have a chance to pick up a new in box Ruger LCR tomorrow or purchase a LNIB ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help.... Fnp 9 or lcr

Help.... Fnp 9 or lcr

I think I've blown a gasket guys. I have a chance to pick up a new in box Ruger LCR tomorrow or purchase a LNIB FN Herstal FNP9. I know we are talking to totally different animals here but they are both outstanding pistols. As of now I carry my trusty P32 (ha ha ha) I hear ya already. I wont be carrying my next purchase much until winter comes and I can switch to a heavier wardrobe. So here it is, I need to be talked in one direction or the other and I need to be positive of my decision. So if you can tell me why one is the best and the other just won't cut it so I can make a fully educated decision. As always thanks for looking and have a great day.

p.s. I can get both of these fine firearms for $425 a pc.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If you don't already have a 9mm or greater auto, I'd say get both!

I originally picked up a S&W 637 as a BUG to my Glock 19. However if the truth be told, I just don't like carrying that much hardware, particularly in the safe environment that I'm ususally in. These days, the 637 is my primary carry (I slip it in my front pocket holster, and it hides no matter what I wear (like your LCR will)), and I'll slap on the G19 when I'm doing the part of my job that puts me in harms way.

Respectfully,

WHEC724

I'm a full time student here at a local college and the rest of time is spent with my daughter. In that case I like to stay protected but not exactly "armed to the teeth."

The FNP is more of a proven design as of now. Ruger likes to make their customers....test rats. I would rather wait on the LCR til it has been out a little longer. Go for the FN.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I haven't had the chance to shoot thr FNP yet and can't find one in a local shop. My major concern is the size of the grip. Does the grip thickness favor the glock pistols. I have smaller hands and I fear after I order this guy I won't be able to enjoy it.

I have the FNP-9 and it is by far my favorite pistol.

I am a small/medium frame guy and I can conceal the FNP very easily in a crossbreed supertuck with a t-shirt as a cover garment.

I don't have any experience with the LCR, but I can almost guarantee you will like the FNP.

As for the grip size, it should come with 2 different back straps which will help you size it to your hands. I don't have very big hands, but I still prefer the larger of the 2 back straps.

Get the FNP

I just sold a FNP 9 a couple weeks ago. It's a amazing pistol. I sold mine because it was going to get more use where it was going then sitting in my safe. 425 is a great price I paid 500 for mine a few months ago. I would for sure take the FNP over the LCR.
    "It is better to judged by 12, Than to be carried by 6"

"You ask me why I carry so much gear??? I ask you why you are not prepared?"

Go for the FNP. My wife has the Browning Pro-9 (essentially same gun) and another friend has the FNP-9. They bought it after firing the wife's gun. It's really a great gun and you will be very pleased. The other nice thing is it has the rail if you wanted to put a light on it for a nightstand gun. Let us know what you decide on.

My young bride has had the FNP-9 for several years and it's an outstanding pistol. I'd definitely vote for the 9, since you've already got a mouse gun.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

VIP Member
    The FNP9 is a full sized gun, basically the same overall dimensions as a G17, but is 3/8" wider and almost 3oz. heavier.

FNP9
    Length = 7.4"
    Width = 1.55"
    Height = 5.4"
    Empty Weight = 24.8oz.

G17
    Length = 7.32"
    Width = 1.18"
    Height = 5.43"
    Empty Weight = 22.04oz.

Many on this site may carry a G17, but for me it is too large to carry comfortably. Hope this has been some help.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

EAJ
    Go for the FNP! :)

cmb
    For me the thickness of a revolver is not conducive to pocket carry. I too carry a P32. It is however my BUG. It depends on its primary use and your usual mode of dress and carry. If you can conceal the FN, I go with it. If you can't go with the LCR. Very personal decision with alot of variables.

FNP9. But that's just me.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Have had FNP9 and FNP9M(compact version-discontinued). Over 5000 total rds w/o first jam in either. Good guns IMHO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links