Taurus PT 1911 problems ?

This is a discussion on Taurus PT 1911 problems ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Raging Bull in .454 Casull that works fine....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Taurus PT 1911 problems ?

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I have a Raging Bull in .454 Casull that works fine.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

2. Remove Ads

Both the the sights came loose on my Blue, first 50 rounds. The set screws were lost. They are licensed Novaks made by Taurus. And are NOT supported by Novak. Does not say much for Novak to sell their name only. Therein started a relationship with Taurus Customer (lack of) Service. After over a year Taurus has done nothing. I replaced the set screws with some sourced from the Internet. Tiny metric set screws are hard to find. (smallparts.com) Gun shoots fine. POA=POI at 15 yds. Bluing sucks, but I don't shoot the finish. The pesky ambi-safety does come loose but has not come apart, you can almost hear it click into place when squeezed. However my issues with the sights/safety and sucky service have removed my trust of the gun, and I would never again purchase anything from Taurus. And I mean anything! Its a safe queen these days.
    Its not so much how many rounds you shoot, but where they stop.

VIP Member
    45tex.
    Both the the sights came loose on my Blue, first 50 rounds. The set screws were lost. They are licensed Novaks made by Taurus. And are NOT supported by Novak. Does not say much for Novak to sell their name only. Therein started a relationship with Taurus Customer (lack of) Service. After over a year Taurus has done nothing. I replaced the set screws with some sourced from the Internet. Tiny metric set screws are hard to find. (smallparts.com) Gun shoots fine. POA=POI at 15 yds. Bluing sucks, but I don't shoot the finish. The pesky ambi-safety does come loose but has not come apart, you can almost hear it click into place when squeezed. However my issues with the sights/safety and sucky service have removed my trust of the gun, and I would never again purchase anything from Taurus. And I mean anything! Its a safe queen these days.

I had the same problem, front sight came loose and I lost it. Finally got customer service and explained what I needed and they send the wrong parts. When I got back on the phone it was easier to reorder than to try exchange the wrong parts. This took about 4 months. I loved the PT before this. Now with the new front sight it shoots a foot and a half low at 20'. I took it to the range twice. I think they send me the wrong one. It sits in the safe and I pick all the guns around it when I go to the range. I want to cut it in half and be done with it or maybe I will look to get different sights for it.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    1500 rounds and flawless performance. I did clean the crap out of it before the first shot.

More than I can say for my ex- Springfield micro.

I have a PT1911AR Blue. It shoots great and has had no problems at all. I did replace the ambi safety and before that I did notice it wanted to separate. Funny thing is you can hardly pull the two sides apart when they are out of the gun? Go figure. Overall I'm very happy with my PT1911, and have maybe 600 rnds through it so far.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

I had the same problem, front sight came loose and I lost it. Finally got customer service and explained what I needed and they send the wrong parts. When I got back on the phone it was easier to reorder than to try exchange the wrong parts. This took about 4 months. I loved the PT before this. Now with the new front sight it shoots a foot and a half low at 20'. I took it to the range twice. I think they send me the wrong one. It sits in the safe and I pick all the guns around it when I go to the range. I want to cut it in half and be done with it or maybe I will look to get different sights for it.[/QUOTE]

One thing you might consider, is more Novak. They produce their own sights for the PT 1911 these days. They will install as well. I do understand the desire to cut it in half too. But I am way too cheap to do that. I shoot mine now and then and it runs well but will never be a carry gun.

NOTE: To JCA1 The ambi safety you replaced, was it a drop in job? Or did it require some smithing? Thanks. Any info is appreciated
    Its not so much how many rounds you shoot, but where they stop.

VIP Member
    45tex.
    But I am way too cheap to do that.

Me too I am talking a big game. I will check out the Novak.

THX.

NOTE: To JCA1 The ambi safety you replaced, was it a drop in job? Or did it require some smithing? Thanks. Any info is appreciated
    not a drop in, prob. can get it done by a smith for maybe $25 or so, not including the safety itself.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

B17
    Why not save up a few dollars more and buy a name you can be proud of -- instead of one you always have to justify and explain....? Like "Oh, hey, don't you know? Taurus is great these days....blah blah" Why associate yourself with such a bad reputation, like the one Taurus has earned for itself....?

-----

VIP Member
    B17. I can't disagree with You. I also got a 3" Springfield. I will be getting another 5". Something that all here raved about.

Everyone has problems,not just taurus. I never had a problem with my pt1911 or taurus 85.I do however have a problem with my springfield gi , ftf 2-3 times per mag. Ive tried different mags and different ammo.

VIP Member
    Can't disagree with that either Gunny.

Yea, they all break/wear out parts etc. The problem with Taurus is not the quality of their guns, it's the quality of their customer service...it's really really bad, but some people get lucky with it.

I've had mine for several months now and i've never had a single problem with it. I too was not fond of tarus from years past but i believe tarus was bought out a while ago and since then their weapons have become much better

Mine's worked just fine.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links