Taurus PT 1911 problems ?

This is a discussion on Taurus PT 1911 problems ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't personally own a Taurus 1911, though know someone who does. The only issue he has had with it is the bluing wearing easily. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Taurus PT 1911 problems ?

I don't personally own a Taurus 1911, though know someone who does.
    The only issue he has had with it is the bluing wearing easily.

I will say that there are 4 other Tauri in the family (2 auto's and 2 revo's) and have had ZERO issues with them and would considering buying another Taurus if they had a model that peaked my interest, at a price that did the same.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    Yea, they all break/wear out parts etc. The problem with Taurus is not the quality of their guns, it's the quality of their customer service...it's really really bad, but some people get lucky with it.
    +1.
    ccman likes this.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MR D View Post
    and I know a few LEO's who use them as duty guns too....
    What?! Where?

If you want a inexpensive 1911, find a base model from a reputable manufacture. It will be a lot more mechanically sound.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    What?! Where?

If you want a inexpensive 1911, find a base model from a reputable manufacture. It will be a lot more mechanically sound.
    +1...you buy quality, you only buy it once.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    What?! Where?

a certain S.O. Colorado - required to purchase their own equipment, Dad carries PT 1911 and has an M1 carbine for his carbine

(he grew up with this kind of stuff, the PT 1911 he carries was mine and has at least 2500 trouble free rounds through it... springs were replaced though) (Come to think of it - the carbine was mine too)

a couple of other guys saw it, tried it during some free time during quals and the local gun dealer got a couple of sales... the local police chief carries a 'sweet' 80 series Colt 1911
    Last edited by MR D; September 29th, 2009 at 02:50 PM. Reason: additional info

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Mine has been my favorite for a while now. Shoots reloads Great .
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

I have about 2000 rds through my pt1911 and it still works great. It has never failed to load fire and eject. Thats what I look for in my weapons.

A nationally-respected 1911 'smith (friend of mine) recently did a fluff & buff on a Taurus 1911. He said the quality of steel & slide/frame fit were as good as most other mid-grade 1911 options (he was pleasantly surprised). But he added that he wasn't as impressed with the sights, slide release, mag release, etc. saying that they didn't represent the same quality & care exibited in the "guts" of the gun. Overall, I think the Taurus 1911 is as fine a handgun as Taurus makes. I'm siding with Sixto (I hate THAT), find me any serious LEO/Military organization that voluntarily, happily arms themselves with Taurus firearms...that'll get my attention.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    A nationally-respected 1911 'smith (friend of mine) recently did a fluff & buff on a Taurus 1911. He said the quality of steel & slide/frame fit were as good as most other mid-grade 1911 options (he was pleasantly surprised). But he added that he wasn't as impressed with the sights, slide release, mag release, etc. saying that they didn't represent the same quality & care exibited in the "guts" of the gun. Overall, I think the Taurus 1911 is as fine a handgun as Taurus makes. I'm siding with Sixto (I hate THAT), find me any serious LEO/Military organization that voluntarily, happily arms themselves with Taurus firearms...that'll get my attention.
    This in fact backs up what a lot of "1911folks" have been saying about building a 1911. They buy the PT1911 then redo the guts(trigger group, firing pin, slide stop, safety, etc...) and get a awesome 1911 for for an awesome price. Lots of 1911 folks don't want all the MIM parts found in Taurus, RIA, Kimber, Springfield, even Colt now(Taurus has the most) so to them the Taurus is a better deal.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

I have had my Taurus 1911 for over a year now and it has shot just fine. However, I reload 38/357, 30-06, 8mm, and .303 British. I decided to start reloading the 45acp in an attempt to shoot Practical Pistol. Plus I was shooting a lot of 45's and need the cost savings, not to mention just trying to find 45's.

Anyway, while looking over my collected brass, I noticed the extractor impression on the back of the case. It's hitting this hard enough to deform the lip! I called Taurus today and got right in to a live person in service. He told me that was normal for his gun. Then made the comment "your trying to reload aren't you". He made it sound like the gun was designed to deform the brass to keep people from reloading. He was not very nice about. Almost happy I was upset over this issue.

I think I'm going learn how too and rebuild this 1911.

My PT1911 has been great since I've owned it. As stated by others though it's really a base gun to build on. Mine now has a new hammer to replace the lawyer piece of junk that was on it. While it was apart I dressed the sear engagement as it was so crooked it was amazing that it worked at all. Have other parts to replace in future. Safety, disconnector, sear and maybe trigger. Has to wait I have a re-ramp job on a buggered up Kimber alloy frame that needs done first. Speaking of Kimber (I own 3) their customer service leaves a lot to be desired also. Hate having to talk to them, well actually they really act like your bothering them so I don't really know if I've ever had a very meaningful conversation with them.
    Attached Images
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

It's great that all of your Taurus guns work... mine didn't. I don't know if it does now or not because I'm not going to find out.

I guess that my PT1911 suffered from hammer drop... and I sent it back to the factory the first time they said they replaced the sear and disconnect... hammer drop happened to me again and I sent it back the second time. They said they adjusted the hammer.

I'll either trade it in or sell it for a Dan Wesson.

I'm not saying all Taurus guns are junk... I'm just experiencing issues with mine and have chosen not to continue owning Taurus.

I have had a Taurus 1911 for 2yrs now and have a couple of thousand rds through it , I went to frontsight with my son for a 4day course and half way through the extractor broke and I had to finish with a rental . I called Taurus and they sent me a new one but it was not the stainless steel one it was blued. Anyway I have done some checking around and others have had same problem. Hmmmmm
    Other than that we will see how it holds up .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links