Help Me With Some Custom Work Choices on My XD

This is a discussion on Help Me With Some Custom Work Choices on My XD within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently bought a brand new XD9SC and am about to send it out for some custom work, almost certainly to the Springfield Custom Shop ...

Thread: Help Me With Some Custom Work Choices on My XD

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

I recently bought a brand new XD9SC and am about to send it out for some custom work, almost certainly to the Springfield Custom Shop (quality is terrific, prices are reasonable & warranty remains intact).

I have a few questions, and I am relatively new to firearms so bear with me.

I am going to get a "combat" trigger job, suitable for CHL duty, night sights, hard chromed slide, etc.

1) I'm not sure which upgraded sights to get on my gun. I really like the "glow-in-the-dark" sights on my Kimber TLE II. I am also a fan of fiber optic sights, since my eyes pick them up very quickly, but have only used them on shotguns. I can choose between Trijicon 3-Dot, Heinie Straight 8 Slant Pro or Heinie 3 Dot Pro sights. Any suggestions?

2) I want to shine up the bbl (really like the look of it) but is it worth it to spend $200+ on a custom-installed Bar-Sto bbl at the XD Custom Shop or am I better off just getting it polished?

3) I know this is a "new guy" question but what is the "metal cover" that is in the middle of the slide (i.e. where you would slide a gun lock cable through or physically inspect for "clear") called?

Any other suggestions for work to consider would be welcome, as I am hoping to make this a one-time event (i.e. I do not plan to send this gun back to Springfield again).

Thanks!

Sights are very personal. hard to give adice on them
    Good trigger job never hurts
    The thing on the slide is the ejection port.

I sure others will have good ideas
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

You can get XS Big Dot Tritium sights put on at the Custom Shop. I got an OD green frame XD9sc. Because I had a 30 day wait for the OD green frame I had the XS Big Dots installed at the Custom Shop before it was shipped to dealer. Just call and ask for them. It wasn't one of the choices on the list, but they have them if you want them.

I have no regrets with those. They are great sights! Also the gun arrived about 10 days earlier than expected!

Since I have a "sub compact" I'm really only looking for "combat accuracy" for a realistic range of 20 - 25 meters and closer. Factory barrel is more than accurate enough for that so I don't know if you would gain much with the Bar Sto bbl. Again, it's not a full size gun where tweaking accuracy with a custom barrel may be a worthy investment.

Combat trigger job probably would be nice. All my guns have stock triggers so not sure if I would know the difference if it had been worked on or not.

JMHO.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

MJK
    I sent my XD45 to Springfield to have the carry trigger job and tritium sights installed. I'm not happy with the trigger...still has way to much take-up and the reset is terrible. Double taps are staggered and almost impossible to execute in a short period of time. I'm thinking of trading in the entire setup for a G21.

No problem with the sights, but if I had to do it over I would order a set of XS Big Dot sights and install them myself. I did this on my G36 and am very happy with the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    You can get XS Big Dot Tritium sights put on at the Custom Shop. I got an OD green frame XD9sc. Because I had a 30 day wait for the OD green frame I had the XS Big Dots installed at the Custom Shop before it was shipped to dealer. Just call and ask for them. It wasn't one of the choices on the list, but they have them if you want them.

I have no regrets with those. They are great sights! Also the gun arrived about 10 days earlier than expected!

Since I have a "sub compact" I'm really only looking for "combat accuracy" for a realistic range of 20 - 25 meters and closer. Factory barrel is more than accurate enough for that so I don't know if you would gain much with the Bar Sto bbl. Again, it's not a full size gun where tweaking accuracy with a custom barrel may be a worthy investment.

Combat trigger job probably would be nice. All my guns have stock triggers so not sure if I would know the difference if it had been worked on or not.

JMHO.

What Bark'n said.......
    I love my Big dots on my Kimber and have a set going on my XD 45.
    Chrome is a personal choice, you like it or you don't, I myself don't want a carry gun to shine.
    Don't forget to save some money for a nice custom holster

GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

You might want to try Springer Precision for custom XD work... it's their specialty. You might also want to check out the XDTalk Forums, for all things XD related. I plan on sending my XD45c to Springer Precision to have combat/carry trigger work done. I've got factory Trijicon night sights installed on mine and love them.

Quote Originally Posted by mich3210 View Post
    You might want to try Springer Precision for custom XD work... it's their specialty. ...I plan on sending my XD45c to Springer Precision to have combat/carry trigger work done.
    Is the Springer Precision trigger work better than the work that the Springfield Custom Shop does? Seems like at least one person was unhappy with the custom work that was done.

Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    I sent my XD45 to Springfield to have the carry trigger job and tritium sights installed. I'm not happy with the trigger...still has way to much take-up and the reset is terrible. Double taps are staggered and almost impossible to execute in a short period of time.
    You've got me thinking... am I asking for too much to make my XD capable of quick follow-up shots (i.e. double tap)? Or is just a matter of getting to the correct gunsmith?

Thumbs up

Springer Precision triggers are the best. Sent my 45C to him and his trigger jobs are the closest to a 1911 trigger you could find.

Fast turn around and will work with you via phone or e-mail to make the system the way you want it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    Is the Springer Precision trigger work better than the work that the Springfield Custom Shop does? Seems like at least one person was unhappy with the custom work that was done.
    I've heard nothing but great things about Scott's work. You should really check out XDTalk. Members over there can answer these types of XD related questions.

May I suggest that you shoot several thousand rounds first?

This will give you time to break in the gun, and see what you like and do not like.

I find that double taps with both of my XD's are good, and this if coming from a 1911 guy! Practice makes perfect!

Jamie

Sponsored Links