CA travel with handgun

CA travel with handgun

This is a discussion on CA travel with handgun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I searched and was unable to reach a definitive conclusion. I'll be vacationing in the LA area this weekend, and I'd MUCH prefer not ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CA travel with handgun

CA travel with handgun

OK, I searched and was unable to reach a definitive conclusion.
    I'll be vacationing in the LA area this weekend, and I'd MUCH prefer not to do it unarmed. I know I can't carry, but it IS legal to have in the hotel room. I also understand the rules about the actual trip in the vehicle. (locked in a case, etc.) My question concerns hi-cap magazines. Can I bring them?
    The law says I can't manufacture, import (I assume for sale), give, lend, or sell them. It also says it not against the law to posess them if they were bought before the AWB. Does "import" mean to bring it AT ALL, even thought I'm just visiting there? I don't own any 10-rounders for my G20.
    What say the experts? Am I stuck with my J-frame this weekend?
    TIA!
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

Good Luck Dude,that sounds like a nightmare
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I think "import" generally implies for sale. Merriam-Webster says to bring (as merchandise) into a place or country from another country, but who knows what lawyers, DA's or an overzealous LEO might think.

Personally, in California, I wouldn't chance it. In addition to the state laws, you have a bunch of local ordinances, and who knows WHAT of those you might end up violating. It's the most anti-gun state in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Personally, in California, I wouldn't chance it. In addition to the state laws, you have a bunch of local ordinances, and who knows WHAT of those you might end up violating. It's the most anti-gun state in the country.
    Um, no it isn't. In some states (IL, MA, etc) you have to have "permission" from the state to even OWN a handgun. FOID card, etc. Not so in CA.

Also, you can legally carry openly with an UNLOADED firearm in CA and NO permit is needed. You can even have loaded magazines/speed loaders on your person at the same time. Just no ammo in the gun. Not many people realize that, or they forget about it.

Also, for the OP, if the mags are truly pre-ban and you can PROVE it, then you are perfectly fine to bring them into CA for your own use.

Quote Originally Posted by scotth View Post
    Also, for the OP, if the mags are truly pre-ban and you can PROVE it, then you are perfectly fine to bring them into CA for your own use.
    Do you have a link for that info?
    Also, how would I prove that I had the gun/mags pre-ban?
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Nearly all magazines manufactured after the ban have "FOR GOV"T, LE USE ONLY" stamped on them. If that's not on there you should be OK. I've never seen a magazine that actually had it's date of manufacture on it.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

You can use Google just as easily as I can...but, here goes...

http://www.californiaopencarry.org/C...aOpenCarry.pdf

Are the mags over 10 rounds and NOT stamped "LE/Gov't only"? If so, then those are obviously pre-ban because Glock magazines made after September 1994 are stamped with that text and Sep 1994 date. Now, if you're like me and have several post ban legal magazines purchased either during or after the ban expired in 2004, then...that's a bit harder. I kept the receipts for my magazines, but I don't know how much "proof" that is because they aren't serialized like a gun is.

As for the gun, I'm not sure when Glocks with the finger grooves came out, but my G19 was purchased in 1994, but made before the ban. The grip only has texturing and no finger grooves and definitely no rail. If that's the case, then the Glock is obviously pre-ban. But, don't expect a cop to know that...

Here's an interesting article about CA and legal open carry.

‘Open carry’ advocates wear guns to mall

CA definition of open carry from the column on the right:

Open carry: Term for carrying an unloaded gun in plain sight, with ammunition carried separately.

When I went on vacation to San Diego this past May and took my handgun with me, I went out and bought a used 10 rd mag, I figured the $9 was worth it.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    When I went on vacation to San Diego this past May and took my handgun with me, I went out and bought a used 10 rd mag, I figured the $9 was worth it.
    That is great advice. I have a 10 round magazine for every "high cap" pistol I own. Mainly because most of them were bought during the AWB and I sure as hell wasn't paying $80-100 at the gunshows for existing "high cap" magazines.

You can use Google just as easily as I can...but, here goes...

http://www.californiaopencarry.org/C...aOpenCarry.pdf

Are the mags over 10 rounds and NOT stamped "LE/Gov't only"? If so, then those are obviously pre-ban because Glock magazines made after September 1994 are stamped with that text and Sep 1994 date. Now, if you're like me and have several post ban legal magazines purchased either during or after the ban expired in 2004, then...that's a bit harder. I kept the receipts for my magazines, but I don't know how much "proof" that is because they aren't serialized like a gun is.

As for the gun, I'm not sure when Glocks with the finger grooves came out, but my G19 was purchased in 1994, but made before the ban. The grip only has texturing and no finger grooves and definitely no rail. If that's the case, then the Glock is obviously pre-ban. But, don't expect a cop to know that...
    I've been searching/Googling, but I didn't see anything definitive about what "import" actually means here. I didn't see anything relating to that in the document you linked to.
    Any Glock is easy enough to see the manufacture date by just searching the serial number. Mine was made in '02. I also bought some new hi-caps a few weeks ago that were not marked LEO ONLY, so the only thing that marking would tell you is if they were made SHORTLY after the AWB. Also, the 1994 national AWB is different from CA's 2001 AWB date.
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel

That is great advice. I have a 10 round magazine for every "high cap" pistol I own. Mainly because most of them were bought during the AWB and I sure as hell wasn't paying $80-100 at the gunshows for existing "high cap" magazines.
    I have 10-rounders for my G22/17, but that one doesn't have a slide for a few more weeks.
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel

Don't know then... As another poster mentioned, I'd just pick up a cheap 10 round magazine (or three) and just take those. No worries at all. Do you really expect to get into a gunfight and need more than 10, 20, or 30 rounds depending on the number of loaded mags you might carry?

As for the Glock, if possible, I'd keep a copy of the purchase receipt with me showing the serial number and date of purchase with the name/number of the gun store it was purchased from because it's better than nothing. Of course, this is assuming you didn't buy it used via private transfer...

Bill, when is your trip? Do you have time to order? Here's a link for "low capacity" magazines. I hate that term, but... And, not as cheap as $9, either...

TopGlock.com: Glock Magazines Low Capacity

edited to add: Just re-read where you were going this weekend, so I guess ordering isn't going to work for this trip. Can you swing by J&G Sales down in Prescott on the way? I'd call them and see what they have. I'll bet they have 10 rounders...

Meaning of "import"

"Import" of high capacity magazines into California simply means to bring them into the state for any purpose. It does not specifically refer to sale of the magazines. It is a felony under CA law to import a high capacity magazine into the state. Go to the CA Dept. of Justice website to confirm this.

The only people (other than LEOs) who can possess high capacity magazines in CA are those who lived in CA prior to 1/1/2000 and owned the magazines in
    CA before that date. This is a "grandfather" clause.

I would advise you to forget about taking your Glock and your existing magazines, which hold more than 10 rounds. Just take your revolver and keep it locked and empty until you are in your hotel room, then load it and keep it in the room. Carry a folding knife or pepper spray on the street if you are nervous, but don't carry the gun.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links