changing sights on an M&P.

This is a discussion on changing sights on an M&P. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just received the Trijicon night sights I ordered for my M&P and was throwing around the idea of installing them myself. Does anyone have ...

Thread: changing sights on an M&P.

changing sights on an M&P.

I just received the Trijicon night sights I ordered for my M&P and was throwing around the idea of installing them myself.

Does anyone have any experience with changing the sights on an M&P or know of a place I can find some information on it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Most gunsmiths will do it for a small price.
    Sometimes you have to do some file work.
    If not done correctly it can mess up the sight alignment.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I've installed numerous sights on 1911's. It's a job that requires patience and careful filing with the correct file.
    Sometimes driving out the old sight requires quite a bit of muscle and a hammer and punch of course. Do all the work in a padded vise.
    Installing the new sights can be tricky. With night sights, they have to fit snug enough so that they stay in, but loose enough that you don't have to pound hell out of them during installation. The tritiun vials can rupture easily.
    If the front sight is also dovetailed it would install the same way. On 1911's a special tool is needed up front.
    Brownells sells the tools you'll need, ask them for the correct file for the M&P.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I'm pretty sure I won't need a file. The pistol has white dot Novaks on it right now, and the Trijicon sights look identical, except they're night sights. I've been reading that the stock sights are in really tight.

You might want to look around the mp-pistol.com forum. At least one of the better M&P gunsmiths (Dan Burwell) is a member there.

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    .....Installing the new sights can be tricky. With night sights, they have to fit snug enough so that they stay in, but loose enough that you don't have to pound hell out of them during installation. The tritiun vials can rupture easily........
    Yes, and for that reason using a hammer and punch is probably a bad idea. A sight pusher is the right tool and will get the job done with little force and no damage. Yes, they are expensive, but so is your gun and the sights. If you don't have a pusher I suggest going to a gunsmith... you'll be glad you did.

Gun control is not the answer. Gun control is the question. The answer is NO.

Thanks for the advice, I think I will go to a gunsmith. I don't want to damage my new sights by rupturing the ampules. I just need to find one in the Denver Metro area. Can they usually do it same day? I can't imagine it takes them a long time.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

Actually..........

Quote Originally Posted by wheel View Post
    Yes, and for that reason using a hammer and punch is probably a bad idea. A sight pusher is the right tool and will get the job done with little force and no damage. Yes, they are expensive, but so is your gun and the sights. If you don't have a pusher I suggest going to a gunsmith... you'll be glad you did.

I use a steel or brass punch for removal and a small section of wood dowel for installation. Nary a problem yet........
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I think I will go to a gunsmith. I don't want to damage my new sights by rupturing the ampules. I just need to find one in the Denver Metro area. Can they usually do it same day? I can't imagine it takes them a long time.
    It's a 5-10 minute job for someone who's set up for it. You don't need a full fledged gunsmith for this. I had it done on a Glock at my local gun store by one of the guys who's a Glock armorer. He did it while I waited. He does many and has the right tool which makes it quick and easy.
    Gun control is not the answer. Gun control is the question. The answer is NO.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Use a sight pusher and be aware that there is a small spring under the rear sight.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Links