Defensive Carry banner

From Glock to Sig P220SAO ?

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Thumper 
#1 ·
Hi,

Interested in purchasing a Sig P220 Carry SAO as my three season carry gun and HD gun. I carry a Glock 26 currently (Summer). I've always shot either revolvers (1986-1994) and then went to Glocks (1994-present), so my training/experience has been pretty much with DAO handguns and no safeties. Ive always wanted a SAO that I could fire with consistent very light triggers with minimal slack. I know I will need to train myself with the safeties when firing and re holstering. I thought about 1911's but want something that's reliable right out of the box with simple take down and cleaning. Any advise from you guys would be appreciated. Thanks

#2 ·
Sig P220s are noted for their accuracy. 99% of them are reliable out of the box. It has been praised by Mr. Ayoob as the only service handgun capable of 1" groups at 25 yards. I have one and it is rock solid reliable. Personally I do not like safties for EDC but millions do, so whatever you are comfortable with.

#4 ·
I've got the same gun. It does take a bit of time to adjust to the safety, but that's what training is for.

It's everything that Sig's are know for. Accurate and "To Hell and Back Reliability". Be sure to get it with night sights. Oh, and make sure you've got a good, stiff belt for carry. My soft belt works fine for my combat tupperware, but the weight of the Sig drags it down.

#5 ·
My daughter has a 220. She loves it for off duty. On duty she has to carry a Glock. I am addicted to the 1911 but have shot her Sig and it IS a fine weapon. If I buy a SAO though, it will be a 1911. My next purchase: Products & Services

#6 ·
Thanks, my biggest complaint with the true 1911 is the extra take down time, cleaning and maintaining that's involved. Especially coming from a Glock.

#8 ·
I have a 220 SAO and just a couple things. It is one of the smoothest triggers you will find right out of the box, it compares very well with the 1911 triggers I had on the weapons issued to me when I was on an Army Pistol Team (AMU). Also if you can use a 1911 you shouldn't have any problem with the safety, it's very similar.

I know I'm bias, but I'd take it over any Glock, any day of the week! (Mod hat on... That is my opinion, and NOT an invitation for an argument in this thread!)

If you have a chance to try one before purchase I think you'll find it's a great weapon. I like the SAO trigger on the 220 more than the DA/SA triggers on my other SIGs. (Have never shot DAK)

#10 · (Edited)
Love my P220 SAO! I traded a G30 for it. Best thing I've ever done for a gun trade. I was originally wanting another 1911 style pistol, but in my opinion, the SIG SAO is better. I've been total Glock for around ten years. The SIG has a nice trigger, and reset. My P220R-45-TSS-SAO is probably the best 45acp pistol I've ever had, handled, and shot. I'm sure the 'Carry' model follows right along with it. I have no problem transitioning from the Glocks, nor any issues with the thumb safety location or operation. I do like being able to rack the slide and chamber a round with the thumb safety engaged though. Very nice feature IMO.

#11 ·
Thanks to you and everyone else for some very useful info. I need to get to the gun shop and find a 220 SAO or maybe a Kimber Pro Carry to compare.

#12 ·
The SIG 220 SAO is a great weapon, and it is my IDPA competition gun of choice. If I may make a couple of suggestions though...

SIG does not exactly have the "hell and back reliability" of old anymore, according to a lot of people. You might still get an excellent P220 straight from the factory these days, but it might be worth looking for a used or CPO (certified pre-owned) model that's a few years old.

Second thing is that barrel length does not have anywhere near as much of an effect on concealability as grip size. No less a personage than Bruce Gray, major deity of SIG gunsmithing, has recommended getting the fulltill, size P220, even as a CCW, because the Carry wears significantly faster.

Still, I own a Carry and it is a great shooter.

#13 ·
I think the only thing you might not like is that the P220 SAO will be heavier than your used to but it's still very doable! :smile:

I carry mine in a UBG Canute!

There are many 1911s that a equally as reliable and easy to take down by the way. :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.