Just bought Taurus 709

This is a discussion on Just bought Taurus 709 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought a Taurus 709 stainless for $422 including tax. Shot 100 rounds of Blazer Brass with 1 small problem. Twice the slide held ...

Thread: Just bought Taurus 709

Just bought Taurus 709

I just bought a Taurus 709 stainless for $422 including tax. Shot 100 rounds of Blazer Brass with 1 small problem. Twice the slide held open with the last round in the magazine visable. Both times I was caught off guard when I saw a round in there. I fixed the problem by closing the slide and fireing the gun. I don't know if this counts as a malfunction or not.

I ordered a highnoon Mr. Softy since they make one for the 709 and it is a stocking item! Today I carried it with an uncle mikes pocket holster #4 to work in Woolrich Elite Shorts. The only thing that might scream gun was a slight crease to the left of the magazine pocket. I also carried the other magazine in my other pocket.

2. Remove Ads

Yes, it counts as a malfunction... something was wrong if the last round didn't load or got caught in the mag. Other than that, how did it shoot ????

Other than the two malfuctions it shot pretty good. I need to adjust the sight a little as I believe it shoots low. Also I need to practice dry fireing w/snap caps and a penny, due to long trigger pull. The grip pannel in the rear seemed too textured for exatended shooting sessions. But this gun was designed for self defense, and in that role I bet it does very well. I am going to 9mm from 380 and gaining one round.

Run about 300 more rounds through it and see if settles down before seriously judging it's reliability either way. I would try a couple of other types of ammo as well and 50 to 100 rounds of your carry load. I have a Taurus 24 7 and it's been a good shooter with no problems at all OTB. Good luck.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    You may have pushed up the slide stop by accident. The gun is small, and your hands could be kind of bunched up there inadvertently locking the slide open. Check your grip.

I fondled a 709 at a gun show and it felt rather nice in my hand. However, didn't buy it because I already have a Kahr CW9 and the two guns are too similar to get another.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I was thinking that I pushed the slide stop too but it was the last round both times. I will run some self defense and WWB thru it here soon. It's not real pretty but I will try to load a pic when I get a chance.

709-1.jpg

709-2.jpg

709-3.jpg

Here are some pics taken with my cell sorry bout the quality. Also you can see my hand in a few of them, my hands are a little small, but not carny small.

You know; carnies. Circus folk, small hands, smell like cabbage...
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Yep, LOL

RBL
    200 rounds of WWB through mine with no malfunctions at all.

I've been very tempting to pick one of these up too. Would be a nice backup to the primary when traveling. I haven't yet simply because it's so new, but the reports overall have been very good.

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    congrats
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Quote Originally Posted by Irontoad View Post
    Other than the two malfuctions it shot pretty good. I need to adjust the sight a little as I believe it shoots low. Also I need to practice dry fireing w/snap caps and a penny, due to long trigger pull. The grip pannel in the rear seemed too textured for exatended shooting sessions. But this gun was designed for self defense, and in that role I bet it does very well. I am going to 9mm from 380 and gaining one round.
    I get the snap caps, but what do you do with the penny?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

cj
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I get the snap caps, but what do you do with the penny?
    I would guess: balance it on the barrel and try to not knock it off through the entire trigger pull. Helps with maintaining position through the entire pull.

yeah that's what the penny is for. I think it's helping. here soon I will gobble up some WWB and Speer 124HP's though it hurts me to test them @ 20+ a box.

Links