Defensive Carry banner

Putting a Glock 19 barrel in a Glock 26

62K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  TimeCop 
#1 ·
I carry a Glock 26. (That is the subcompact with a 3.5" barrel, for all you heathens :image035:). I was thinking of putting in a G19 (compact with a 4.0" barrel) barrel to get the advantage of carrying a compact gun, but in a smaller frame. The barrel will stick out a bit, but that is OK. May even look scarier to a BG.

I was just wondering if any one else does this.

#2 ·
I carry a Glock 26. (That is the subcompact with a 3.5" barrel, for all you heathens :image035:). I was thinking of putting in a G19 (compact with a 4.0" barrel) barrel to get the advantage of carrying a compact gun, but in a smaller frame.
If you have a longer barrel then it isn't a compact gun anymore, right ? You might as well have the long slide to go with it. You're only talking an additional 1/2" on the frame anyway.

The barrel will stick out a bit, but that is OK. May even look scarier to a BG.
If you've had to pull your gun on a bad guy it should be time to shoot in defense of yourself, not review the bad factor of your piece. Kinda hard to tell how long the barrel is anyway if it's pointed right at them, eh ? :wink:

#4 ·
Nope....never tried it, and don't think I will for carry. But for fun, and just to see and take a picture of it just to show how ugly it will look....I might just put my G23 upper on my G27 lower. Or i could put my G19 upper on my G27 lower, or I could just put either the G19 or G23 barrel in the G27. Or....we'll just see.

#5 ·
Well, I did this only for the pics. I will say that it's not only ugly, but I don't think I'll be carrying this hybrid, or testing it at the range. I also feel there might be issues with the recoil assembly. The barrel swap alone I could see, but that's about it. My G23 upper on my G27 lower. Enjoy.

#6 ·
Yea it works. Would I carry it that way? No.

If you want the glock 19 slide length with the glock 26 grip, then find a glock 19 and have the grip worked down to a glock 26 size. The glock 26 mags will fit it, and you will have the longer slide. For that matter, you could do the same thing with a glock 17 as well.

edit to add: I only did a barrell swap, not a slide swap like Ram Rod suggested. And like Ram Rod said, I wouldn't feel comfortable range testing a slide swap as well.

#7 ·
If you want the glock 19 slide length with the glock 26 grip, then find a glock 19 and have the grip worked down to a glock 26 size. The glock 26 mags will fit it, and you will have the longer slide. For that matter, you could do the same thing with a glock 17 as well.
Bingo. I considered doing this with my G19, but just couldn't bring myself to having someone hack my beloved 19.:embarassed:

Spent more money, but I'm very happy with my G26.:yup:

#8 ·
I'd forgotten about the guide rod and spring sticking out. I was more curious from a design standpoint... like a 1911 with a commander length slide/frame but with the shorter officer's sized grip.

#9 ·
Up here all the G19 and G26's have 106mm barrel, it looks ugly, but it is a legal requirement. Little does the governement realize is that they are just making the gun more effective and increasing it's stopping power. If they bothered with logic and facts, they would force us to own guns with barrels less than 4" and have guns no larger than .380

Here is the G26
http://www.blueline-activities.com/shop/popup_image.php?pID=325

#11 · (Edited)
You certainly can put a G19 barrel in your G26. It's completely compatible, gives you the extra 50-75 f/s velocity, and has no drawbacks. There is no need to put an entire G19 slide on the G26 (and I agree it looks pretty bad and may not even work reliably). Just drop in the barrel. Doing so does NOT make it a large gun. People really don't understand that it's the GRIP that makes a gun large and hard to conceal, not the barrel (unless we're talking 5" or over). The extra length of the G19 barrel is undetectable while carrying - you just can't tell which barrel is installed. If we were talking about going to a 5" or 6" barrel, that would be different. But a 4" barrel is just too short to have any noticeable effect.

But put an A&G grip extender on there with a G19 mag, and you can instantly tell you now have "a big gun". For me the long and heavy G19 grip is too uncomfortable while sitting. And it really prints if you carry tucked. The G26 is a breath of fresh air by comparison. So putting the G19 barrel in it gives the best of both worlds.

Oh, and chopping down a G19 grip to me really seems like a waste. The only advantage it would give you over the G26 with G19 barrel is a slightly longer sight radius, which isn't very significant ( many people report they shoot the G26 more accurately than the G19). And you end up with heavier gun... overall this idea doesn't seem to offer any advantage to me.

#12 · (Edited)
It can be done and it works. I have a G23 ported barrel in my G27. I also changed the springs to Wolff uncaptured 18 lb., CT Lasergrips, and GAP Enterprises magazine floorplate.

With the ported barrel and heavier Wolff recoil spring, it shoots like a G26.

It's also my on-duty bug and my off-duty carry pistol.

#16 ·
You can buy aftermarket ported barrels. The one on my G27 is a Glock replacement barrel that someone ported. I bought it used and shot it a lot before I really started using it.

The porting job is somewhere between professional and do-it-yourself in quality. Not as good as it could be but not a hatchet job either.

Sometime in the future, I'm going to buy a G23 replacement barrel from Glock and send it to Mag-Na-Port to have it done right.

#15 ·
Just be aware that the aftermarket barrels all have tight chambers (for better accuracy) and therefore are not as reliable as Glock OEM. Some people find them reliable but many have FTF's etc. If it's just for fun, they're fine, but not for CCW IMHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.